Procedure next week i am scared

Hello,
So i am having my 7 mm aneurysm coiled and a stent put in because of wide neck for my ophthalmic aneurysm next week. I could really use some good stories and experiences. I am 24 years old and my mental health right now is crazy. I am so sad and scared all the time. I have to take plavix and aspirin.
Thanks

2 Likes

Iā€™m having a stent(s) put in on the 18th! The FDA just approved the type that will work in my brain last year and the hospital that Iā€™m having it done at has already done 100, more than any other facility here in the US. So I canā€™t help with the stents until after, but you will already be a pro! Coiling isnā€™t that bad, it wonā€™t feel any different than your angiogram you had. It may take a bit longer and you may feel a bit out of sorts for a bit longer, but maybe not. Everyone is different. Remember to be well hydrated the days prior to your procedure, it really does help.

Iā€™m wishing you all the best and wishing mine was next week as well. Donā€™t forget to come back after your procedure and let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Moltroub

3 Likes

same to you Moltroubā€¦best wishes for happy outcomes

2 Likes

tea1204,

Being well hydrated up front is always a good idea, like Moltroub said. Also, be sure you have someone with you who will make sure you are eating good meals with lots of protein for healing your brain tissues.

Plavix and aspirin are total bummers. Hopefully they will take you off of the Plavix soon.

Best wishes for happy outcomes!

3 Likes

Hey guys,
Thanks for your replies, i am just so scared because i donā€™t know if i made good decision about taking the procedure or i should just say no and watch and wait. They decided for procedure but said that it is my decision. And now i donā€™t know. I am 4 days before procedure and having so muuuch second thoughts. They said it was 2% per year chance of rupture and the procedure is 5%. God i am so scared really my mentah health right now is so bad.:cry:
I will pray for you too Moltroub.:pray:t2:

3 Likes

Thanks so much @tea1204 and @Mary2014! I think my math is wrong, my procedure is on the 18th of this monthā€¦

@tea1204, I certainly understand your fears, especially with the pandemic hovering over us. Second thoughts are normal, weā€™ve had a day or two of them as well. But this is how and why I decided to go ahead with mine: WFBH, the hospital where I will have my procedure is doing all they can to control the spread. I am to be tested for COVID-19 on the 11th. We will have to quarantine ourselves until my procedure, except for the day we have to drive to Winston and get my lab work done. I ruptured back in November of 2013 and was a guest at WFBH Neuro ICU for 26 days. According to the ISUAT, I should not have ruptured as my aneurysm is only 5mm. The caveat is that it is a rare multi-lobed and in a difficult area to fix. But Dr. Wolfe was able to get me fixed up best she could. Unfortunately, the PCP I had at the time, had no idea of what to do with me except to suggest I get a Neurosurgeon in our county. We donā€™t have one. The one who did my back surgery went to the county next to us. I had to rely on Dr. Quintero-Wolfe to write the prescriptions for everything I needed, speech therapy, PT, etc. she didnā€™t mind but itā€™s really not her job, I found a new PCP that is right on the ball all the time with me.

So with that experience behind us, we had to weigh the consequences of another rupture. Iā€™ve had two subsequent coilings because the coils keep compacting. I believe they are getting pushed into the 24+ daughter sacs. I donā€™t listen well, and am a bit too active for my aneurysm. Though if you saw me, youā€™d think I was a short, heavy weight couch potato. When I told Dr. Quintero-Wolfe I needed to move cinder block and timber, she asked if I had had a garden this year. I said I did and had to turn the soil manually this year. The decision was made right then. The risk of another rupture is pretty high. The neck of my aneurysm has opened significantly.

I have to be tested off or COVID-19 on the 11th and then quarantine until the 18th when I have the stents put in. Dr. Quintero-Wolfe discussed a flow diverter but the location of my aneurysm will prevent her from doing anything else, and she likes options. I think she said that if the stent doesnā€™t work, she may have to put two in. If those donā€™t work they way she expects, she needs the option of a craniotomy.

If I knew I had an aneurysm before I ruptured, I believe I would have it fixed ASAP, I donā€™t really know. I knew nothing about aneurysms when I ruptured so as they say ā€œhindsight is always 20/20ā€

Not sure if reading my personal experience is helpful to you. Know that we are always here for you! I wish you all the best in your decision.

Sincerely,
Moltroub

4 Likes

Hello so I think you made a great decision getting it treated before rupture. At 24 youā€™ll bounce back quick and with technology being so advanced the procedure is very safe. Youā€™re lucky it was detected early than waiting for it to rupture, an aneurysm is a ticking time bomb and you certainly were smart to get it taken care of sooner rather than later. Donā€™t give up or feel like you made the wrong choice, you got this!

