My daughter and her journey

Dear Kay,

I do hope and pray your daughter continues to improve. That her husband could not honor his vows says so much about his integrity. Be well!

Hi Kay,

If you haven’t done so already, please check the accessibility settings on your keyboard and monitor. There may some adjustments to make using her computer easier. Please also check the desk, chair and monitor heights to make sure that she is a comfortable as possible.

Your computer, if it is not too old, should have a voice option which can be used to train the computer to recognize your daughter’s voice, sort of like Siri for the iPhone. When I get on my desktop tomorrow, I will take a look for the specifics, but you can look under My Comouter.

One more thought, if there are schools for the visually and/ or hearing impaired in your area, you may want to call and arrange a visit with them to see what new computer tools they have that you might be able to adapt for your daughter.

Good luck to you.

Carole

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your prayers. I pray for improvement for her everyday and we have seen so much more than her doctors ever expected. I have to remind myself of this when I get down about not having her as she was before the rupture.

Kay

Hi Carole,

Thanks for your suggestions. I've set the font to the largest and we have the large letter keyboard for her but it all still seems to tire her out. Even when I read her messages to her, her replies are usually very short because even though she can remember the people, she can't remember what they did together and can't remember what's she herself has done to tell them about.

Kay

Hi Kay,

Under the Accessibility options there are display settings that you may allow you to make her monitor easier to read.

The Speech options allow you to set speech recognition.

l have a roller mouse and a split keyboard with all kinds of adjustment options to make using them easier on my hands (I've been a heavy computer user from almost 30 years).

New options are being introduced each day so maybe something new will soon be available to make life easier for your daughter.

Perhaps her involvement with new folks here on BAF could be less taxing. She won't have to try so hard to remember the past. Instead she can start with new memories and have the benefit of being able to refresh her memory by re-reading the postings.

Please ask her not to be embarrassed to ask her friends to help her with her memory. If you've not done this already, you may want to ask "special" people to send a note describing a special memory and to include photos, if possible. Even if she doesn't remember, she could still have a very special book of the memories of her friends. :-)

It is quite normal for those of us who have had clippings not to be able to remember things even after prodding. My brothers and sisters have often related stories of our experiences that I can't remember. I can still enjoy their stories even though I'm frustrated about not remembering "my part".

Good luck and may God bless both of you.

Carole

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. We don't have speech options on our computer.

I did have family and friends write memory pages for her and I have them in a three hole binder where I also have a page telling her the date, weather, what the day's plans are, what she did yesterday and what plans are coming up for the next day. I also have a sheet listing the things we are having for the three meals that day. I also tell her things from her past often but I have to be careful because sometimes it just sends her into sadness.

Have a great day and God bless,

Kay

Hi Kay,

Thanks for sharing this with me. May God continue to bless you and give you the strength that you need to provide such good care for your daughter. May she continue to improve each day.

Take care.
Carole

She is so fortunate to have a caregiver like you. May God bless you for your kindness and compassion :pray:t2::+1::heart:

You found a topic that’s 11 years old! I will close it tomorrow if no one responds.