Still trapped in a nightmare

Hi

I thought it couldn't get any worse but after Johns second cardiac arrest yesterday in ICU, doctors ran tests & found out that he has blood poisoning called sepsis, it's bacterial. Doctors have said he got sepsis from the infected incision area from the nureosurgery to stop the bleeding inside his brain from a burst vien, he had 8 days ago. They've started him on IV antibiotics yesterday evening & have told us that it will be 2-4 days before they know if the antibiotics have worked. He's still critically ill in a deep coma, not medically induced.

It now been 8 days since he was rushed to hospital & all I & his family want is for him to get better.

Laura

Hi

We're praying 24/7 for his recovery & will continue to with the help of the hospital Chaplin, who visits John in the ICU once a day. The Chaplin is kept up to date by ICU staff about John condition. We will not give up hope whatever the doctors say!

Thank you for your kind words.

Laura

Kerr, you might want to post a prayer request in the prayer group. Keeping you all in my thoughts.

Dear Laura, I have been through similar anguish with my husband. I share briefly what I learned: this is a marathon, not a sprint, pace yourself; eat well every day, not junk food, you cope better with proper nutrition and hydration; use alcohol gel every time you get a chance to keep your hands clean, you do not want to pick up bugs going around an ICU or bring new ones in; hold John’s hand, talk to him, my chaplain told me to rub my husband’s arms and legs to help his body awarenss, at the very least it gave me something practical to do; the chaplain also told me that my husband was on a journey, and while I could not be with him, I could remind him of home, I kept telling him to “come back to me” . Several months later when my husband’s memory began to return, those words were all be remembered of his 5 weeks in and out of coma in ICU. People will talk about living a day at a time. In ICU you live an hour at a time. Each hour is a victory. John and all of you who are supporting him and his wife are in my prayers.

Praying for you and your family

Thankyou Judy for the advice, even though I & Johns wife are doing some of the advice already, we will keep it in mind.

Thankyou both for your kind words.

Laura