Has anyone gone on disability?

Ed Dunlej said:

To all,

Just about each State makes its own determinations on disability so obtaining SS Disability depends not only the knowledge of the lawyer but also the knowledge of the adjudicating officials. My wife was denied all the way through to the Federal Courts. As I read the decisions of the judges I was appalled at their lack of knowledge of the special needs and issues for brain aneurysm survivors. We had everything covered each way to Sunday with multiple medical disciplines offering professional medical opinions on my wife's medical disabilities. Because my wife was ruptured in 1994, Social Security would have been on the hook for almost $300,000 in back benefits so was that part of their determination? Makes me wonder because we met every letter of the law. If we would have lived in Purto Rico it probably would have been a positive decision based on the reported percentage of approved applications. California and New York have their own programs and can have a significant financial impact (not always good!).

It is also important to know that there is a difference in what type of Social Security you receive. Social Security Insurance (SSI) is easier to obtain but has the lowest monthly payout and as I understand it would reduce benefits normally received at age 65 versus applying for and winning Social Security Disability (SSD). These are two separate and distinct programs so be careful as it will impact your lifelong benefits.

Ed

The difference is, SSI is 'welfare'. While SSDI is 'disability'.

Siobhan, if you are able to work for a few months at a time, they will not consider you disabled.
If they see that you are able get some form of employment, and stay at it for several months, you are not disabled in their view. I think it is best to get evidence about how the aneurysm affects your ability to commute to work, which would apply to any form of employment, and how it affects the ability to learn and remember new things, which is relevant to any job. It would be helpful to get letters from former employers to describe your aneurysm-related problems at the job that resulted in your loss of the job. If you have had accidents on the way to work, or had to stop driving, or get lost and have to ask for help those are good to mention. The SS office in New York provides free counselors to talk about how best to apply and what evidence you need. I don’t know if it is true in every state. You have to build a case that you cannot work, and it is hard to do that if you have worked.

Christopher Range said:

Siobhan Ranniello said:

I have been trying to receive disability for 7 years now. I wish I had “lawyered up” as soon as I was released from rehab after a level 4 brain aneurysm. Sadly, I have been denied 3 times now. My short term memory is most severely damaged. It’s almost nearly impossible to hold down a job for more than a few months.

Your experience is not all that surprising, or uncommon. While I got it on the first application. I have heard of it being commonplace, to be rejected the first time, and having to re-apply in some cases, as many times as you have.

It makes one wonder. Does a person have to be an amputee of both arms, both legs, have glass eyes, be incontinent, constipated, and completely deaf. For the Social Security Administration to approve someone without question.

I can't understand why they do that to deserving people.

I don't agree that you can't get disability if you work for a few months. I think this help my case tremendously that I sincerely tried to go back to my job. Even though I was unsuccessful in my attempt, I did try to make it work. That helped me with my long term disability through my employer, as well as the Social Security Disability. The two doctors who examined me for Social Security Disability, one a general MD, and one a psychologist, stated that they didn't see how it could have worked out for me to return to work, but they gave me credit for trying. I got Social Security Disability without a problem, first time.

interesting sharon, i needed only my pcp's letter of perm disabled, a lot must depend on your dr or their willingness to help?? or i was just plain messed up-lol tc

Sharon...I think you are so right...I, and many others, attempted to return to work...when we sort of "look normal"... hey,we can shower and put on clean clothes...Sharon, you were also blessed w/the two doctors you note... My only question...are they the usual doctors in your clinic/facility and knew your status, or were they provided by SS?

My question is for all those who have had, or are having, such difficulty in their application for disability.

Sharon E. Morey said:

I don't agree that you can't get disability if you work for a few months. I think this help my case tremendously that I sincerely tried to go back to my job. Even though I was unsuccessful in my attempt, I did try to make it work. That helped me with my long term disability through my employer, as well as the Social Security Disability. The two doctors who examined me for Social Security Disability, one a general MD, and one a psychologist, stated that they didn't see how it could have worked out for me to return to work, but they gave me credit for trying. I got Social Security Disability without a problem, first time.

