Scuba after surgery for a clipping?

I had an anyurism rupture and had it repaired with clipping.
I have a question about scuba diving? Is it safe?

2 Likes

Hey Constance,
This really is a question for your surgeon. There can be a few variables such as type, location, size and intended depth of your dive, all of which can have an impact. Depending on your surgeon’s view/opinion some may recommend a minimum length of time post procedure, some may be of the opinion ‘All fixed’.

But, until you have your surgeon’s opinion, I would suggest some precaution ie snorkelling for a bit before scuba, reintroducing a bit more depth each time, examining the affect for you. I had a similar concern with flying, so the wife and I took a scenic flight. That was OK. So I took an interstate flight, that seemed OK. Next was a long haul flight, Australia to the UK. It was exhausting but again, I seemed OK.

Whilst in the UK we went to mainland Europe by ferry. We caught a flight back to the UK and no sooner were we up, then we were back on the ground again and OMG, I had this man with a sledgehammer trying to bash his way through my forehead, it was horrible. I needed a dark, silent room to recover.

My theory was that with the longer flights, my system had time to adjust with the pressure changes. But with the straight up, straight down sort of trips, the pressures didn’t have that more stable plateau where my system had time to adjust. The medicos had given me the OK to fly and due to the reason for the flight I had to have a medical certificate to travel anyway. But that was nasty bad.

Other than the surgeon’s approval, the only other advice I’d suggest is the old boy scouts motto:
“Be Prepared” Have a plan. If something happens (Heavan forbid) what would you do? Have a ‘dive buddy’, someone to keep an eye, at least initially anyway. The last thing you want is to get down there, something go ‘POP’ and you can’t get yourself back up to the surface. There are also devices such as an inflatable life vests. If you feel something is not right, you can turn a tap and a little gas bottle inflates the vest, hauling you to the surface.

You may be able to simply call the surgeon’s office for an opinion. Often if you need it stated on a document you may need an appointment, but I’d suggest asking the question of them.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

3 Likes

Meryl’s advice is really good - ask your surgeon. I used to scuba dive when I lived in California, the first rule was always to have a diving buddy. Hopefully you always follow that rule. You never know what’s going to happen. I loved going with my brother to get abalone. My favorite place to dive was in Baja California. The ocean was crystal clear there. I haven’t gone into our local waters here in NC. I’ve been told by several divers that the catfish in our man made lakes have catfish bigger than a tall man. One diver had his arm taken off. In NC one doesn’t have to be certified to dive. Hopefully you have been certified, it’s worth the extra cost.

I found this https://dan.org/alert-diver/article/diving-after-brain-surgery/. Reach out to DAN, they may know of a doctor in your area that can clear you to dive, especially if your surgeon doesn’t know much about scuba diving.

2 Likes

I use to scuba. My dr said no deeper than 10 feet. Ask yours

3 Likes

Curious to why your doctor put a limit of 10 feet, is that a “forever” rule or can you dive deeper now? Does your doctor dive? Again, just curious…

1 Like

He said the deeper you go the more pressure. We did study about the pressure during class. He felt the diving could have been one cause

2 Likes

Thank you so much for answering my curiosity, it’s much appreciated. I have t read anything. About scuba diving being a possible cause of an aneurysm rupturing. I do recall Dr. Q-W saying they don’t really know what causes one to rupture. I imagine his guess is as good as any. My cousins are strong believers that mine ruptured because of stress of my job. They are in the medical fields and their guess is as good as any.

I do think if you reach out to DAN, you may find the answer you’re seeking. If you do, please let our members know. I remember after my third procedure, I wanted to try hang gliding. BH said no, I called Dr. Q-W and she said I could do anything I wanted. Unfortunately it rained the next day and our vacation was coming to a close.

1 Like

My neurologist is also a fitness buff, so I was able to ask him some related questions because I enjoyed spending time at a local gym before Annie claimed squatter’s rights in my brain. When I asked him which PT (physical training) activities should I stay away from, he said, “those that increase your heart rate (HR) are generally good, and those that increase your blood pressure (BP) are generally not as good”. It’s the sideway pressure against the arterial walls (BP) that I need to more mindful of than the increased heart rate in the arteries. When I ran this by my cardiologist who has some athletes as patients, he agreed with my neurologist’s comments. Increased and unmanaged BP is also an often by-product of stress.

Oops! My bad. My daughter will use my laptop when she visits, and my laptop inadvertantly logged into her account instead of mine. Mea culpa. :slight_smile: @Peter

@Peter that’s always good knowledge to have! Please let your daughter @911Dispatcher know we said hey!(NC way of saying “hi”:joy:)

1 Like

I’ll check for sure, I’ve been on the flight to Europe with no problems, play a mean game of racquetball and of course sing lead in a rock band as I said. Some rock songs can be exhausting, especially when I sing Rush songs, but I get through them quite nicely!

Thanks,

Constance

2 Likes

Thanks for the advise before I go I will be certified of course! :wink:

2 Likes

Excellent. I’ll reach out to DAN!

2 Likes

I went parasailing. I don’t see much difference!

C

2 Likes

I only had an unruptured one, but while watching it two different neuro surgeons gave me the OK to scuba dive which I did during that year. I have also been diving since my coiling. All has gone well.

1 Like