My first post

I live in UK so some of my terminology may differ from US. I had to have surgery to remove aneurysm although I also had fluid on my brain. Due to many. complications, blood clot & infection, this resulted in 8 surgeries & a 6 week 4 day stay in hospital on High Dependancy Unit. I eventually successfully had stent inserted which I believe will remain in place long long term.
I have now been home nearly 8 weeks & I am functioning really well although I am not fully focused as though my brain is still focusing. I can see & it is difficult to explain to others what I am actually experiencing. I have an optician appointment today so I am hoping some glasses may help me feel more focused & maybe even return to work. Would anyone have any similar issues on recovery & support please?
Some days I feel so impatient & frustrated as I just want to return to work / gym / normal life but understand recovery will be a long time.
Thank you in advance
Lucy

1 Like

Welcome Ms. Lucy! The members here are a wonderful source of support. We are really glad you have joined us.

English is a tough language isn’t it? Even in the States, a word can have different meanings determinate on the area one lives. We have members from all over the world, so no worries. The biggest problem you will find is all the different time zones, so be patient, members will respond.

You have been through it haven’t you! But you’ve made it. The feeling like you can’t focus could be from your brain trying to reconnect the pathways. Before I could get my eyes checked, I had to be about six months from procedure, even an angiogram as the anesthesia can do a bit of havoc. Rest when you need to. This isn’t a broken arm or pulled muscle, your body and your brain have been through it and rest is a requirement. Stay hydrated. Your brain needs the water, don’t skimp. One of our members shared about a gallon a day so it’s about 3.8 liters for you. Protein…I had to have 90 grams minimum a day. Seven years out, I still have to eat a lot of protein and stay hydrated or my brain doesn’t function as well as it could. I use Greek yogurt, protein shakes and bars to help achieve the level I need. I’m not sure what the UK recommends, talk to the doctors or perhaps ask a nutritionist/dietician.

Families and friends will be supportive or they won’t. It can be very frustrating. Sometimes those closest to you want to really protect you. Eventually you will have to tell them enough. Sometimes those closest to you don’t want to see there is a problem, so they minimize what we are feeling or experiencing. And there are those who because we don’t have any visual cues like a broken bone just won’t get it. They may leave your life and it will be okay. One thing that will common among our members is our ability to persevere. So hang in there, we really are here for you!

Ah thank you so much for your email. It is so lovely & positive. I will certainly take your advice on board & I look forward to being part of the community.

Take care

Lucy

1 Like

Hey Lucy,
My name is Merl. I’m a member of the moderator support team here on Ben’s Friends and I’m in Australia, just to add to the confusion with terminology. We’ve got people here from all over the world, so I can assure you, if you’re confused with some terminology, you won’t be the only one. So, just ask, someone will know. But we all work it all out fairly well eventually.

I was the same, I wanted my old life back and the frustration, that was HUGE. But the longer and slower you take your recovery, often the better the outcome. Yes, it certainly is frustrating BUT if, like me, you push that recovery you can do more harm than good. I had, what I call ‘A honeymoon period’. Yea, I had a headache but it was to be expected, so I kept pushing a bit more… …told myself I was building stamina. But I over did it and something went ‘POP’.

The High Dependancy Units are not nice places, in fact I’d recommend avoiding them if at all possible, but when it’s not possible, they are the best place to be. I’ve had a few ‘visits’ over the years post neurosurgery, one directly related to me pushing my recovery too soon. I too wanted that ‘normal life’ and the result has been anything but normal. The ‘recovery thing’ can be a long, slow process. Please, do not push it. Take the time your body (and mind) needs to recover fully.

Eye issues are not uncommon and for some people lenses can be of assistance. I hope your optician can assist. For some people they may need to see an ophthalmologist for a more in depth optical investigation, this maybe something you can discuss with you neuro if you find the lenses do not relieve your symptoms.

Merl from the Modsupport Team

1 Like

Thank you so much MOD for your advice which I will certainly follow. My life pre surgery was so so busy, working full time, 2 teenage children, dog, gym & I never sat still which I loved. I am trying to keep busy to occupy myself, trying to promote a sense of normal routine for my kids / family whilst trying my very very best to be patient & acknowledge that the lack of focus I am experiencing is temporary. It is difficult & I am desperate to feel more focused but hey ho.
Thank you again
Lucy

1 Like