My jounery so far

Hello, I found BA support siteafter I was dx with a 6.5mm fusiform aneurysm earlier this year after complaints of left sided headaches and double vision left eye. Upon discovery my neurologist sent me to local hospital where I had CT to confirm, the initial ER povider said " well aneurysms are very common, just go on with your life, and by the way you have a neurosurgeon consult setup for next week" ( obviously very inappropriate advice from ER provider. Had my consult with a fantastic Neurosurgeon, I was taken out of work till I had a ct angiogram to look further. Due to a several family members dying from aneurysm rupture, I recently had the pipeline embolization. I now am concerned of life changes/ adjustments, can I workout? Fly in an airplane? What can I expect? When an I return full duty. Will my life be the same as prior to pipline embolization? What has your experience been with followups, how often, . I will definitely speak to Neurosurgeon, but want to hear what your Neurosurgeon(s) advised. Thanking you all for listening to my story.

1 Like

Good Morning! Thank you for reminding us that our families need to be checked out when we rupture. Mine told us to let my siblings and their offspring know right away they needed to have an MRI whilst I was still in NSICU. I’ve learned since tjoining this support group, many of our members are never told that. I think you and your family experiences are why I was told. Hopefully more family members can be checked.

Hopefully, the ER doc was just making an attempt at assuaging any fears you may have had at the time. There is wisdom in that we do need to continue on and not allow our aneurysms to control our lives in my experience. I ruptured and had never heard of a cerebral aneurysm so ignorance wasn’t bliss.

I flew the week after my third repair attempt for my ruptured aneurysm and did fine. It was only from Charlotte to Ronald Reagan up in DC. Of course I had clearance from my Neurosurgeon. We got it right after my procedure up in NSICU. I do have a 40 pound weight limit that I consistently ignore when I need to move things, it aggravates her but she knows I want to live my life. It can also cause me to have a day off the next day depending on how much weight I’ve lifted moving things. But I think Neurosurgeons get stuck on the 40 lb weight limit because the one who did my lumbar surgery told me the same weight limit.:joy:

Many of our members get to return to work within 6-12 weeks after a procedure, some earlier depending on their profession and how they’re doing. When is your follow up appointment? What did the discharge papers say? Your Neurosurgeon should have provided a list of rules for the Discharge RN to write on the discharge. Mine always told me to hydrate with both water and a sports drink, my follow up appointment, among other things. For me, my follow ups just to see my Neurosurgeon was between one and six weeks, usually six weeks. I would get a follow up diagnostic angiogram six months after the repair (I’ve had 4 for the rupture). Some of our members don’t have to do a follow up angiogram. Many of us do a follow up MRI/A about the six month mark, then it starts to extend out. I’m up to 3 years now! It really depends on your Neurosurgeon.

My Neurosurgeon’s mantra is hydrate, eat protein, hydrate some more, rest and repeat when I’ve done too much, have a headache or just my neurological symptoms get bad. It’s served me well and controls a lot of my headaches and side effects from my rupture. I also get the same mantra just for a diagnostic angiogram as I’m allergic to the dye and I don’t get along with anesthesia, it’s to flush everything out of my system. The faster I can flush it, within reason, the better I feel. I’ve since learned the brain is an energy hog and we need to provide it a lot so it can heal.

I think an important question is how are you feeling now? I do hope the many members who’ve had a PED for their cerebral aneurysm come and share their stories.

2 Likes

I truly appreciate your response. I had the procedure on April 15, a week ago. I do get tired, after attempting to clean or vacuum my home. ( I love a clean home).

I return for my followup in 3 weeks. My immediate discharge were simple, no lfting over 10 pounds, no driving for 2 weeks. Hydrate with sports drink ( Gatorade).

No the ER doc was an idiot :roll_eyes: . Luckily I am a registered nurse, and my neurologist who ordered the mri took me out of work as he felt I immediately needed the procedure. That experience along tells me ER and emergency personnel need more training / education in regards to unruptured aneurysms. I myself was trained as a RN in early 2000’s a lot has changed in the field and preventative tmt of un ruptured aneurysms.

I am glad I found this group.

My flight :airplane: I have planned is from NYC to Hawaii, a 13 hr non stop flight, or more if I take connections. I have serious :worried: concerns regarding flying turbulence, cabin pressure etc.

Thank you
Christine :cherry_blossom:

3 Likes

Hi @My2024
Congratulations to having your brain aneurysm fixed before it ruptured. You are indeed a lucky girl. Mine ruptured 31/2 years ago and I am among the lucky ones who have survived without any major damage. I had a second procedure done six months later where I got a stent and more coils.
Six months later when I had my follow up angiogram I asked my neurosurgeon if I can fly overseas to attend my son’s wedding, it’s a 20 hours trip door to door with three different connections. He said that nothing can happen in my head and I could definitely fly. I just had to be careful about bumping into things as I still was on a high dose of Aspirin.
I was anxious before the trip and I had brought my earplugs and eye mask if I needed to get away from the noise and sharp light. I used the mask and tried to get a couple of hours sleep over the ocean. Everything went fine and I had taken the same trip three times after that and a fourth is coming up this summer. The only thing is that I need some more sleep and it takes me longer time to adjust to the six hours time difference.
I hope that your experience will be the same.
Remember that you have to listen to your body and it will tell you if you need to rest or slow down.
All the best to you
From a fellow ( retired ) RN and CNM with most of my professional life overseas.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you had a positive outcome,post rupture. I appreciate your prompt reply. I am very close to retiring, this situation really made me realize how precious life and family truly is. Never thought I would have an aneurysm, I have absolutely no risk factors except strong familial history, my father ( 80)and 2 uncles died in ther 50’s from ruptured aneurysm. I did not want to take the wait and watch route.

2 Likes

@My2024
It’s the same with me… no major risk factors just a slight elevated blood pressure that was treated.Non smoking , exercise etc. No history in my family. I can understand why you didn’t want the risk of wait and see, it’s a scary diagnosis to know that we have an aneurysm in our brain but it is better to know than not knowing.
I’m sure you will be fine, but to my understanding it can take a little while even for those who didn’t rupture.
We have a great group of people in this forum and we all support each other.

It’s time for a walk in the sunshine

:heart_hands:

2 Likes

RNs are some of my favorite people! You’re correct on the need for education. In my experience that there needs to be more education not only in ERs but in local ICUs on aneurysms, ischemic strokes and correct documentation. If it’s not documented, it didn’t happen.

Can’t wait until you tell us about the flight to and from HA! Keep your ear plugs handy. I can remember when we used to be allowed to upgrade to First Class for a nominal fee, if there were available seats, it’s quieter up there. I don’t know if airlines allow one to do that anymore.

1 Like

I’m new to this from England, I saw my neurologist on Thursday, my Annie is 4 mm , he said he will scan again in 12 months, live my life another 30 years , I have no symptoms they just accidentally found it x