Returning to work

I had my SAH in September 2015 and tried to return to work as a primary school teacher January 2016, on a phased return. I managed three weeks of just three afternoons per week. I was tearful and anxious all the time and have had to go back on sick leave. I have started to see a counsellor but I have been so surprised at my reaction as I was absolutely fine before Christmas. I think Christmas was a trigger for me- I kept imaging what king of Christmas it would have been for my husband and kids if I had died.

I feel that there is so little guidance and advice about when you can realistically expect to return to work. Is this anyone else’s experience?

Good Afternoon Jayne, Firstly welcome to the UK site! Regarding your question about when is it safe to return to work, I comment as follows.

Regrettably there is no simple answer to this, as we are all different and accordingly we all react differently to these things.

Personally I have had no adverse effects from having 5 of these vile things, 2 coiled and stented and 3 untreated, but then again that is me.

It is a shock to the system when one has a SAH and it takes time to recover from the trauma, each person will react differently both physically an psychologically to the experience and accordingly recovery times will vary.

I found that by getting myself into a regime, ie: gym and exercise daily, this helped and I have never really had to find a recovery period, but as i said we are all different and accordingly react differently to the event.

It was a shock to your system, I would suggest that you set up an appointment with a Neuro psychologist, who will talk you through the recovery period and may also suggest some medication short term for the anxiety etc! They will also allay your fears and anxiety, which are natural, but must now be put to bed, once and for all!

Go private for a quick appointment, it is well worth the money and you will feel better for it, remember there is nothing to fear other than fear itself and that is just a waste of time!

The important thing is for you to chill, like you did before Christmas, you have gone through the worst and it is now time for you to get on with life, lose the negative thoughts, they never happened,so why worry? Worrying causes anxiety, so stop now and enjoy life to the full!

Go well and keep us updated on your progress.

Martinc

Thanks for your advice, Martin. I have been offered some counselling by my employer, which I have accepted, but a quick Google has shown a neuro psycologist near me, so that might be the next step for me.

I have also found out that there a support group at the hospital where I was treated that meets every month so I will go along to that.

You certainly seem to have been really unlucky to have so many aneurysms, did they all appear at once?

Thanks for your welcome and support.

Hi Jayne, Mine were found by accident, no symptoms at all, 2 have been coiled and stented, the other 3 need open surgery but I am not going there!

To put things in perspective I attach the biggest study carried out on these things that gives the risk factors etc of one of them popping. open up the sub sections in it for more info!

A support group is good, so people can open up and discuss their personal experiences, but beware as we are all different and we will all react differently to our individual experiences.

Do see the local Neuro Psycologist as a priority and they will talk you through the situation and if need be give you medication to relax, get active and be busy and you will quickly overcome your thoughts about the little buggers.

Read the attachment and you will feel more empowered with solid facts.

I hope this helps you in some way.

Kind Regards

Martinc

34-nejm199812103392401.pdf (183 KB)

Hi Again Jayne,

Attached find a great artist and links to some interesting sites, certainly worth listening to and visiting the sites. knowledge is power!

Cheers for now.

Martinc

33-InvisibleIllnessBrainInjuryAwarenessYouTube.url (223 Bytes)

Thanks, Martin. Some interesting stuff there.

Hello Jayne,

I had a Pipeline stent for one aneurysm that never burst. I will say that I tried to go back to work too early. My surgeon told me I could go back two days after the surgery, if I felt up to it. I took a week off and tried to go back and it was too soon. I tried again in a few days and it was still too soon. Despite everything going well and feeling as if nothing in my life had changed, I had emotional side effects that I was not expecting. Be kind to yourself. I think the advise form Martin about a Neuro Psychologist is worth looking into. Best of luck!

NYC

Jayne, I think you’re a fighter, and that’s a good thing! Martin has some great advice and I’m glad you’re going to check out the Neuro Psychologist. I also believe support groups are a good thing, but like Martin said, everyone is different. Think of the support group like your class of students, everyone comes from somewhere different, has different life experiences and learns differently. Good luck!

Thanks for your support, NYC and Moltroub. I just think that I have been surprised by my recent emotional reaction, especially as I was fine for three months!
Looking back at some of the articles I read previously, they do mention the emotional efferent but I must have just skipped over that as it wasn’t my experience at the time.

It is a journey. Be patient and kind to yourself. Life has changed, but you can get through this!

Ms. Jayne, I think what happens is we get comfortable in the ICU and then at home. Comfortable isn’t the correct word, but I can’t think of it. We get in a routine, we know we are healing and all the energy goes into it. When we venture out, we get a lot more stimuli which we are not able to control. For instance two years out I cannot have the television on when on this site. And although my Neuro Psych evaluation said I can multi task, I’m finding that to be an inaccurate statement. No matter how hard I practice it effects my speech, tremor and thought processes. I still practice daily.

I think you shared it was paperwork that gave difficulty, not the children. Perhaps it’s the level of concentration that’s required or if your with the students and their high energy, going to paperwork lets your body show its tiredness. I think emotions are tied to expectations and reality, those two don’t always coincide. Try working on Lumosity and building up external stimuli, a little at a time. In my personal recovery I see everything as a challenge to solve and try to overcome or find another way. Hope for the best, everyday - work for your best every day. I know you will figure this out!

Hi Moltroub
I know what you mean about getting comfortable. After coming out of hospital, I had so many visitors and friends taking me out for coffee etc and then slowly, everyone started to get back on with their own life , just as they should, and I started to pick up my daily routine, but taking it at my own pace. Then Christmas came and straight back to work, I just wasn’t ready for the pressure and, like you say, the amount of stimulation.

Since I have been at home again this week, I feel a lot calmer and more in control of things. My doctor has signed me off work for another month today and I am going to take my time to make sure I focus on my recovery.

Good for you Ms. Jayne! Good luck! Slow and steady wins the race.