Plagued by past memories

Hi. This is Kim and my husband, Dan, had an aneurysm rupture last year. I’m writing for him, with his OK because his computer isn’t working and he’s struggling. Right now his main struggle is that he has memories from 20 years ago (traumas that he put away…things that I don’t even know about) that repeatedly replay in depth every time he closes his eyes to rest. Everything is crystal clear, down to verbatim conversations. He doesn’t want to talk to me nor is he receptive to counseling. Neither of us is sure of what to do other than my suggestion to share it here just in case anyone can relate and connect with him in a way that I cannot. It hurts my heart to see him struggling yet there’s nothing I can do except hold him and tell him how much I love him and that I’m not going anywhere. He repeatedly says that he wishes his whole brain lost all of his memories. Today he told me to let him know when I get tired of him and want him to leave. I try to repeatedly reassure him that I’m here to stay.

I’m not sure if I’m posting this in the right place. I have no doubt that the Moderators will do a great job with that.

Thank you in advance!
Best,
Kim

Hey Kim,
You’ve posted it in exactly the right place, so don’t be too worried about that.

The side effects of a rupture can be many and varied. Prior to my own brain issues I was a teacher. A teacher of people with disabilities and stroke patients were often my clients. How a bleed affects one person compared to another can be miles apart. Each bleed is very individual in location, size and recovery. One man had a stroke in his late teens. He was very nice and very respectful, but he had issues with word recall. He would get so frustrated he would punch himself, full force, in the face, trying to get the words out. I would have to calm him down.

One day I had him in the car with the radio on and he’s singing along with the music verbatim. No stutter, no word loss, nothing and with a clarity that was otherwise missing. So, we made a plan, ‘when the words get stuck, sing them to me’ and he did. I could see when the words were becoming an issue, then remind him and he was much more mellow/calmer singing, rather than fighting to move past it. Music can take us outside of our mindset, transport us to another time, another place and is often used in therapy for that very reason. You may find having something to alter your husband’s mindset assists. As I say for some music can do this, for others foods or tastes or smells can take us elsewhere. It’s finding what may work specifically for your husband.

Now, I must admit I was very reluctant when it came to counselling, post-surgery, but I was driving others around me bonkers. My view was ‘I man, I strong’, I can deal with it all on my own. Only I couldn’t, if I’m honest it was a bit of a punch to my ego, but I had to get ‘IT’ out of me, I just didn’t have anywhere to put ‘IT’. I was rolling the same incessant thoughts over and over and ov… When the only input is from within you, often you keep rolling up with the same problem, having the same answers and getting nowhere. For me, I needed external input. Input from outside of my circle ie Family/Friends. Professional input, my only wish was that I’d done so earlier. It assisted in dealing with where my mindset was at (It was a very dark hole I’d buried myself in). I wouldn’t say counselling ‘cured’ me, but it helped me put strategies in place to be able to shift that mindset to one side and move forward. That mindset is still there and occasionally, it still pops up, but I know I have the skills to move forward.

You are being a HUGE support for your husband and you need to be congratulated for that. I cannot tell you how much support my wife has given me. I might not say it and sometimes my ‘fuse’ is very short, BUT OMG, I honestly think I’d be dead if it wasn’t for her. How she puts up with me I will never know. We know, that support role can be a MASSIVE weight, so remember to look after you too.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

2 Likes

In reference to past memories that your husband is having. Sometimes I am plagued with memories and regrets from my past. I thought it was just part of the aging process, and my lack of accomplishments. Being older and having health issues and not being able to fix the past. Regrets of the choices I made in my past. Maybe it’s from having a Aneurysm fortunately it was an incidental finding an there wasn’t a rupture. Of course there’s always that concern. Every year another Angiogram that’s supposed to be non invasive. There’s always the recovery process afterwards. I have a upcoming appointment for therapy this week. I really hope it helps me, really wanted to find a Neuro Counselor. I absolutely believe that there should be more follow up for Aneurysm patients. Rehabilitation, groups therapy and Neuro Counseling. This site is excellent and extremely helpful. Take care of yourself so sad to hear your husband is having difficult flashbacks. Hopefully you’ll find a way together to get past this. Never give up

