Is this common for survivors?

I've posted on here several times about things I've been experiencing since my clipping, (craniotomy) on 6/26/12. Fortunately, I had a successful surgery and was back to work in 5 weeks.

I surprisingly wasn't that scared before my surgery and when it was over I really felt like I had been blessed and was never angry about it.

I don't know if it's because I had brain surgery or if anyone that's had a life threatening experience feels like this but I find that I'm much more laid back and sillier than I used to be. I don't get upset over things that used to bother me before and I find that I'm much more eager to do things that I was worried about people judging me for.

I'm laughing more at work even when I'm really really busy, I even put up silly quotes and pictures in my cubicle. I used to clean a lot on weekends and now I just want to go out and do something fun plus I'm getting another tattoo which is pretty big to most people but I just don't care because I really like it!

I'm just enjoying my life so much more and feel like I used to constrict myself before this happened. Is this typical for "survivors" ?

Funny that I was just thinking the same thing today...much more laid back, much less judgmental, and all around (at least I think) a better person. Not thrilled with what I went through to get here, but glad to be here. I am going to get a survivor ribbon tattoo...I have one on my left arm for my girlfriend who is a breast cancer survivor and I think a matching one on my right arm would look good. Let's just enjoy life!

Hum..I don't have a clue if its normal or not...but I LIKE IT !! Peace, Janet

I think we just "Get It" you know see the big picture a little clearer than most people. I do think our family members get it too. donna w

Hi Sue,

You're very lucky your surgeon told you all of this. I'm glad mine did a good job but he pretty much told me nothing of what to expect. I felt the same as you though....I was never what I would have considered "normal" before the surgery....lol, maybe that was a good thing. I think the only thing I have a problem with now is my grammer but I try just to laugh at my errors when I write.

I'm going to enjoy the way I feel now and hope it lasts. I'm happy for you as well! Just wish this is the way it would have worked out for everyone though.

thank you all for the replies and yes....let's just enjoy our life :)