Straining

This may seem like a silly question, but it's been bugging me for months now. Is it possible to cause a brain aneurysm to develop or rupture through straining (Valsalva maneuver)? I am talking about the type of straining that one encounters during weight lifting, defecation, or stretching (holding your breath and then "bearing down").

I am a 24-year-old male with none of the risk factors listed on this website (except for blood pressure that is a few mmHg above normal, and obesity, which I am working to reduce). Despite this, I have been in constant fear for about five months that I might have a brain aneurysm. I am prone to getting tension-type headaches, particularly at certain times of the day or during certain activities. However, I have been getting headaches my whole life, and my mother and sister also have headaches.

I have also visited my primary care physician and my psychiatrist, both of whom have told me numerous times that a brain aneurysm is extremely unlikely and that I do not need an MRI or a CT scan. Despite their reassurance, I am still struggling with this fear on a daily basis. In particular, I am worried that I will cause an aneurysm to develop or rupture by performing one of those activities that I have listed above. I always get a "head rush" in those situations. Any thoughts?

I don't believe that you can develop one thru straining but there is a chance that if you already have one, straining could rupture it. I was worried about that before my surgery and researched it. There are a lot of articles on line that identify potential hazards. Caffeine seems to be the biggest trigger, which really surprised me.

http://www.fyiliving.com/research/8-triggers-and-risk-factors-for-aneurysm-identified/

This sounds discouraging. Caffeine can often be used to alleviate constipation, avoiding straining to defecate. Also, exercise alleviates obesity, which can cause high blood pressure.

It seems like we have a no-win situation here.

Hi ... Only a Doctor through tests can diagnose a Brain Aneursym. If you really feel you are experiencing a rupture, go to the ER. For all of us who have Brain aneurysm we must be careful of straining or we can rupture our Annie's. I have Brain Aneurysm and I see a GI for my chronic constipation and he gives me something so I don't strain. I exercise and walk and I have brain aneurysm's...I have high blood pressure, it is controlled by medication... Hope this information helps you...~ Colleen

I definitely don't think I am experiencing a rupture -- otherwise, I probably wouldn't by typing this. I am fairly certain that my headaches are stress-related. I struggle with anxiety, and I think that my fears may just be hypochondria.

As I previously mentioned, I have spoken to both my primary care physician and my psychiatrist, and they don't think that I need to get an MRI or a CT scan. I don't have any of the risk factors listed on this website, except for obesity and a blood pressure of about (130/85). I am working diligently to lower both my weight and blood pressure.

Are there any other ways in which I can be proactive in avoiding an aneurysm development or rupture?

Doctors donot know why brain aneurysm's happen...they only know what makes them worse...ie., genetic's, smoking, stress, high blood pressure, etc.,