Question about coiling and meds

Hey everyone, wondering if people who get just coils (no stent) are put on Plavix or not. I originally was going to get stent and coils, but that would have required Plavix and aspirin plus my usual warfarin or heparin. Now that I’m doing balloon assisted coiling, apparently I won’t need the Plavix and aspirin. My understanding is that the dual anti platelets are for pipelines and stents but not needed just for coils. Before trying to reach the doctor to confirm this thought I’d send the question out to you. Are those of you who have received coils (or are waiting to) being put on Plavix and aspirin or not?
Thanks! Karen

I had coiling (no stent) and was told I had to be on Plavix and aspirin...~ Colleen

after coils my fiance is not on any blood thinners, just antihypertensives

I had coils and a balloon occlusion. I didn't need Plavix and only 3 months aspirin. One of my reason for steering clear of a flow diverting stent which would have required 3 months Plavix and lifelong aspirin. I also had to load with aspiring preop and the fully anticoagulated me with heparin during the procedure. Judith

I had coils and was put on the Plavix/aspirin regime for 17 days prior to surgery and 30 days after surgery. My neurosurgeon wants me on aspirin indefinitely.

hope this information helps

Hi Karen,

I was coiled in 2006 and no, I was put on no blood thinning agents what so ever...just BP meds and thats it. Peace, Janet

Hi Karenen! no Plavix for me maybe cause I was on Coumadin? We are all different yet all the same in many ways~~

Interesting! Sounds like different doctors do this different ways! Thanks for the input.

Hi Karen,I had coiling and shunt, and never needed to take Plavix, nor aspirin. Sandra

My neuro said that I had to be 6 month on Blood thinners (Effient)

I had a coil and a pipeline proceedure in Oct 2015

I ruptured Nov 2013 and was coiled, another aneurysm found in June 2014 and was coiled. She took me off the aspirin I was on for my heart and other than the heparin shots in ICU, I take no anticoagulants or blood thinners.