Going back to work after a rupture

I had a giant rupture and was in ICU for one month and a rehabilitation for another month. My one year anniversary is in November and still can’t return to work. First I can’t drive, I tire very easily, walk with a walker, and have constant vertigo. Currently I am trying to get disability but have been unsuccessful. I am worried for my families future but my husband does work. They have now found a 2 mm aneurysm stemming from my coiled/stinted rupture.

Slbz....ME TOO!!! I was also in the neuro ICU for a month, then to another hospital for rehab. I was home after 31 days. Six weeks later I became septic and spent another week in the neuro ICU...then a week in a nursing home for additional rehab.

Have you always had the vertigo, I mean, since the rupture? I am 20 months out and am just now beginning to have some real "balance" issues...not vertigo but dizziness.

I was denied disability initially....then I had an attorney and was approved. That was way back when I had had only about 5 or 6 surgeries. The attorney did not charge but took a percentage of the amount awarded to me...it's retroactive. I encourage you to find an attorney who will do the same for you. I'm am NOT an authority on the subject, but I cannot see how you can be denied. You are still experiencing substantial issues. I applied on my own at first, received the denial then went to an attorney.

I hope each day finds you a little better, even if it's only a tiny bit! Best of luck with the disability and best of health....stay strong.

Slbz said:

I had a giant rupture and was in ICU for one month and a rehabilitation for another month. My one year anniversary is in November and still can't return to work. First I can't drive, I tire very easily, walk with a walker, and have constant vertigo. Currently I am trying to get disability but have been unsuccessful. I am worried for my families future but my husband does work. They have now found a 2 mm aneurysm stemming from my coiled/stinted rupture.

It sounds like you need to arrange with your employer for a trial period, maybe part time until you see how you cope. I have not been allowed to drive since my rupture, so I could not continue with my previous job. I needed to sleep every afternoon for quite a long time, had concentration problems and depression. I have managed by starting a new business, doing proofreading and copy editing for authors, which I can do flexibly at home. I don't earn nearly as much as I used to, but it's better than nothing and I enjoy it. Sorry, this probably isn't helpful to you but, again, I'd discuss with your employer to see if you can phase back in gently.

My Aneurysm was icoiled n spring of 2012. I am so fortunate it was found before it ruptured. My husband insisted I go to E R. I had vague symptoms the E R Doc wondered if I had a brain tumor. She did multiple tests and found the Aneurysm.

I’m self Employed and was off Work for 6 weeks. However I didn’t return to what I consider normal for 18’months! I was anxious especially around bright lights and noise. (Ie Costco). I tired easily and didn’t have my usual energy. My thought, for all of us,is these are PTSD symptoms as well as needed time for the brain to heal & repair itself

I hope this is of some benefit. Life does get better with time! However this experience remains a trauma! I’m almost 76 & I’m eternally grateful to my loving husband for my remaining years.

My rupture was December 23 and coiling surgery December 28, and I went back to work April 13th, so about 3.5 months. It was really hard at first and sometimes it still is, but I am not old enough to retire ( I am 51) and teachers don't get disability (I have disability insurance though and it helped A LOT). It all depends on your annie and surgery and how you feel. But I understand the need to go back. I still get really tired and then have trouble concentrating and just need to sleep. I just had some neuro-psych testing to see if there is more I could be working on to recover. Hoping to get the results soon. I agree with an earlier post; "practice" working before you go back to a full time job by doing something every day. I went straight back to full time and I should have gone part time at first. Again, I am still having a hard time with the fatigue and some headaches, but my problems are mild compared to many of our fellow survivors. I am a SPED teacher so at least we get some good vacations...

My Neurosurgeon said 6 weeks for me should be enough time. My diagnosis was different than yours. My aneurysm did not rupture-However-I did have an "open" surgery and clip to repair mine. I am a nurse practitioner so my job does require me to be quick thinking/acting and on the move. I also am a single mom to an 8 year old little boy. My first day back will be Monday. I will let you know how it goes!! I do still have some memory issues, fatigue and difficulty sleeping. From what I have read it can take several months sometimes even a year to return to normal.

I will be returning to work on Monday-This will be the start of 6 weeks post clipping/crani. I still have headaches, memory issues, fatigue and difficulty sleeping. I agree it's really about adjusting to "new normal".

