Mom unconscious after un-ruptured aneurysm surgery

My 72 year old mom was showing signs of dementia in November and she rapidly aged (looks 90). We thought perhaps it was Alzheimer’s, but an MRI showed a gigantic aneurysm on the left side of her brain. She had surgery two days ago. The original intention was for the neurosurgeons to clip the aneurysm. During the surgery, it was discovered there were several blood vessels feeding the aneurysm and they ultimately removed the aneurysm. The neurosurgeons stated the surgery was a success. During the first night, she had brain swelling and they had to open her cranium to relieve the pressure. They expected her to be awake the next day, but she was unconscious and unresponsive to pain stimulation. Today was day two and she is still unconscious, but she is moving her arms and legs. We were amazed how much younger she looks and that is giving us I hope she will eventually rebound. The ICU personnel think she could be unconscious for several days. My question is: has anyone experienced or known of a person who was unconscious for days after the surgery? I’m optimistic yet terrified of what’s to come. Thank you all…Matt

Matt, this is not uncommon I was in an induced coma for 6 days after my Crany and my 2 aneurysm do to the brain swelling. The doctors know what they are doing and your mother is going to come out of this is excellent shape.

The one thing is that recovery is going to take some time so you will have to take it slow and easy.

Ray Dempsey

Ray, thank you so much for replying. I will share your success story with my family later this morning at the ICU. They will all be comforted by the hopeful message.

Matt