Music that inspires us

This is a topic to share the music that has inspired us to keep going and to enjoy life. It can also be music that makes us think and ponder …basically whatever helps you get through the day.

@oct20 is the reason for this topic as she posted a wonderful song by Bill Withers. I can’t figure out how to paste it on here so I will shoot her a PM

Here it comes. I hope the link works

2 Likes

I find that I can decompress and relax to music from my youth. So thank goodness that Sirius XM exists now because I can find a channel that is just what I want when I want it.

2 Likes

I love Pandora for the same reason and I can pick my songs of which there are many😂. One of my all time favorites is Carole King

1 Like

I’m much more aware of classical music.

Prompted by @BrianS, this piece is beautiful and relaxing (and I’ve just happened upon the Orchestra of the Swan and this recording is just gorgeous). Listen through good headphones or a decent Bluetooth sound system :two_hearts:

There are a bunch of other pieces of music I could go to as well. Invite me back each week! :wink:

1 Like

Ach, forgot to tell you Mr. Richard -you’re invited😉

2 Likes

So, ignoring that it is getting to be a lot like Christmas, this piece is one of my favourites: Barber’s Adagio for Strings. The slower the better and ideally with a chamber orchestra – there’s a beautiful sharpness with just a dozen strings being played (just four being too few in my opinion, and a full orchestra a bit much).

However, this is the only slowish one I can find on YouTube, so have a listen to this.

My favourite recording is this one: very crisp sound (“gorgeous” again!) but not available to listen online anywhere that I’ve found:

3 Likes

Oh my that’s beautiful Mr. Richard! Here’s a couple of my favorite holiday songs:

And of course

1 Like

@Moltroub @DickD @BrianS
Such a lovely post this is.
Here comes a Norwegian artist, her name is
Sissel Kyrkjebø
She has a voice like a silver bell. Here comes Silent Night
Happy Holidays to you all.

@oct20 can I say thank you for introducing me to Sissel! I have family who live in Norway, so I understand more than you might expect but I rather like some of her Norwegian songs.

Very nice indeed!

Takk skal du har!

1 Like

@DickD
Vaersågod :slight_smile:
I also prefer her songs in the Norwegian language. Someone said many years ago that Norway is a very rich country , they have oil, gas and Sissel.
Sweden is my native country and our languages are similar.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I could listen to her all day, she doesn’t hurt my brain and she has one of the best renditions of Ave Maria I’ve ever heard. I imagine I’ll be downloading one of her albums if not more!

I looked this up just for you: god jul, min vän

1 Like

@Moltroub
Her voice is just wonderful .
God Jul back to you :mrs_claus:t2::christmas_tree:

2 Likes

This is my contribution this week

2 Likes

So I can’t resist sharing music. Here goes again!

Some months ago, UK television Channel 4 staged a competition to draw talented pianists by placing a piano in railway stations around the country, filming and judging a selection of players in secret.

The prize was to play in a concert at the Royal Festival Hall (and I think the judges awarded each of the finalists a piano :star_struck:)

The most inspiring performance was by Lucy, a young lady who is blind, autistic and has fortunately found her way into a setting that has helped her to flourish.

This was her performance at the RFH: Debussy’s Arabesque No 1.

If you’re in the UK, the whole series is available here. Lucy first appeared in Episode 2. I think it is quite an inspiring series to watch.

And if you look further on YouTube, you can find a semi-documentary about Lucy put together by The Amber Trust. (It looks like a prospectus film for the trust.)

I have to say, I think Lucy’s story is a wonderful story that was brought to a much wider audience through a seemingly innocent competition and I am equally enthralled by her teacher, Daniel Bath. Amazing story and some super music! I hope you like this as much as I do!

2 Likes