My mom had an aneurysm

My mom suffered an aneurysm early last Saturday morning. We took her by ambulance to UVA hospital. The doctors did the coiling procedure and she was doing great. Yesterday she walked all the way up the hall, used the "potty chair" in her room, sat in her chair and has been passing all her neuro tests with flying colors. Last night she had a spell where her heart stopped beating for 6 seconds and then restarted itself. She has afib. Today it's happened twice more and each time it happens it takes longer for her to rebound from the spell. They've also been having trouble with her oxygen levels because there is fluid built up in her lungs. They've been giving her diuretics to get rid of the fluid, but she only urinated twice all day today. I'm worried sick and it seems like they have no answers for us. That's the worst part. I hate being in limbo and not understanding what's happening.

Hi Chris - sorry to read about your mom. I ended up with afib after my rupture along with pneumonia twice…seems like heart issues are an all too common factor that alot of us here share. Prayers that her doctors can get it under control and she can continue her impressive recovery…Up and walking 4 days post coiling is great!

First, your mom just had the rupture this past Saturday ... she is so early in the healing journey and cannot overdo...although walking and getting out of bed is good for fluid in the lungs...she is in a good place while having these issues...and the Doctors and nurses need to just take care of all that is going on...this journey takes time...rest of the brain and body...your mom has been through a lot...you hate being in limbo...well so does mom...Gotcha all in my Thoughts ~ Colleen

Thanks for your responses and well wishes. It helps hearing what everyone else has been through.

She's had heart issues for many years, but nothing too serious. I just feel so bad for her and all that she's going through it's heartbreaking. I wish I knew what to do for her. I'm there as much as possible and bring her little treats to try and get her to eat and tell her everyday that her family and friends send their love and well wishes. I try to do some of the care for her when I'm there. Other than that I don't know what else to do.

Colleen, my limbo comment may have come off as sounding like worry about myself, but it's not that. Mom and I have one of those relationships where roles are reversed. I'm the "parent" sort of and she always looks to me to fix things and answer her questions (it's been like that since I was 13 or so), but now I have no answers, no plan of action. I want to help her but I don't know how.

You are helping...everything you are doing is so much...really it is Chris...remember this is a long road...and you do have to take care of YOU too...or you will be no good to mom...

If you believe in some sort of faith...Hang on to it Chris...and remember some things are out of hands...~ thoughts out to you ~ Colleen

Thanks for your words of support, Colleen.....I'm holding tight to my beliefs and trust me there are moments when it seems that's all we have.

Thanks for reassuring me that what I’m doing matters. I really appreciate that. :slight_smile:

Chris,

I'm 45 and had a rupture on 1/17/14. I had no other issues except mitral valve prolapse prior to the rupture. I was unconscious the whole time but my husband said they had multiple issues with my heart doing crazy things and pneumonia. I think it's fairly common for these organs to be effected. Give it a little more time. Prayers!