Eileen said:

I had my aneurysm clipped and took 7 weeks off. I was mentally ready to go back. However take it slow and go back part time at first. It's 3 years since my crainiotomy and i still have some sharp shooting pains in my head. Everyone is different. Just take it slow and good luck. Everyone here on this page is adjusting to a "new normal". Best of luck

Hello Kristen iam still feeling fatigue lacking sleep and no taste buds I’m tryin to stay stress free . I have realize I can’t yell get upset for I feel it so much . My life has change I have to take care of my self. and good luck Monday stay positive take it easy please your health comes first :slight_smile:

Keep us posted Kristen. Good luck everyone and Bless us all!

I went back to work six months after my rupture, but because my short term memory was affected by the rupture, I am now on SS disability because it is now at 40 percent. When I was tested when I first had my rupture it was at 80 percent, that was 10 years ago.

Hi Everyone,

It is interesting to read about everyone's experiences with returning or trying to return to work after a ruptured aneurysm. I felt very badly and was depressed for a long time because going back to work did not work out for me. I missed my co-workers so much. They were my second family. I also had to leave my job in winter (in the Northeast) so I was isolated most days. Thanks to all of you who shared your stories. It makes me feel better to know that I was not alone, both in wanting to return to work, and not being able to handle it. God bless.

Hi i went back to work after 6 months part time after my operation in june 2013. It was the best therapy i could have had. Then after 12 months back full time. I am a real estate agent. My rehab doctor said i was going back too early however i was ready and glad i did. However u must rest and not push yourself too hard, the brain takes time to heal. Good luck

I went back to work as a pastor 3 months after the bleed/craniotomy. It was incredibly difficult, but with a loving wife, family, and congregation, I was able to recover to full time work and finish my time at the church. Stay strong and trust in the Lord for the stength to carry you through!

Hi, My office allowed me to work from home after four months. Honestly, it was far too soon but I had to start at some point. I found the first year to be difficult and very tiring and had terrible headaches and dizziness. It really tests your stamina and will. Take it slow and ween yourself back to work. Take care of you. When your back your back.

I am a grade 1 teacher in Germany. I went back to work after 3 months but in Germany they have a model for returning to work after any major surgery that you start off back at work 25% of the time for the first week, 50% the next week 75% the 3rd week and then you reassess if you are ready for 100% yet. It was really great to be able to do that because for those first weeks back I was so tired even working just that amount of time. Is there a way you could do something similar where you work?

On a side note my doctor at rehab said something to think about. The people you work with will forget what happened to you quicker than you and might not be sympathetic enough so keep that in mind too when you are deciding if you are ready to go back or not.

I made the decision to go back 1 month after recovery because I was out of all available paid time. I did go back partial days (I still had several weeks of rehab to go through). I think it was too soon, I seemed to be a little confused and the fast paced activity caused a lot of stress. Your doctor is correct, you have to make the decision. I honestly don't know if I ever attained the level I was at before my surgery. You have to remember you have gone through a life changing situation. If possible try to go back on a 2 or 3 day work schedule until you feel comfortable. I know it's tough when you look 100% on the outside, people can't see the healing going on inside. It takes time.

Gm .... looking thru my emails this morning I found this message. I rarely respond however I decided to send you a friendly message back. I have been thru 1 massive surgery (2005) and 2 coilings (2013) The major fact is if You are ready. I made some flash cards for myself reminding me of medications and how to pronounce them. I also made mock rooms with my children to see if i was ready to go back into the medical field. I am a Medical Assistant , 40 years young and single with 4 children. I worked for family practice now I work for a retirement home at my OWN pace. No one should force you to make this decision. I know you do not want to loose your income but your life and healing is more important. I hope this helps you

Thank you!

Lili said:

Hi, My office allowed me to work from home after four months. Honestly, it was far too soon but I had to start at some point. I found the first year to be difficult and very tiring and had terrible headaches and dizziness. It really tests your stamina and will. Take it slow and ween yourself back to work. Take care of you. When your back your back.

oh my gosh it’s been 10 months for me and I still suffer really bad headaches everyday. Sometimes I don’t think I’m getting any better at all! I lost my dream job, which I had just gotten the day before the rupture. I’m telling you, I’m really tired of trying to be nice about all of it and strong and whatnot when honestly, I am just feel so f*cked, physically, mentally, financially and general quality of life. The emperor is wearing no clothes. Anyone else feel like that? Show of hands?

Lisa

You are so right, Dianne. We look ok on the outside, so people don't realize we are different on the inside. If I had a dollar for every time someone has said "You look fine now", or asked me what I do now that I am recovered, I would be a wealthy woman. I have quit trying to explain that I am a totally different person in how I think and feel since my brain rupture. My husband seems to be the only one who realizes how different I am. Hang in there, everyone. It does get better.