The two doctors I had to see on my road to get Social Security Disability were provided by Social Security. I was just informed of the appointment times and I had to be there. Good luck to everyone who is attempting to get SS Disability. It is true. If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me "Well, you look fine", I would probably be a millionaire. It's sad that they have no clue. Thank God for the people on this site who "Get It".

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
It has been 1yr since I went back to work and it has been a crazy year. The staff thinks I’m myself but I have deficits that only I noticed because I can hide in my office. Sounds good but I feel so incompetent because my memory is steadily declining. I have no clue how much brain damage I have but feels like I’m getting worse. I am struggling with coming out of work, because my family is destroyed so I don’t have any support in my recovery. I was scammed out of my savings which is another part of my deficits. SSDI is the least of my worries.

The two doctors that the state provided for me were terrible. One was an MD, and one a psychologist, neither of which I would ever see on my own, really terrible doctors.

Sharon E. Morey said:

The two doctors I had to see on my road to get Social Security Disability were provided by Social Security. I was just informed of the appointment times and I had to be there. Good luck to everyone who is attempting to get SS Disability. It is true. If I had a dollar for every time someone has told me "Well, you look fine", I would probably be a millionaire. It's sad that they have no clue. Thank God for the people on this site who "Get It".

I would have chosen the psychologist. He was very kind and knowledgeable. However, the MD was horrible, I agree. He pumped up the blood pressure cuff so hard that it broke. Then he stated, Wonder how that happened. His office left a lot to be desired, not as clean as I would have liked. I came from a background of working in doctors' offices, so I knew what should have been.

Ed and Sharon have given excellent advice here and other disability conversations. The paper trail is imperative. Each state is given the responsibility to determine SS approval. Please check your state. In NC, I found out through an attorney there is no code for SAH. One must use Hemmoraghic Stroke. So I blew the first round. Age, Education,etc can all effect receiving SS or not. By Federal mandate a disability attorney can only receive 25% of the amount awarded to the disabled.

The difference between SSI and SSDI is the amount you worked and paid into U.S. Social Security Benefits or not. Perhaps you were a child when disability issues started, parents told about CAP and you were lucky enough to have it transferred when you became age of majority (18). Go here http://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/overview-disability.htm#a0=-1. Neither is “welfare”. Or perhaps you worked under the FDA guidelines in restaurants, in the fields and didn’t make enough. But say one worked under the table to, oh I don’t know, …avoid paying child support, or taxes…one may not have enough in to qualify for the larger amount had they claimed the income.

If you’re upset, contact your Congressman and Senators - get Brain Aneurysm Awareness out there. We can support each other here…we already know…it’s everyone else we need to teach. Be kind, be respectful, be persistent:)

Sharon...sorry for my lateness...I was having some difficulty with my "system"...another story..

I was somehow blessed; did not need to see an MD; SSD did the neuropsych testing...I was blessed...his testing was tremendous (compared to the one at the hospital 90 days post-discharge) and his report was quite explicit as to average, delayed, (whatever all the terms)...,

W/the known intent of the BAF/other attempting to secure Congress acknowledgement of brain aneurysms...somehow, suggests we should be able to get it thru SSD...which suggests some of us should form the guidelines to present to SSD... from do they request the CD/DVD of the angios/other imaging and have the expert to review them? Many more related portions to this... will skip for now...but ti should mean a lot...after what I resented (barely) in my 11th anniversary...which will be so expanded when I complete my 12th anniversary data...

I was just blessed with a quality psychologist/other SSD staff... too long a story for now...

Sharon E. Morey said:

Patioplans-------

Just wanted to share how blessed I feel today. Yesterday, May 30, was the eighth anniversary of my ruptured brain aneurysm. At this time eight years ago, my beloved husband, Jim, was phoning my children (two of them out of town) to come home to say goodbye to me. I was not expected to survive the night. With some expert doctoring and many, many prayers I survived. Am I the same person. Absolutely not. But I do cherish each and every day now. I have many short term memory issues, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I live in the moment. So what if I don't remember a book I have read or a movie I have watched down the road a few months, I enjoy it now. I have learned to like the new me because I say what I think and do what I say I will. Let the chips fall where they may, life is really too short to be fake. God bless you on your journey.

