Lightheadedness (I don't think that's a word..oh well) versus dizziness

My aneurysm ruptured in February 2014. I no longer feel like I'm in a fog, but...2 weeks ago I began having balance issues. It feels like more of a "head rush" than actual dizziness. I'm back to using my cane...which sucks. It sort of comes and goes but I'm surprised to be experiencing this 19 months later. Has anyone else experienced this? My doc did blood work, which only showed a high sed rate. I feel like it HAS to be from the SAH, but I could be wrong.

PC66...welcome...I cannot tell from these sites when someone arrives...so welcome...current or belated...

I did glance over your intro data...as I understand it, you were clipped...yet still had treatment endovascularly...the stents(s)...?

When did you have your last f/u w/a neurosurgeon or neuro-whatever? if not, when are you scheduled?

Again, welcome...

I had my second and final angiogram in February and have only been dealing with my PCP since then. I have now been thinking that a trip to my Neuro may be in order. Are you thinking the same? Thanks for responding, patioplans! (love your "handle") And yes...I had several procedures during my 28 days in the neuro ICU.

patioplans said:

PC66...welcome...I cannot tell from these sites when someone arrives...so welcome...current or belated...

I did glance over your intro data...as I understand it, you were clipped...yet still had treatment endovascularly...the stents(s)...?

When did you have your last f/u w/a neurosurgeon or neuro-whatever? if not, when are you scheduled?

Again, welcome...

Guess which doc you see depends on what/how the PCP is doing f/u for you...

You may want to view that one strokeSTOP article...it is noted under the category of 'resources'...to help you in talking w/your neuro...It all starts w/the aneurysm...which artery and segment(s) are related...and, of course, the size/shape of the aneurysm is important, too...

The strokeSTOP...relates the structures in our brain to the specific arteries supplying them. ...I was so engaged by it, that I am hoping it helps others...

For example...I just learned that the reading comprehension area is at the connection of the parietal lobe top the occipital lobe...No doc had explained that tome...from neuro-whatever to anything other... I went thru a lengthy vision therapy to regain any reading comprehension...and, I am yet so slow...

If you do not know the artery name and the related segments, call your neuro doc's office and ask...

Keep us updated...

pixiechick66 said:

I had my second and final angiogram in February and have only been dealing with my PCP since then. I have now been thinking that a trip to my Neuro may be in order. Are you thinking the same? Thanks for responding, patioplans! (love your "handle") And yes...I had several procedures during my 28 days in the neuro ICU.

patioplans said:

Again, welcome...

I have significant balance issues too. I see a neurologist who has evaluated me every 6 months to see if it gets better or worse (slowly getting worse). I know there are physical therapists who can give you balance exercises to strengthen your balance awareness. My problems come when I need to turn, and that causes the fall, so I turn very slowly. I hold on to stair rails and go one step at a time, going down is worse than up. my fear of falling is getting to be a problem, since I habpve already broken my wrist and kneecap. I no longer go out in the snow or sleet alone because I am so unsteady. My neighbor will come and walk with me if I need to go out in that weather. I have a cane, but resist using it. the seizure drug may be part of the problem. I am not a doctor but I don’t understand how a blood test by itself would help you with balance. I vote for seeing an expert if your insurance will let you.

Thank you SO much for the suggestion of the article. I am finding that after having a SAH that I have to be more proactive regarding my health. I also have Crohn's Disease for which I've had 15 surgeries and multiple hospitalizations. I'm telling you that because sometimes I like to just stick my head in the sand when it comes to my health issues. As irresponsible as that sounds...I find I cannot do that now.

I'm so glad you told me about your reading and comprehension. I'm having the same issues!! I was an avid reader prior to my SAH and now...I'm not. I miss it.

Thanks again for the recommendation of the article and making me realize I should be a bit more proactive. I have NO IDEA of arteries or segments, so I'll be making a call to my neuro. Thanks again for replying!
patioplans said:

Guess which doc you see depends on what/how the PCP is doing f/u for you...

You may want to view that one strokeSTOP article...it is noted under the category of 'resources'...to help you in talking w/your neuro...It all starts w/the aneurysm...which artery and segment(s) are related...and, of course, the size/shape of the aneurysm is important, too...

The strokeSTOP...relates the structures in our brain to the specific arteries supplying them. ...I was so engaged by it, that I am hoping it helps others...

For example...I just learned that the reading comprehension area is at the connection of the parietal lobe top the occipital lobe...No doc had explained that tome...from neuro-whatever to anything other... I went thru a lengthy vision therapy to regain any reading comprehension...and, I am yet so slow...

If you do not know the artery name and the related segments, call your neuro doc's office and ask...

Keep us updated...

pixiechick66 said:

patioplans said:

Again, welcome...

Sigmund...I'm so sorry you are having such a difficult time. Going through what we've gone through is so frustrating. People go in and have surgeries and procedures all the time and walk out with just weeks of recovery. Our recovery is slow and often wrought with permanent issues. I know what you mean about using the cane. It does make a better hanger than walking implement! I hope your wrist is feeling better, but what can they do for a broken kneecap? That must have been very painful and probably still is. I fool myself into thinking I'm indestructible everyday!! I'm glad you're being careful and will start to do some of the things you are doing...walking down one step at a time, holding on to the rail and NOT walking in snow or sleet.

Best wishes for "getting your head on straight" and not feeling dizzy.

~Stephanie

Sigmund said:

I have significant balance issues too. I see a neurologist who has evaluated me every 6 months to see if it gets better or worse (slowly getting worse). I know there are physical therapists who can give you balance exercises to strengthen your balance awareness. My problems come when I need to turn, and that causes the fall, so I turn very slowly. I hold on to stair rails and go one step at a time, going down is worse than up. my fear of falling is getting to be a problem, since I habpve already broken my wrist and kneecap. I no longer go out in the snow or sleet alone because I am so unsteady. My neighbor will come and walk with me if I need to go out in that weather. I have a cane, but resist using it. the seizure drug may be part of the problem. I am not a doctor but I don't understand how a blood test by itself would help you with balance. I vote for seeing an expert if your insurance will let you.