Just wondering

Does anyone know what factor caused your aneurysm or rupture? Stress, high BP, smoking, amphetimine use, genetics, an unhealthy combination of all causes? Has anyone made any lifestyle changes to prevent this from happening again?

Chronic cocaine and alcohol abuse along with being a long time smoker led to my ruptured annie. I can no longer party like Charlie Sheen.

Strictly genetics for me

Nobody really could narrow it down but I expect lifestyle had something to do with it.

My son was born with his, genetics. Taylor blessed us with his amazing personality and spirit for 15 years.

Mine was unruptured - I didn’t smoke, do drugs, nor drink alcohol. Blood pressure is normal. I live a sedentary life. Doctors say it can be genetics and I’ll take that. I was told not to do any heavy lifting, go on thrill rides, smoke, do heavy exercise or I will be risking rupture.

I have no life-style risk factors whatsoever and never have - no drugs, smoking, my BP runs low not high. But mine is probably genetic - my dad had a rupture and I have multiple - which I learned also supports the genetic theory (multiple aneurysms, that is).

I did not have a aneyrtsm but my husband has a massive brain aneurysm in september and was declared brain dead…they said his was more than likely caused by diabetes and high blood pressure…

my 5mm anny ruptured in oct 09…was a social smoker…when i drank,i needed a cig…i havent smoked since then n very rarely drink,just dont have the desire anymore…spend more time doing more family stuff n have strengthened my relationship with God…life is just overall better n i dont let things get to me as easily as they used to …life is good n God is great…hope ur doing great…

hi, Tiffinny, great topic. I wonder how much effect does coffee and stress have on it? Happy Easter!!

I heard somewhere that coffee is a good antioxidant and reduces your risk of a stroke. Coffee beans contain antioxidants, some of which become especially potent during the roasting process. Of course, everything in moderation.

Not sure...I was told they (Doctors) have no cause for aneurysm...infact, I joined a study at University of Florida...with my DNA...so they can maybe eventually come up with causes ...

Great post...Hugs Colleen

Hi Karen...I live in Lakeland Florida ...(btwn Orlando and Tampa)...we moved here 4 years ago...hubby was transferred...he has always wanted to retire here...so it is nice that we have now established ourselves...with good friends, and a nice home...

I know you aren't going to believe this...but I have never been to the East Coast of Florida...someday...we always vacationed Siesta Key or Casey Key along the gulf...

I had my Coil Surgery at Shands in Gainsville...they were super ... infact, just got my letter for my 1st angiogram checkup...you and Jaycie are my inspiration .. that this will all go well...even if I am a little nervous...but not until June...Happy Easter ... !

Hi karen...You are so kind...

I was told West Palm Beach and Miami Hospitals are very good...

Well then my Dear...Happy Belated Passover...!

I will keep on telling myself...good results are on their way...

One question? R U still on Blood thinners...(aspirin, plavix, etc.,) just curious, how long one is on these drugs...

Karen,

Your 17 days in ICU is tremendous; how long were you hospitalized before D/C?

It appears you have been truly blessed...

They said mine was probably congenital, since it was dissecting and I had no history of any NORMAL causes of a dissecting aneurysm. I have no family history of aneurysms though.

Hi Colleen - I hope you'll find my post here! Since my recent angio, I no longer am taking aspirin - I'd been on plavix for the first weeks post surgery, then just the aspirin, and now neither. It's psychologically nice to not have to take it every day!

How are you? I think I won't get the msg if you post here, but send me a note on my page. Thinking of you!

genetics for me according to my dr. because i do not smoke and i am a lite drinker.

D/C = discharge...you definitely are a lucky one...means you had great neuros / treatment... and, timely diagnostics... Overall, you were blessed.

When you have time, can you share where your aneurysm is/was located and if you had surgery/clip or interventional coiling?

Oh Karen...glad I am not alone...I know where my annie was located, but have not a clue how many coils...I see that so many know ... not me...

Have a beautiful day...summer is definitely here in Florida...

Hugs to you Colleen