1 Like

Yes...we all do ...and to varying degrees depending on status post-treatment.

You were blessed...and., we should enjoy each day...to each of our interests, commitments and social connections...and, what we can afford to do on the income status.

Thank you, an blessings to you, to.

Sharon E. Morey said:

Patioplans-------

Just wanted to share how blessed I feel today. Yesterday, May 30, was the eighth anniversary of my ruptured brain aneurysm. At this time eight years ago, my beloved husband, Jim, was phoning my children (two of them out of town) to come home to say goodbye to me. I was not expected to survive the night. With some expert doctoring and many, many prayers I survived. Am I the same person. Absolutely not. But I do cherish each and every day now. I have many short term memory issues, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I live in the moment. So what if I don't remember a book I have read or a movie I have watched down the road a few months, I enjoy it now. I have learned to like the new me because I say what I think and do what I say I will. Let the chips fall where they may, life is really too short to be fake. God bless you on your journey.

June 26th will be 13 years for me. 2 ruptures and 1 clamped. I was denied 2 times already, working on my third appeal. I have hired an attorney from the start. I guess they don't look at us survivors as "disabled". Short Term memory is a very frustrating feeling. I gave up driving due to my focusing. I was actually aiming for the sidewalk. After that, I never drove again.

My husband, Jim, brought up the theory that maybe where you live could factor in to getting Social Security Disability. My family doctor mentioned to me when I applied that he thought age was a factor. I was 59 when my rupture occurred, so maybe that helped. We live in Pennsylvania. Jim said maybe in bigger cities, there is more of a problem. I don't know what the answer is. Short term memory issues are very frustrating, especially to someone who was used to multitasking and being in control most of the time. Good luck to you, Lorraine. I hope the attorney you have assisting you can be of help to you.

I appreciate that Sharon. Thank you :)

Lorraine...I think Maltroub referenced this website...

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/social-security-disability-stroke....

You may want to view it if you have not already. Your attorney may have covered all and more...

Somewhere in this data, SSD views "hemorrhagic stroke" vs a 'brain aneurysm'...

Has SSD done any testing?

Have you seen a neuroophthalmalogist re: your focusing?

On the transfer record from the hospital I was in to home health care (HHC), hemianopsia was noted; and was not noted on the formal maintained med records...nor covered w/family/caregivers..

Have you had extensive hearing tests? I have loss (reduction) in both L/R ears and it is typically called sensorineural hearing loss ... at least it was by the neurotologist who saw me...post minimally invasive coiling...

Have you had the neuropsychology testing? That will cover memory status and much other.

So hope some of this may help you pursue your SS Disability...if they have not been done so far.

I was blessed that SS put me thru the neuropsych testing and approved including back-pay. I was so brain warped I had not filed for some time...not near your time...

Blessings to you...

Lorraine Cataldo Lopez said:

June 26th will be 13 years for me. 2 ruptures and 1 clamped. I was denied 2 times already, working on my third appeal. I have hired an attorney from the start. I guess they don't look at us survivors as "disabled". Short Term memory is a very frustrating feeling. I gave up driving due to my focusing. I was actually aiming for the sidewalk. After that, I never drove again.

Yes. I have applied for Social Security disability and was approved. I did not have a rupture. In 2013, I had a right brain craniology repair. I still have a left side annie (2.5). Currently, I am having difficulty with short term memory.

Recently, I have spoken with my health professional about testing.

I find that I question my ability to perform certain task and this results in my taking longer to complete certain projects. It also seems that the more that I am beginning to move towards being normal, I notice these various issues listed above. I was told that after surgery we should establish a "New Norm". (I am pushing for my old norm) lol.

Good Luck with your quest to be approved for disability, however, I believe with letters from your doctors, and test results, that you should be fine.

