Pipeline embolisation after clipping

Hello to all you survivors.I had a SAH that was coiled in 2007. Ihave had an annual MRI and consult with my Neurosurgeon for a residual ICA?? Now my Neuro wants me to see a Neuroradiologist for a pipeline embolization device to be fitted.My question is has anyone else had this procedure performed AFTER coiling as I was led to believe that it was only done if the aneurysm neck was too big for coiling?I would love to hear from others who have had the procedure done.Cheers Deborah

Sorry guys just read my discussion and it should read Pipline embolization after COILING not CLIPPING,sorry my mistake. Cheers. Deborah.Have a Happy Halloween.Are there any other AUSSIES out there I would love to hear from you.

Hell Deborah,

I had both done at the same time, the coiling and the Pipeline. You are right, if the neck of the aneurysm is too large sometimes a PED is needed. My coil would have not stayed in place with out the PED

Deborah, afaik the ped can be used alone to block off blood flow to the aneurysm, and other types of stents are often used alongside coiling as well. So it sounds as though your aneurysm may not necessarily be wide necked (which is when the stent and coiling are done at the same time) but the neuro may not be happy about how the coiling looks and wants to utilise the ped as a secondary treatment, so it isn't technically a stent assisted coiling to hold the coils in, it may be he has read good outcomes with the ped and if your coiling no longer looks good he might be opting for the ped to shut off the artery from the aneurysm. The PED is relatively new so perhaps some docs have started using it instead of recoiling? This is all conjecture though so the best person to ask is the neuro or the neuroradiologist, but in that context, your situation would make sense to me.

sharong said:

Deborah, afaik the ped can be used alone to block off blood flow to the aneurysm, and other types of stents are often used alongside coiling as well. So it sounds as though your aneurysm may not necessarily be wide necked (which is when the stent and coiling are done at the same time) but the neuro may not be happy about how the coiling looks and wants to utilise the ped as a secondary treatment, so it isn't technically a stent assisted coiling to hold the coils in, it may be he has read good outcomes with the ped and if your coiling no longer looks good he might be opting for the ped to shut off the artery from the aneurysm. The PED is relatively new so perhaps some docs have started using it instead of recoiling? This is all conjecture though so the best person to ask is the neuro or the neuroradiologist, but in that context, your situation would make sense to me.

DEBORAH HYDE said:

sharong said:

Hi Sharong, thanks for your advice, I will talk to my neuroradiologist(of course) just wanted some feed back from others who had the procedure.I already answered to your comment but I don't think I am doing it properly!! as my reply is not showing.Anyway thanks again Deborah

Deborah, when you answer just go to the “Reply to Discussion” box that way it keeps reading for anyone that comes along at any time and your responses will show.

I had to wait 18 months for the neck of my aneurysm to close after rupture. There was a six month omg moment when my Neuro surgeon thought they’d have to crack my skull open but it ended up just being another aneurysm behind the first that was coiled.