New Here..Has anyone here had a serious gait disturbance caused by an aneurysm?

My neurologist called at 7:30pm on October 1st and said he had the results of my MRI and that he needed to discuss some findings with me. I saw him the next morning and he told me that I had an unruptured brain aneurysm and that he was going to consult with his colleague who was a neurosurgeon and refer me to him. The next morning, the neurosurgeon's office called and they wanted to see me that day. I was told that my case was the topic of a conference that morning, (it is a teaching hospital recently merged with a local university). They had a lot of students that were brought in to see my MRI results and even some in the examination room with me. Anyway, they told me it is 5 cm and the location was the left carotid artery where it splits off in the brain. They told me about the different procedures and that coil embolism is what they wanted to try, but first they wanted pictures of it (angiogram?). They were trying to schedule it for today, Friday, October 4th, but it was delayed when they found out that I had lost my insurance because I was unable to continue working because of extreme dizziness and a gait disturbance ( I cannot walk straight..I walk sideways and always to the left.) Hopefully, it will get scheduled next week as I just want to get it over with because I am afraid and I feel like a walking time bomb. My concerns are, first they said it was urgent, yet because I have no insurance it was delayed. The hospital has agreed to waive their fees and one of the nurse's said she will ask the neurosurgeon if he will do it for free. Still have to get an anesthesiologist to either do it free or accept payments. Secondly, the neurologist said he thought the gait disturbance was caused by the aneurysm, but the neurosurgeon was not sure if it was or not. So, I wondered if anyone here had any gait disturbance or difficulty walking and was it resolved after the aneurysm was either coiled or clipped?

Hello Expect,

It is possible that the aneurysm is pressing against a nerve leading to or from the brain and that could interrupt signals leading to gait problems. Nerve pathways are sometimes difficult to interpret because the pathways aren't as decipherable as say blood vessels which can show up remarkably well in MRI especially with contrast. Post surgical gait problems are not unusual but physical therapy will help - it did for my wife. Getting the surgical procedure is your most pressing need right now. Good luck and God Bless!

Ed

Thank you. This all came about so quickly, I have not had time to research or process all the things that I am being told. My sister who works processing claims and doing medical billing told me that the other hospitals in the area would not be so concerned about the lack of insurance. Luckily I live close to 5 hospitals, so if this doesn't get scheduled this week, I could go to another hospital. I was scheduled for a VNG and another test at a Vestibular and Balance center, but when they tried to verify my insurance and found that it had been cancelled they called and said I would have to pay 65% of the cost on the day of the test. I was going to have to pay over 900 on the day of the test, so I had to cancel. It is just a really bad time for me to lose my insurance, but I have a few options. For this weekend, the Drs. just told me if I get a bad headache or any new symptoms occur, I should just call 911 and get to the ER. I know I am one of the lucky ones who found out before it ruptured.

Again Welcome and Glad you are sharing your story...it is good that they may do it for free...rarely hear this anymore...I am coiled and before and after I didn't have a gait, but I did and continue to have dizzy and balance issues...keeping my "fingers and toes crossed" that you will get treatment...~ keep us posted ~ prayers out to you ~ Colleen

Thank you, I am sure this will all work out somehow. I am just a little afraid of anything going wrong because I have 2 daughters ages 21 and 17 both still live at home and they have no other parent. (their father was killed in a motorcycle accident when I was 8 months pregnant) So I worry about them more than myself. Plus, I am a little afraid of being awake during these procedures.

Well, I think there are 2 reasons for the hospital to offer to do it free. Hospitals that get state funding cannot turn away people who are unable to pay ( at least for emergencies). Also, this is a teaching hospital, and there would likely be a lot of students observing. I had about 5 students in the delivery room when I had my first daughter. LOL Of course, they asked if it was ok with me first and I am all for helping students get the experience they need to become good Drs.

Thank you. I am wondering if when he does the angiography and checks everything out if he will just go ahead and do the embolization. It would make more sense to do these as one procedure than to do 2 separate procedures, especially if there is risks involved with each.

Just read your blog.my heart goes out to u ,I have just joined this site as well ,I was diagnosed in April and am still waiting but mine is only 11mm I don't think I will complain anymore.

Please god you will get all the people you need to get you sorted and to hell with bloody money.wish I was rich right now .

Keep strong,try to keep calm and may all the angels and saints be with u.