Slightly scared in all honesty

Hello my nameis Ellen And im 21 years of age. im from st.louis missouri.I found out I had a brain aneurysm when I was admired into a hospital for other reason in September they only said it was 5mm. After I was out of the hospital I made an appointment with a nuerosurgeon and I go to school 3 1/2 hours away from my home town. I went to him and he though it was larger than what the hospital told me. He thought it was 8mm so we discussed surgery options he wants to do it ASAP because of family history. My parents on my other hand ( and I hate to say this) are kind of in denial of this. So I’ll be having surgery in may a clipping. But my doctor is scared it will rupture and so am I. It’s hard walking around school 3 1/2 hours away from my doctor. Oh yea the hospitals down at my school are TERRIBLE. So that’s my stress. Sorry to complain. But I had to get that off my chest.

Being scared is hard when you know you have this dangerous thing inside you, could rupture, you could be far from help... Seems like you need to balance your need for a "safe" environment with getting it treated as soon as you can. That is a lot of stress. And as we all know, stress doesn't help. Just wanted you to know I get it. Make decisions based on what is best for you, weighing all the factors. Once you've done that, there should be some relief in knowing you're doing all you can, and the stress should subside somewhat. This ain't no walk in the park.

Thank you. It’s just hard because being at this age none of my friends are like truly there for ,e because they are to immature to understand. And them my parents and I haven’t told my family yet really. So only my friends know. So I really feel like I don’t have that much support in the matter. It’s difficult. Very stressful.

Hi Ellen,

Welcome to BAF. I’m very sorry that you have to deal with the stress of a diagnosis of an aneurysm but even sorrier that your doctor has frightened you so.

My aneurysm ruptured when I was 19 years old so I can relate to your youth and the fact that your peers don’t understand. My mom was also in denial about my need for surgery. Fortunately, a good family friend was able to convince her of the need and I was successfully clipped.

Is it possible for you to get a second opinion? Have you already had a diagnostic angiogram? Do you have a trusted physician who can talk with your neurosurgeon to confirm the urgency and/or talk with your parents?

I pray that God will watch over you and keep you safe as you await your surgery.

Take care.

Carole

My nuerosurgeon didn’t really frighten me. And I a, getting a second opinion in march for, another doctor. I trust my nuerosurgeon so much! I had an angiogram done dec 21st it is 8mm. It’s just the frustration of my parents in all honesty

Ellen,

Your parents are frightened. I hope that there is someone they can talk with to help allay their fears.

It’s still hard for my mom to talk about having to make the decision about my surgery all these years later. :frowning:

All the best to you and your family. May God be with you.

Carole