Ernie and All...I have my SSD neuropsych test results ...will try to type this organized enough to stay in sequence...It is just a sample from my records. .

Test Results/Interpretation...Wechsler Memory Scale III (WMS-III)

Index Score Percentile

Immediate memory Borderline

auditory immediate Low average

visual immediate Borderline

General (Delayed) Memory Borderline

auditory delayed Low average

visual delayed Borderline

aud. recognition delayed Average

Working memory Average

Auditory Process Composite scores

Single Trial Learning 1

Learning slope 44

Retention 19

Retrieval 65

Trailmaking Tests:

Trails A; 31", 0 errors (75th - 90th percentile)

Trails B: 105", 3 errors (50th - 75th percentile)

This explains little to nothing (I cannot explain/describe a test...re: memory)...above is just an example... (did not type the #'s...I'd have to keep them in some order) There are more tests than those noted above which may be used...And, the results are also covered (adjusted?) by age/education...

The full report provides much for judgment/opinion of observance..."no obvious evidence of malingering behavior...,"irritable mood...she indicated several times she was not happy to have to go thru interview/testing... "...

Yes, I was cranky...driving in the morning commuter time to get to his office...etc...I was exhausted/stressed to start the interview/tests...

For those who have not had neuropsych testing, talk to your neurologist or start w/PCP/GP...if they have not initiated that help to you...I do not know if SSD will accept the test results directly... and you may have to take them again through SS. I just don't know...I know they would not accept/rely on the one that had been done on me almost a year and a half earlier...

In any event, the testing may be helpful to you in selecting recovery therapies.

Best wishes to all of you seeking disability.

patioplans said:

Ernie and All...I have my SSD neuropsych test results ...will try to type this organized enough to stay in sequence...It is just a sample from my records. .

Test Results/Interpretation...Wechsler Memory Scale III (WMS-III)

Index Score Percentile

Immediate memory Borderline

auditory immediate Low average

visual immediate Borderline

General (Delayed) Memory Borderline

auditory delayed Low average

visual delayed Borderline

aud. recognition delayed Average

Working memory Average

Auditory Process Composite scores

Single Trial Learning 1

Learning slope 44

Retention 19

Retrieval 65

Trailmaking Tests:

Trails A; 31", 0 errors (75th - 90th percentile)

Trails B: 105", 3 errors (50th - 75th percentile)

This explains little to nothing (I cannot explain/describe a test...re: memory)...above is just an example... (did not type the #'s...I'd have to keep them in some order) There are more tests than those noted above which may be used...And, the results are also covered (adjusted?) by age/education...

The full report provides much for judgment/opinion of observance..."no obvious evidence of malingering behavior...,"irritable mood...she indicated several times she was not happy to have to go thru interview/testing... "...

Yes, I was cranky...driving in the morning commuter time to get to his office...etc...I was exhausted/stressed to start the interview/tests...

For those who have not had neuropsych testing, talk to your neurologist or start w/PCP/GP...if they have not initiated that help to you...I do not know if SSD will accept the test results directly... and you may have to take them again through SS. I just don't know...I know they would not accept/rely on the one that had been done on me almost a year and a half earlier...

In any event, the testing may be helpful to you in selecting recovery therapies.

Best wishes to all of you seeking disability.

I have no intention of ever taking one of those again. They ended up saying how disabled or incompetent I was. Sure I got on disability without those tests.

In the movie 'Caddyshack'(1980). There is one scene in the movie with Chevy Chase and Michael O'Keefe. Chevy Chase is sort of like the club pro, and Michael O'Keefe is a golf caddy. At one point Michael O'Keefe asks Chevy Chase if ever had taken something called the 'Cooter Preference Test' in high school. Chevy Chase responds by saying that the test said he should be a firewatcher.

The test mentioned in the movie, is basically similar to taking a neuropsych test. They don't take into account the whole person. Instead, the test makes the person look like they are totally incompetent, as a justification for awarding the person disability. Instead of acknowledging the bonafide reason that the person needs to go on disability.