Pipeline over previous stent?

Hi, my neurosurgeon has recommended the use of pipeline to fix my aneurysm which is recurrent and residual. I was treated with coils and stent during 2005. The doctor said it would be dangerous to clip the Annie now with the previous stent across its neck so that the best option for me now is pipeline. Everything sounded really good and I am now just waiting for surgery date but I was reading a bit last night and found an article ( http://www.news-medical.net/news/20110407/New-Pipeline-Embolization-Device-receives-FDA-approval-for-treatment-of-brain-aneurysms.aspx?page=2 ) which said that pipeline should not be used to treat an aneurysm with a stent previously placed across its neck.

This really scares me… I can’t find any other sources that explain or talk about this… does anyone know from experiencie or have an idea from talking to doctors or other survivors about this matter? I know I should trust my doctors more than just a magazine… But it concerns me a I and have no chance to speak to him before surgery

Thanks, Naya

I got into “the source” of that article, The FDA website and they do not mention that part… It only says the following;

When should it not be used? The PED should NOT be used in patients with an active infection, in patients for whom the use of antiplatelet blood thinners, such as aspirin and clopidogrel is contraindicated, or in patients who have not received adequate antiplatelet therapy prior to the procedure to place the PED.

I guess I don’t have to believe everything I read ah?

Hi Naya...look at "Groups" above...and go to the "Pipeline group"...and share your story...and question...they would be better equipped to answer your question...

What boggles my mind...is I was coiled in 2010...and told this is the greatest and newest thing .. and now 18 months later I have residual??? Hmm???

Hi Naya, you can find more info :

• Pipeline embolization device group ;

• Fda website / medical device.

take care,
giovanni

Updating:

After looking for different opinions regarding the use of pipeline in previously stented Annies, we concluded that the FDA recommendation is not a safety issue…it is more a “less chances to work” issue. However, I didn’t have any other options to treat my aneurysm so we went ahead and now I am 2 weeks post procedure, feeling good and hoping it will work. We need to wait 3 months to have an angiogram and check if the pipeline is working properly. Until then, fingers crossed :wink: