I am a brain aneurysm survivor, as of 8/24/09, when I experienced the most excruciating headache. I thought I pulled a muscle in my neck so I took a couple of aspirin to wait it out. Since nothing happened to ease the pain, and it seemed to intensify, I decided I was in some sort of real trouble, and called 911. Transported to the nearest hospital, I was given a CTA, and immediately sent off to the trauma center. I awoke the next day with a bevy of white coats standing at the foot of my bed, waiting (I think) to see if I would wake up, whether I would speak, know who I was, etc., and a tube coming from the top of my head draining blood. 12 days in ICU, 4 days on the neurology floor, I was discharged to home, thanks to the brilliant hands and mind of a young neurosurgeon recently added to the staff by the University of Rochester medical Center. I would return 3 months later for a craniotomy to clip the two remaining aneurysms that did not rupture ( but were looking for a good reason to do so). I was able to return to work in a month after that with a patch over my right eye (permanent 3rd nerve palsy)and a new lease on life. I am very lucky that my after effects are not debilitating, only annoying (pressure headaches, neck cramps, double vision, minimal short term memory issues).

Hi and again Welcome...Thank you for sharing this truly inspiring story...wishing you a beautiful day ~ Colleen

Thank you, Colleen. It has been an interesting 5 years, some of which has been spent reveling in the glory of not having died, and some agonizing over what is no longer within my grasp. It all seems to balance out, though, in the end. I have had tremendous support from those who really cared, and have discovered who my real friends are, and have become. It's all a life-changing event, at many different levels.

Welcome Dodie! wow you are doing great! Good job joining and writing here!!- took me days to figure this site out! My SAH was 5 yrs ago and im permanently disabled but thanking God daily I can walk short distances and get into the shower, so yes you were very lucky and Blessed to come thru so well~ feel free to interact more- we love it! ~tc~

Ron, I have felt guilty at times when I realized how much more impact a SAH has had on others. I asked my neurosurgeon why some are more affected than others, and I got a list of variables, each with its own particular influence. I am sorry you have become disabled, but glad you are able to get out and about. Being "locked in", I think, would be the worst. Hopefully, as time passes, you will regain more mobility. It seems that the years do make a difference. It may not be time enough for all of us, but I do think someday they will have much more knowledge regarding treatments and recovery issues, and may be able to provide more targeted support to a wide range of after effects. I do believe that everything happens for a reason, but Lord knows, I would like some enlightening on this one!!!!!!! You, too, probably. :)

I so agree with you Dodie...that is why I consider it a continuous journey...~ Colleen

Glad you joined our happy little family Dodie. I'm one year post SAH corrected by a clipping surgery. Still have one left that the doctor and I are watching. Like you, I have returned to work, and only have a few small issues to deal with. I thank God daily for allowing me to make it through. This is an amazing group of people, hope to hear more from you.