Thought process?

Jeannine,

I would ask my doctor if I could have an Rx for Xanax for those 11 days!!!

Laurie

Hi Laurie, thanks for your thoughts and wishes for me. I am so sorry for you and your husband recovering from such an ordeal. No one can really imagine what each person is going through. I know I'm in a different place. Thanks for the suggestion to have a plan of what to do after surgery. So far, I know I'll be in pain, but also everyone says the relief is the best. I can't wait for that. At least after the surgery there will be something for me to do right? GET BETTER! Right now, NOTHING!! Yuck Yuck!

Laurie said:

Jeannine,

My husband is the survivor of 2 ruptured aneurysms. You are in such a better place than he was by dealing with this before it bursts! You don't want blood laying on your brain cells for long. It's because he was not found for 17 hours, the second time, that his outcome is much worse than the first time. Not to say you shouldn't be scared, I would be, but just to know that you are in a Completely Different category than those who had a burst aneurysm. Even then, the outcome can be excellent. Maybe it would help to make some plans for things you want to do after the surgery to give you something to look forward to and focus on?

Wishing you the best,

Laurie

J Knights said:

Hi,

anyone who's posted to this discussion. You all have different yet simlar experiences and lingering recovery issues. You don't always say if you were clipped with SAH and I'm trying to distinquish that since I think it's probably important. I feel for all of you, sincerely, I do.

I am having surgery in 12 days and am beyond terrified so good stories of course make me calmer, some of the others scare the crap out of me. I know I shouldn't be going there but it's hard not to.

Thanks,

Jeannine

Laurie, funny, I do have xanax. Sometimes it doesn't work so I take another anti-anxiety med, which has happened several times in the last few weeks. She also gave me a third which ends up making me sleepy so I nap and then I'm fine until the next time. I'm also bipolar so I have a harder time processing my feelings. They feel stronger and last longer than other people...ahhhhh, the joys of bipolar. It's not just some mood swings, which I thankfully don't have the extreme ups and downs like other. Depression mostly, then sometimes it's called hypomania, just more energy, more social, happier, talkative, stuff like that. I get lots done that way!!! Meds have actually kept me at an even keel for about 8 months! I am so afraid the surgery/recovery will affect me harder as well. Just hope it doesn't affect the balance. Sorry for divulging so much, didn't mean to. Take care.

Laurie said:

Jeannine,

I would ask my doctor if I could have an Rx for Xanax for those 11 days!!!

Laurie

Jeannine,

I understand about divulging and stronger emotions, I’m that way too but not diagnosed as bipolar. I have depression and some anxiety. I have about one hypomanic day a month, wish I could have more!

I know that with Xanax and other drugs in the same family that a person can develop tolerance to them fairly easily, thus requiring that you increase the dose. Of course, you should check with your doctor before doing so but that might help.

I like to listen to an audiobook and do a jigsaw puzzle online at the same time to really distract myself from ruminating. [jigsawplanet.com] It takes all my concentration to do both at once. Maybe it will work for you? Your local library may have audiobooks that you can download for free.

The bottom line is that you can’t control the outcome of your surgery and that is scary for anyone. I would make a deal with myself along the lines of, “I’m going to go through with this and let it happen unless I get some really strong premonition to not do it.” That would give me an out but help me “allow” it to happen.

Be sure and post a note here the day before you go in so that we can all be thinking of you on The Day. I think that helps. Can’t say why, just have a feeling about it!

Laurie

Jeannine,

This link talks about various supplements to help with anxiety.

http://www.marsvenus.com/blog/john-gray/simple-solutions-for-overcoming-anxiety?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Simple+Solutions+for+Anxiety&utm_content=Natural+Solutions+for+Overcoming+Anxiety&utm_campaign=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.marsvenus.com%2Fblog%2Fjohn-gray%2Fsimple-solutions-for-overcoming-anxiety&_bta_tid=3.g_0.CObufA.D1yf.ARbpdA..AW7Wcw.b..l.CC7k.a.VFw_dw.VFw_dw.OIYPLQ&_bta_c=i7wsyh2l2cqp7x3a95svedok213mm

If that doesn't work go to marsvenus.com and do a search for "simple solutions for overcoming anxiety."

I have used L-Theanine for situations and it does work. I also have used a similar protein shake but I get it for a lot less $$ through iherb.com I use the brand MRM. Near the end of the video he talks about a super-duper supplement for special times and that sounds like what you need, since the Rxs you have aren't controlling your anxiety.

iherb.com ships pretty fast but I live close to it. I used to buy the protein shake at Whole Foods. I bet you can find all of it in a health food store or WFs.

I do believe John Gray is right about needing these foods in order to make the brain chemicals we need. Especially when we are in high-stress situations that seem to use them up quickly!

Take care,

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for all the advice, it can be overwhelming to handle reality, meaning looming surgery, let alone taking care of yourself emotionally and physically. I am going to the gym and trying to get plenty of rest. This also helps with anxiety and passes the time, all this waiting and time to think stinks as everyone knows. I have this list of things to do before surgery and each day I try, usually with the help of my husband, to get some of it done. DDay is coming so I'm on a deadline....Question, what is an online puzzle? Sounds like fun.

I will post that I'm having surgery the day before so I can have lots of good thoughts and prayers my way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeannine
Laurie said:

Jeannine,

This link talks about various supplements to help with anxiety.

http://www.marsvenus.com/blog/john-gray/simple-solutions-for-overco...

If that doesn't work go to marsvenus.com and do a search for "simple solutions for overcoming anxiety."

I have used L-Theanine for situations and it does work. I also have used a similar protein shake but I get it for a lot less $$ through iherb.com I use the brand MRM. Near the end of the video he talks about a super-duper supplement for special times and that sounds like what you need, since the Rxs you have aren't controlling your anxiety.

iherb.com ships pretty fast but I live close to it. I used to buy the protein shake at Whole Foods. I bet you can find all of it in a health food store or WFs.

I do believe John Gray is right about needing these foods in order to make the brain chemicals we need. Especially when we are in high-stress situations that seem to use them up quickly!

Take care,

Laurie

Hi Jeannine,

Good to hear from you! I'm glad that exercise is helping you! The puzzles I do online are jigsaw puzzles. They are free at jigsawplanet.com. If you register on their site you can upload your own images and solve those. It's still free. If you chose one of the categories under the "Explore" tab you can then hold your cursor over the top right corner of the image and select how many pieces you want to play it in. Watch out for the ones that have the pieces rotated. I can't remember the image that tells you this it might be an image on a 45 degree angle. For these ones you have to turn each piece! I think a person needs certain mental skills, that I don't have, to enjoy that kind of puzzle.

Also, if you want to try out an audiobook for free audible.com lets you have any one you want for free. Some are much much longer than others. They have a very good selection covering all sorts of things. If you get a subscription you can return any books you don't like and get a refund. I return about one-quarter of what I get and I've never had any trouble. They also have sales and a special deeply discounted book for sale every day. No, I have no financial interest in them, it has just enriched my life so much I love telling other people about them. You might enjoy downloading some to an iPod or similar device to listen to during your recovery.

Keep being positive, it's a good habit!

Laurie

I was fortunate not to have a rupture but it was close...I just had 2 clipped last Monday successfully but find that the meds make me fuzzy and unstable that are for seizures and swelling. My mind is a bit fuzzy so I am thinking that is part of the recovery process? I would say to keep writing notes and try to stay in a habit based living so you regain thought processes, habits return quickly to you. Best of luck, and don't call the ex :-)