Post Clipping Surgery

Has anyone in the BAF community experienced or heard of anyone getting impaired vision as a surgery injury? The reason for question is that this is what happen to me in 2011 when I underwent a clipping for an un ruptured 2.0 mm aneurysm known as a wide mouth. I was given a 99.9% success rate! but did not expect my life to be turned upside down. The surgeon said I was a medical mystery and they had never heard of this happening before. I have no vision in right eye and no field vision in left eye. I spoke with other medical experts and they also have not heard of this happening. I’ve had huge adjustments to make and felt that there were no one to link up with who had similar medical experiences until finding out about BAF. I still have questions like why can’t I bend over holding head down without feeling pressure, aerobic and dance exercises are no longer possible. I tried them and became very fatigue for two days afterwards. I don’t know what the restrictions or limitations are as a surviving aneurysm patient. I am learning by trial and error.

Hi ... This situation is very concerning...Do you have a neurologist? If not ... you may look into finding one...also, have you gotten a 2nd opinion about what has happened and continues to happen with your vision? Please keep us posted...~ Colleen

Hi Barbara,

Do you know the location of the clipping (example: anterior communicating artery ACOM) and if it was close to the optic nerve? At the ACOM location, the optic nerve is nearby and could easily be injuried by the surgery or the clip. Just a thought to help you solve this problem.

Ed

Yes it was located at the ACOM. Since the. Aneurysm was a wide neck although small in size, two clips was placed, a mini one and a larger one. 8 Hours after surgery when it was discovered of the vision loss I underwent a second surgery to redo the clipping. This time the surgeon removed the larger clip and reposition the mini clip. But it was too late the damaged was done.
Ultimately, the one clip was sufficient instead of two.
I wished they would have known this from the beginning.

Yes I finally was able to find a Neurologist last year who would accept me as a patient. Previous search was unsuccessful due to existing injury and fear of liability. I didn’t trust the medical professionals at the hospital where I had surgery, so I did not want to seek care. I was devastated after surgery especially with being told there was not a medical reason for the injury. My career as a Construction Project Engineer and Response Workers for natural disasters for the Federal Government all over now. I will continue to search for resolution and hope.

Hi Barbara,

My 1st aneurysm was located behind the left eye and was pressing against my optic nerve..and as the aneurysm expanded, it literally split my optic nerve in two...this left me with severe double vision, and with no explanations on weather or not this would ever go away (if ever) or what. To my surprise, I regained my vision back to 'normal' in about 4 to 5 months time...I would think that a Neuro-omphamoligist is what you should seek out for this....Quite honestly, it sounds to me that your surgery didn't go quite as well as your Neurosurgeon said ...and I'm sure he/she is well aware of this fact. Like Cheryl noted, a 2 MM annie is usually something that is in the 'watch and wait' category when it comes to these things. Peace to you as you get thru this, janet

God Bless Barbara ... I hope and pray you can get some resolution...~ Colleen

Hi Barbara,

I second what Janet suggested, pleas seek out a neuro opthomologist. I too had vision issues related to my clipping, but mine was near the opthomic nerve. I have double vision and at times to gets worse and fuzzy depending on some unknown factor.

I saw dr. Joyce Liao at Stanford University and highly recommend her.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Laura

Thanks for your input. Communicating with BAFSC helps me know that I am not alone in my experiences. Believe it or not, there is only one highly recommended nuero opthomologist in Seattle and I was examined by this person right after the surgery and they too did not have an explanation of the loss of vision. If I thought my health insurance would cover me seeking out of state medical care, I would consider.

Thank you Laura.

Barbara...welcome...so sorry I am so slow...I get side tracked readily...wow, I never get surprised...

I can share a lot...keeping it brief...

Suggest you track your artery and its segment...and, the access area to it...then search for the cranial nerves anatomy...see which ones track w/the artery of the aneurysm and the access area to it..

When searching for cranial arteries and cranial nerves research them again by adding anatomy...

Thus you can/may be able to ask your docs specifics by the anatomy you find...and, of coruse, they can realign that if you are so far off... ...

Many of us have had vision and hearing damage...regardless of which procedure was selected...

I found learning our eye/vision connection is highly difficult because of their interactions/connections...

Can share much more ...What I cherished, still cherish....was my vision therapy...so recommend...and, I have no expertise...just my own experience(s)...I have continued my annual f/up eye testing w/that optometry clinic...I so cherish...

More later...I have a "mentally" heavy day...have been working on images...more later...

Again...welcome...

Pat