My story

I was a single Mum of 3 and was referred to ENT Department in March 2005 to investigate periods of dizziness. They could find no obvious cause but decided to do a CT scan to investigate futher. I had the CT in April 2005 and a small aneurysm on my Right Internal Carotid was discovered.

I was then referred for an MRI scan and had this in October 2005. I was given the news that I had two berry aneurysms approximately 3mm and 7mm in size on 23rd December 2005 and was referred to a neurosurgeon to discuss my options.

I saw the neurosurgeon in February 2006 and he asked for an angio to be done in order to decide if I was a candidate for coiling or clipping. Angio revealed that aneurysms had increased in size to 5mm and 15mm ( i know!!) in a relatively short space of time and it therefore became quite urgent to have treatment especially on the larger of the two.

I had coiling done on 29th June 2006 (my middle sons 18th birthday) and recovered quite quickly but soon discovered that i had some visual loss. This was investigated and it was found that I had a right sided hemianopia which was likely caused by nerve damage during the procedure. This to me, was a small price to pay as the outcome could have been so much worse.

Follow up angios took place at six months and then annually, I had angios as I am very claustrophobic and unable to have MRI's. There was always a small amount of the aneurysm which was still 'filling' but neuro's decided just to keep an eye on it and also on the smaller aneurysm which had not been treated.

In May 2010 it was discovered that the main aneurysm was 'filling' more than previously and that futher smaller aneurysms has developed in the same artery. I was so worried about what the outcome of this would be but was reassured by my neurosurgeon and neuroradiologist that this could be treated with a very new procedure if I was willing to try it. The new procedure was a Pipeline stent/flow diverting stent which had only been used twice before in my local hospital.

I had every faith in my neuroradiologist and he was great at explaining the procedure and risks attached. I had the stent operation in September 2010 and so far, so good.

I have experienced the usual effects that every one seems to of tiredness, not feeling quite 'with it' and still some dizziness but I am for now happy with the way things have turned out.

I joined this forum as the pipeline stent procedure is still very new and I want to keep up to date with progress reports on the long term outcomes of treatment.

I am still able to work full time, take care of my family and in September will see my youngest child off to college. I am grateful for the life that i have and sometimes think how different things could have been and realise how lucky I am.

Glad your doing better…

Wow, well done to you

Thank you Tansy.

Thank you Sandra

Thank~you for sharing your story...~ Hope today brings you a Beautiful one...~ Colleen

Thank you for your report, Clare. And congratulations on your luck. I too am lucky although my story line is a bit different, SAH and clipping July 2011. I am so thankful to be so intact. My kids are long gone and I have a granddaughter who will turn 3 shortly. I am very thankful to be alive and I want to stick around for a while longer. I too am interested in learning about the stents and also the liquid that has a name other than glue which I can't remember. I think of it kind of like travertine--it fills in the voids. Welcome.

You might want to know that our posts do not stay private and you might want to use an alias to stay out of web searches.

Lleni

Thank you Colleen

Thanks Lleni, I think it helps to try and remain positive. Also thanks for the advice now all I have to figure out is how to change it to an alias!

Clare