Post coiling follow-up

I had my aneurysm 6 yrs ago - 6 months post coiling had the angiogram and then annual MRI for two years and now every 5 yrs MRI that is pretty much all the followup that is being done

Hi IrisD,
I am in the Uk & had my unruptured aneurysm coiled in May 2013. I had a follow up MRA ( no contrast) at 6 months Nov 2013. I was not due another MRA for another year, but due to having visual disturbances they decided to do another MRA in May of this year. I was told another MRA in a years time as all looked good. When I had a second opinion & scan in London, I asked why a dye wasn’t used & was told it wasn’t required but I would need an angiogram in the future at some point. It seems everywhere decides different. I would like another CT angio but the radiation worries me,having already had 1 brain & 1 heart CT angio previously,plus 3 brain CT at A&E.

Eve x

I had an aneurysm rupture and had a cerebral angio at 6 months after my coiling along with a level 3 MRA. Thereafter I have the MRA yearly to look for changes in my coiling. The explanation I was given was that both tests together give the most accurate picture. The MRA is not as clear as the angio. So if in the future the MRA comes back looking significantly different it is time to look closer again as in doing another angio. Also, while an angio to most of us is a scarey intrusive test, to the medical profession it is another day on the job. It is a procedure done to heart patients and many others daily. I always remind myself that it is much less invasive than a clip. ;)

Dear Eve,

My reason for asking about the angio is also related to the radiation. My husband has had about 4 times the number of CTs. He also has a condition that requires regular monitoring from now on. :(

Hi Iris,

Since your husband had a rupture with subsequent coiling, keep in mind that an aneurysm that is coiled after a rupture is the most likely aneursym to need re-addressing down the line (IE: compaction rates are much higher) -- I was told that roughly 1 in 4 will coiled aneurysms will eventually compact over time, and that time span afterward can be pretty lengthy (I went 3 years til mine compacted)

Keep up a plan for aftercare/follow up imaging of some sort..a CT or MRA should be do-able in your husbands case in order to check out the coiling I'd think, but your doc can tell you for sure..

Best of luck! Janet

My wife's rupture was a 6mm. It was compacted somewhat after 6 months. At that time they added additional coil and a stent. At 18 months in 2013 everything was fine. We'll see what has happened by 2015 at her checkup 2 years later. Each time so far has required an angiogram.

When they needed permission to do a procedure when she was comatose, it was easy to say "Yes" regardless of the risks. Now when they ask permission and recite the possible risks, it is more difficult. But I discovered that we trusted the doctor and the Lord then, we also do so now.

Hi Becky,

I most definately had symptoms when my coils compacted, (namely a re-bleed into my brain)~

ouch! Glad we're all here to talk about it though! Take care,

Janet

Hi Janet,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that there was a higher risk if there had been a rupture. I suppose it doesn't make any difference that the rupture occurred during the coiling, not before.

Good luck, Wendy. I will keep you in my thoughts!

Hi Iris,

I had celebral coiling done 4/7/13. Followed it up with an MRA, 6 months later October 2013. Then in April this year 2014, I had an angiogram. It looked good that my neuro doctor said next year anniversary will just be an MRA.

I had a pretty serious rupture/bleed April 2013. I have since had follow up mra and angiogram at 6 mos a repeat mra and angio at one year and will be having at least another mra in oct (that will be a year and a half post-rupture) due to coil compaction. I may have to undergo another angio depending on results. I would rather be cautious than ever have another rupture even if I don’t particularly like having the angiogram. MY Neurosurgeon usually does a 6 month angio then a 1 year then it’s moved to yearly. At some point it will be only an mra if the aneurysm/coils remain stable.

I had a cerebral angio 4 months after coiling. All was well with the coiling but I had pain in my groin for MONTHS afterward. Ultrasound to check on whether or not there was a blockage was clean and doctors said they did not know why so much pain. Now, 2 years after angio, I still feel an occasional pain buy nothing too bad. Because of this experience, after much agonizing and getting a second opinion, I opted for a MRA with contrast (doctors said the contrast was crucial even though the radiologist said it wasn't necessary). The neurosurgeon had told me that the angio is the "gold standard", but the MRA with contrast was second best. I am not sorry I had the MRA, and they said all looked good. It is a tough decision, and I wish you and your husband well in making it.

I just had my coil no stent done 6 days ago feeling ok, but the first couple of days i thought that i was ever going to be the same again. i have 2 the one that was treated was 4mm i still have the other one 3mm. i have a doctors appt later on need to ask when is the next follow up,

why a angiogram? why not a MRI?

so, did you have a stent?

just from what I was told - the angiogram gives the best picture. My CT after coiling was normal but angiogram showed different result and stenting was done 3 months after coiling. Apparently sometimes the coils slip up or down and they have to stent it. (I’m sorry I can’t give you medical terms - I had the ARNP/PA explain it to me prior to stenting and she showed me a picture on her phone). The only thing is I’m on plavix and a high dose of aspirin until I have the next angiogram. I have been told that if my next angiogram is normal, I can have MRI next year. If any of that helps you?

that was so, nice that you responsed

some of these posts are years old. some of the people who posted in 2014 aren’t around anymore. :frowning_face:

how big was your and was your unrupted?

I had them bilaterally. One had erupted hence the subarachnoid hemorrhage in January. I don’t remember the original measurements. Before they did the stenting in April, the residual was 3.7 x 2 only on one side. I’m hoping for clear angiogram next time. :pray: