Return to work

I am thinking of returning to work soon. It seems like a relatively short time since I had the SAH judging by what I have read in other’s stories (mine was early November). I am a little worried that if I return to soon and am unsuccessful I will have used up my chance.

Wondering how long you waited to return to your job and what that experience was like for you.

Each person is different in their recovery kellie. I returned to work full time as a RN 9 weeks after a grade 4 sah. Before I was released to go back to work by my rehab physician had me see a neuro psychologist and pass a battery of cognitive tests. I felt ready to go back but this testing just confirmed it. The majority are not ready to go back that quick if at all. You may want to check with your md and have testing done if you are concerned about your cognitive function. Best wishes on continued recover.

Hi Kellie my mum had SAH late November. There’s a few things I have learnt and they are all people are different and individual in recovery times. Listen to your body and go with it. Learn to be the new you and don’t push you’re self to much you’re brain will heal with time. All this in mind if you are ready and feel you want to return to work then that’s a positive but don’t push your self too hard. Sounds like your doing really well but take it easy and don’t be in a rush to do any thing your not a 100 percent about. Time is key x

Hi Kellie, I’ve been thinking the exact same thing. Mine was mid November and I have my follow up visit with my neurosurgeon this coming week. My work doesn’t offer a part time or half day thing. Physically I’m doing well and one of the lucky ones, I’m just still getting so tired when I do too much during the day. Best of luck to you. I think we just have to listen to our bodies and do what’s best for us.

I went back to work four months after mine and it was challenging. Think about part-time and gradually acclimate yourself. Just a thought.

Hi Kellie - I had my SAH this past February and wanted to try to return to work this past October but had lingering issues so didn't do it. Even the human resources department said it's better to stay out unless you are at 100% than to return too early and find out you can't do your job well and then need to go out again. Anyway, I was told by my doctor and Speech Therapist that I could try to return with reduced hours of 3-4 hours a day and then work up to full time in a few weeks. Unfortunately, shortly after I told my work I wouldn't be returning in October after all they eliminated my position so I no longer have a job to return to even with reduced hours. I was hoping I could at least find out if I could even do my job still but that ship has sailed! I also had a neuropsych test and they said the same - return on a limited basis and then work up to full time. I wish now I hadn't told work I might be returning as I was still having issues with noise and lots of activity. But that doesn't mean the same thing wouldn't have happened. Long story short, I would just be sure I was at 100% or try for the reduced hours if your employer will allow it. If you need your employer to make any accomodations for you then be sure to mention it. There are plenty of folks here that have gone back to work soon after their SAH so I hope you hear some success stories. Wish I could be more helpful to you but all I can say is to be sure you are ready. I wish you the best with whatever your decision is!

Hi Kelli,

I returned to work 12 weeks after having my first and second craniotomy. The third craniotomy I was out for six months. You just never know. I had the neuropsychological testing done and it confirmed that I could return to work. When I returned I worked three days from home and two days in the office. My doctor requested this accommodation for about six weeks. I worked full time but in different locations. If you can you may want to discuss this with your doctor. It’s scary going back but you have BAF community of supporters!!

Thanks for all your replies. I followed up with both my surgeon and employer and have decided to give myself a bit more recovery time. Short term memory, fatigue and the ability to concentrate with any sort of distraction are issues that I hope continue to improve and are better prior to me returning to my job.

Good for you Kellie, to hook up with both surgeon and employer. You will be much better for your decision both for your employer and yourself is my guess.

I wound up needing a second surgery to fix a botched first one, so I was on medical leave for 6 months total. My company was great about my return. I started off doing 4 hours a day and now a year later I’m up to 6-7 hours a day. I don’t think I’ll increase it further - too tiring. But it’s nice this way because I see more oft kids after school now. Family and friends are the most important!