1 Like

Thank you for being so open, honest and transparent. I love the example of the teen you helped find his voice through something he found relatable. I continue to find these nuggets in Dan’s few loves, music being huge. He has been listening to his iPod on occasion. He also loves sports and has his sports radio on almost 24/7, which sometimes quiets the interference and static that block his amazing, creative and still insanely intelligent (meant wholeheartedly positive) mind. He is as intelligent as before the day we met, as we met online on Yahoo Personals (now Match) yet he no longer sees himself as that person. Yes, I agree he is different, but I still see my amazing partner. He sees a shell of a man, who felt incomplete when we met but I had yet to learn how inadequate he felt then. He was so often the strong one, the practical one, the intellectual one. I learned how to balance my heart-head thought process, how to problem solve more, how to do so many things from him. I feel that I taught him that it’s Ok to express emotions, cry and feel. Now, more than ever, I feel it’s my mission to at least attempt to build him up…most importantly, not going overboard but in a fashion that he will listen and hear me. Whether or not he chooses to incorporate it into his daily thoughts or mindset is up to him. I have no control over that. He has much guilt from my being alone for so many months last year due to multiple hospitalizations, rehab and the trauma resulting from his verbal and emotionally abusive outbursts. Though he does not regard them as “abuse” (we are of differing mindsets there…different life experiences), he listens to me as I’ve chosen to alter my language to keep our communication open. I will not condone nor do I lessen the impact. However, I hear my therapist in my ear saying “choose your battles” which I find myself doing multiple times a day. It’s new as I’m used to being my sarcastic, witty, dark humor self, unfiltered and accepted to having to carefully choose my words and communication styling so as not to set him off. We have done 2 couples counseling sessions where communicating with him was the focus. He was receptive both times however he has not kept his end. I now know the trauma he has shared with me and the sadness he is experiencing for his own losses. We both are grieving and recovering from trauma, from the same situations but with completely different experiences. I will never be able to understand the magnitude of his loss and trauma nor he mine. I have suggested grief and PTSD counseling and thankfully, he is receptive. Other than finishing touches on our Birthday outing (his is Friday and we are going to a show and I got us backstage), attempting to get a counseling date is my goal for this coming week.

Thank you again!
Best!
Happy Easter for those who celebrate
Kim

2 Likes

Kim,
Sorry your husband is struggling and the worry it creates. My experience, after an aneurysm burst, was recall of many traumatic memories. Few of my friends knew as they were private and so early in my life.

The memories returned and felt like an overflowing river, they confused, took my attention and caused anxiety. There was no clear answer from professionals about the stir up of memories. From my own long ago studies it makes sense that with loss of memory and loss of control from an illness that memories might be triggered, e.g. PTSD.

It’s been ten years for me since my hospitalization and I’ve observed that stress and illness encourages the return of the most stressful memories. And having healthy daily routines, planning variety in the day with socialization, good professional support, and physical, relaxation exercises all do help.

I hope your knowing that another has had memories triggered might bring comfort when you see that it comes and goes but it also improves with time, healthy daily routines and practices.

Best wishes and blessings to you both!

3 Likes

Just want to say that I am grateful for this post because it hits a nail on the head for me: “incessant thoughts,” and “past memories.”
I just completed a post here: 17 mm Aneurysm in Anterior Inferior Cerebellar Artery (AICA) Treated Endovascularly by Flow Diverter 10/13/22 (scroll to the bottom).
I discuss there that maybe, hopefully some of my incessant thoughts might be due to anxiety caused by blood thinners.
Not sure, but hoping.
My symptoms are mild compared to some things described here. But they are definitely real.
My aneurysm did not rupture.

1 Like

I’m sitting here having a guilty little chuckle…‘Ooopps, that sounds like me…’
For a while my usual tolerance/acceptance/patience vanished. And if someone touched the wrong nerve my reaction could be scathing nasty, tear a carcass to shreds just with my tongue, often over the smallest things. And if someone had a problem with it my attitude was ‘Well, that’s their problem, not mine…’. For me it wasn’t that I was purposely offensive, but what first came to mind, often came out without a filter. Normally I’d ‘try’ to be respectful. Choosing my words carefully. I didn’t have time for that, if I stopped to think about it…POOF…and the thought vanished. So, I’d say it (often with expletives), offend somebody, then try to take the words back. TOO LATE. If you didn’t get my point of view ( I was very direct, there was no innuendo), then you got told that TOO!!

My memory, which used to be one of my better assets vanished and I found that frustrating, beyond frustrating. I kept doubting myself, doubting my thoughts, which frustrated me and angered me. I was annoyed with myself but I focused it outwards, at everybody else.

Now, I must say I have mellowed since then (I think I have anyway :wink: ), but it did take time. My wife has had a few of those ‘heart to heart’ chats with me because in all honesty, I didn’t see it. I’ve sometimes said “…‘My cup, it overfloweth…’ over everyone…” My cup is full of my stresses, I’m dealing with pain, I’m dealing a different world, I’m trying to deal with Me etc etc so my cup is near full to begin with and that one little thing pushes me beyond my limit and BOOM. The next person to add to my cup is going to get drowned. It took me years to see my signs of either me becoming intolerable or my tolerances of others reaching my limits.

It sounds like he’s talking, at least to you, about it all and that’s a good step. I understand you would it all to happen quicker, but I have to say this recovery thing is a slowly, slowly process and so is the acceptance of it all. I’m now almost 10yrs on from my last neurosurgery and I’m still on a seesaw of good days and bad days. Days when I have such clarity, it’s amazing and days when I’m battling to even crawl out of bed. I have learnt I have to adjust for how I am today.