3 Likes

Hi Tea1204
I remember that scared, unsure feeling so well!
A week before my aneurysm clipping, I said to my husband ā€œIā€™m really scared!ā€
He took my hand and said ā€œYou donā€™t have to go through with this! We can call right now and cancelā€. I had consulted with 2 Neurosurgeons. Both said the same thing - I should at some stage have it operated on, and recovery is easier when youā€™re younger. Both said that risk assessment was the hardest part of their job and really they donā€™t know how thin the blood vessel wall is until theyā€™re looking at it. Neither seemed in a hurry to operate. My first consultation was in August 2019 and there were many delays until my operation in September 2020. It was classed as ā€œelectiveā€ surgery. Iā€™m a fit looking, slim, never smoked, low blood pressure sort of person. I look and act like Iā€™m in good health.
All this is why my husband suggested I just cancel this thing I was scared of. It just didnā€™t seem that urgent. Neither surgeon was in a rush, just a suggestion that Iā€™d recover quicker if I was younger rather than waiting.
Soā€¦what did I do?
I went ahead with the clipping of the two aneurysms (a craniotomy). Unfortunately Coiling and a stent werenā€™t an option given the odd shape of one of the aneurysms.
And you know what? Swallowing my fear and doing it was the best, life saving decision.
The surgeon said the weird shaped aneurysm had blood swirling just beneath the surface and when he gently moved it to place a clip, it ruptured. Luckily, he was right on the spot to clamp it until the bleeding stopped before continuing with the procedure. No damage done!! Iā€™m one lucky person!
Imagine if it had burst while I was out on one of my long walks? Where would I be now? I shudder to think.
My motto now is ā€œbe afraid but still do what you know you NEED to do!ā€
I had also found that as time went on I had started living a lesser life. Always in the back of my mind were thoughts like ā€œI canā€™t lift that heavy box, climb that hill, watch a scary movie or do a plank at Pilates because I have aneurysmsā€. I didnā€™t want that to be my life. Iā€™m a cautious person and a worrier. Over time I think I would have started limiting my activities more and more. Maybe other people donā€™t think like that but I know myself, so when my husband suggested cancelling, I knew that might have sounded like the easy way out but eventually it would affect my life in other ways.
Given the aneurysm ruptured during the operation (no one predicted that!), I made the right decision to go ahead.
Best thoughts and wishes to you, whatever you decide to do. Please let us know your progress.
Nat

3 Likes

I am almost 6 years recovered now from two coiled aneurysm, one which ruptured. I must tell you and anyone I know that Lions Mane mushrooms were instrumental in my recovery. Please research the medicinal benefits of this amazing mushroom. Itā€™s natural and you have nothing to lose. It really was an incredible impact. Happy to chat whenever you need. Prayers, youā€™re going to be fine sweetheart hugs Lisa

1 Like

Hi Tea,

I have had a pipeline stent since January of 2019. I did the Plavix and aspirin. I had a 7mm also, left Ica. Almost two years and doing great. The Annie is gone! The vessel is healed. The radiation messed up my thyroid a bit but itā€™s heading back to normal now. Iā€™ve been hiking and living my life. Best decision I ever have made.

2 Likes

Your motto ā€œbe afraid but still do what you know you NEED to doā€ is a very succinct description of courage, I love it!

Thanks so much for sharing!
Moltroub

3 Likes

I wish you all the best!!! Sending love!!! Everything is gonna be ok!

3 Likes

Hey guys,

My procedure is in 20 hours, i am already in the hospital so they could check how my blood is reacting to plavix. I am crazy affraidā€¦ i canā€™t even believe i am here going through thisā€¦ it is like a movie to mešŸ˜­. Once he will be inside my head he will see what will he use: coils and regular stent or (most likely) coils and flow diverter. Iā€™ll have to be here for a few days if everything goes alright.

Please pray for me i hope everything goes alright.
Greetings,
Tea

3 Likes

Hi Tea,
Many prayers are going out for you. Iā€™ve been where you are and completely understand the fear, but I turned my fear in strength knowing that God has given the medical profession the knowledge to save many lives, one of which was mine. You will be fine.

2 Likes

Definitely praying for you. It is crazy scary but have faith, you will be ok!

1 Like

It sounds like you are writing my story, I too had a 7mm open neck, and had to wait about a week and half to have them go in and put a stent and coil in. Was also on plavix and aspirin.
Doing good had 4 angiograms to check, and all good.

1 Like

Know that without the procedure that things will definitely not get betterā€¦Our Lord will guide the hands of the surgeons to help you outā€¦I will be praying for you, keep the FAITHā€¦I had my brain aneurysm surgery in June of 2005 and despite all the odds, I am still here by the graciousness of our Lordā€¦Again, lots of prayers for youā€¦

1 Like

Oh, Tea,

We will be praying for you! The fear and healing may come hand in hand but your faith will grow day by day. Vent all your worries here, believe us that we understand all your worries! Take care!

1 Like

Hi tea, I had this procedure done August 2013 for the same size aneurysm. It went well and I am doing fine now. Just had a scan and all is good. I am glad I went through with it. Best to you.

2 Likes

Hi Tea,
Sending prayers your way. I too had a 7 mm, and had it coiled 3.5 years ago. Everything went fine, and Iā€™m so glad I had the thing taken care of and you will be too ! Ive just had a couple maintenance check ups to check on compaction. All clear.I was only on the Plavix for a month, and it went by fast.

I hope you smile when you check in after your procedure seeing all of the responses.

Take care and Be well!

2 Likes