Severe lethargy after Grade 5 annie…how long?

Hi all,

I joined this website 2 weeks ago. Three weeks ago my 69 yo mom had a grade 5 annie. She was not expected to survive. But she has, so far. Just one small vaso-spasm, no delayed hydrocephalus yet. She had the annie coiled. She is still in the hospital waiting to be moved to rehab. She is on antibiotics for pneumonia that had set in 2 weeks ago, and "c diff" (a blood infection that causes colitis, fever, diarrhea, etc). Here is the problem: immune disease docs have ok'd her for rehab. But neuro is concerned that she is so overly lethargic. Sleeping almost all the time, opens her eyes sporadically and will only say a word or two here and there if she is super energetic. Feeding tube was removed a week ago, but her appetite has decreased to almost nothing after three days. I am concerned. Is this normal progression post-annie? i am wondering when I should make the doctors nuts. I have been taking a "let's see" approach until now. But I am getting alarmed that she isn't getting better. They did a video EEG two days ago to rule out absence seizures (invisible seizures). Cat scans look very good, so I am told. So there is really no reason on paper why she isn't responding more. Can anyone shed light/experience on this?? Many thanks. CJ

Hi CJ...Your mom has a lot going on besides her Brain aneurysm...the c diff and the pneumonia have got to be tough on your mom's body and immune system...it is time to talk to the Doctors and see what they advise...it sounds like your mom needs lots of rest and healing time...but not sure why she isn't responding...only Doctor's can help...Thoughts and prayers out to you and your mom ~ Colleen

I myself get very impatient with anything that is stagnant involving ones Loved One in the hospital..,,and unless your mom is improving...I know I'd be hammering at the doctors for some answers...it sounds like the infection is the larger of the evils when it comes to her recovery though, hope they can get it under control soon. Don't hesitate to get more detailed info out of the medical staff/docs, you need to know where your mom is 'at' so to speak, and if they don't explain it well to you ask them to explain it again..... Peace, janet

Thanks for the replies all! I appreciate the thoughtfulness and time you all took to respond. I am comforted by the fact that there is a chance my mother might be able to overcome a good amount of what lies ahead for her.

My mom is being moved to rehab today. The hospital feels like they have done al they can for her for the moment, and that she is stable. Her c diff infection is now under control and her eating is sporadic, but she is eating (at least today she is eating). She also has responded "hospital" when asked if she knows where she is, and she knows we are in year 2014. Interestingly, I have discovered that part of her daytime lethargy is caused by internal clock. Before her annie, for the past 7 years or so, she had become relatively nocturnal. She couldn't get herself to sleep until 4-5 in the morning, and then struggled to wake up at 11am so as not to waste the day. Seems like she is going back into the same routine now in the hospital. It will be interesting how rehab will take place because therapists don't work in the middle of the night. They are planning to give her neuro stimulants (a cocktail of drugs to keep her awake daytime and to sleep nighttime.)

I am still not getting answers as to why she was able to speak so beautifully two days after she stopped receiving Propofol, and why she is now reduced to one and two work answers. I am hoping that the rehab facility will be able to regain what she apparently has lost on the last week or so.

Another question: How long do annie patients typically stay in acute rehab centers? 4 weeks? 8 weeks? 4 months? I don't think my mom has coverage for sub acute rehab, so I will be in really big trouble once she leaves the acute facility she is entering today.

CJ

hi cj, given your moms age and severity of the bleed and the complications she is doing well, it is still early in the recovery phase, at 3 weeks I was pretty out of it, never talked but gave yes/no answers, much like a shy child, i was in rehab 8 weeks, the therapists will do miracles, look for the speech therapist,i fell in love with my therapists and would have walked to Tibet if they asked me too!! they are very encouraging, she needs lots of time and lots of rest~~ keep talking to her, she will relearn how to form sentences, math was impossible at first and subtraction was impossible until 2 yrs, hang in there she will improve!

Thank you so much Ron for the encouraging words! I was hoping someone would give me news like that!! You just made my night. THANK YOU!! I think 8 weeks of rehab sounds about right. Did you stay in the acute rehab place for all 8 weeks or were you transferred to a less intense sub acute rehab place after a few weeks? I am wondering what shape my mom will be in when she comes home. Her house is like a doll-size house. Cannot get a walker through most doorways…never mind a wheelchair! Thank you again!

hi cj! i'm not sure if I was in a acute or sub acute, it was bryn mawr rehab in Malvern, pa I do recall getting moved because they needed a room with the breathing machine, I had the same problem, smallhouse no room for wheelchair, hopefully they will advise you well about re entry to home life, we had to get rid of trip hazards like throw rugs and I had a grab bar installed in the shower. I will friend you and you can write or ask questions direct thru baf e mail,tc, ttyl

Hi CJ - so sorry to hear about your Mom. It seems in recovering from a rupture it is a 1 step forward, 3 steps back kind of thing…and then throw pneumonia and c-diff on top of that. I ruptured in March 2012 and ended up with pneumonia and c-diff also - they are both so taxing on an already tired body. I wasn't at all hungry because the drugs I needed to combat these infections nauseated me. It will and can get better - try to be patient…prayers to your Mom.

Mary

Good Luck to your mom going to rehab...hopefully they will shed some light and give help for speech, walking, etc., Keep us posted on her progress...~ wishing you both well ~ Colleen