You’re doing OK, actually I’d say you’re doing better than just ‘OK’.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

I suggest talking to a doctor about getting something to help him sleep. If he is not getting any rest that will not help anything.

2 Likes

Kim,

I saw your post and I was instantly taken back in time, to a time when I went back in time before. I hesitated to share my thoughts, but after reading all of the posts and experiences I feel okay to share mine. I had no anger after my aneurysm burst. I wasn’t thankful, I wasn’t angry, I wasn’t afraid, I just was. That is training from my family – life is full of struggles and rewards, both to endure and appreciate. And though I was unconscious and not aware for 10 days, somehow when I regained consciousness, I was not surprised. I was accepting. I was single and without a home so I moved in with my Mum. Again, somehow not a surprise or unusual. But what was unusual is that I was a college graduate of two English based degrees and I could not read, could not spell, and could not remember. The others share their fear and anger of having long lost memories. For me, there was no anger. I felt I was reliving my life. My memory/my brain was reliving all it could to rebuild me – to reboot my memory, perhaps. While it was mostly reliving the traumas, it made sense because those are what stay in our memories, not the mundane. I found that I could not remember a person or their name until I has relived the part of my personal story in which they were introduced or a part. Does that make sense? So the man I was engaged to, I could not recall his name until I had gotten to the part of my life in which he was involved.

Most of it, through the sad, scary, or exciting memories, did not bring me anger. What I did find, though, was that sometimes I had times where I was experiencing yelling, confusion, or chaos in my head and my thoughts. I found too many memories, voices, fears, images, or – perhaps – spirits crashing into me at the same time. I found that exceptionally difficult. It truly scared me and I thought I was going crazy. I don’t want to go into religion as we all have our own beliefs, but I would like to share with you that my experience made me a believer of spirits. I felt I was hearing voices talking/yelling/laughing/crying, all at the same time, and it made my head explode with confusion. I didn’t know how to deal with it until, one day, while alone in my mother’s apartment, I dropped to my knees. I cried for the first time in years, and I spoke to them. I begged for the confusion to stop, I begged for the silent yelling in my head to stop. I promised I would listen, but that I could not listen to confusion. Perhaps it is true, perhaps there are spirits; perhaps there are none and my brain just needed a conscious kick to get back in line; but after a few sessions of solitude, silence, “spirit chats”, and purposeful thought control, I began managing what I think, when I think it, and how I process it.

Now, 25 years later, I am finally at the age I was when it happened. Though I still occasionally have unexpected flashbacks of something when I was young, that is not what I deal with now. Now, I admit, I am very late at coming to the anger party that some of you shared. Now I am at the stage when I am past appreciation for surviving and am finally admitting to myself that I am angry. Angry that I still don’t remember everything from my childhood or even last week. Angry that I still have partial blindness. And angry that everyone thinks I am “normal” and they don’t understand that I am still having to relearn, redo, and that I keep forget things. The people in my life now never knew pre-Annie-Krys. That girl isn’t around. Most of the time I am okay with myself and how I have adapted personally and professionally, but every once in a while I knock over something I didn’t see, or see a word I haven’t relearned, and my internal temper bursts out. Those temper bursts are what I am having to control because it scares my dogs and my adult children, who have never seen this from me before.

Long tale to say – I am proud of you for being aware and addressing your feelings now. As to the crash of memories and trauma-reliving hitting you, I can only recommend you listen to your own story. Face it, force it to be on your terms, but don’t ignore it. Those memories–good and bad–want to be relived so they are given validity; but I wish you the strength and tools that the validity can be done on your terms.

3 Likes

Hi Kim and Dan. My name is Brian. I had my rupture almost five years ago. During the course of my three week ICU visit my status went from not sure I’d make it through the night, to hospitalized for months, to needing rehab hospitalization for months, finally discharging home for in house PT/OT/ST then outpatient therapies. During the course of all this I cried at the drop of a hat. Absolutely no control of my emotions. I wondered why I survived. Why I recovered. I think you spend a lot of time thinking about why -is it deserved which causes you to think about your contribution to society and your life in general.

I was a year out before I started phsycotherapy. Sometimes you need to process then seek assistance. Until you get to that place Dan I would suggest some mind calming meditation. I use the app Calm. It works for me. If I can be of any help. I’m here.

5 Likes

Kim,
I had brain aneurysm surgery /with clip back in 12-27-97. Long story short I kind of had the same thing as your husband is going through. I couldn’t remember my wife’s name or my kids. But I could remember things from the past 20 years ago at that time.
But it has been a long time since 12-27-97 and allot of my memory has come back. I’d say 95% has. I still have trouble with names on and off. But it’s ok because I’m still here. My wife stuck with me and helped me and still does help me when I’m having a bad day.
Hang in here and all will work out,

Pat

3 Likes