Forgetting

Does anyone have days where they just don't remember things that have happened or things they have done? The other day I looked out the window and there was snow every where. I really don't remember it snowing but, apparently, I even went out and cleaned off my car. This is not the first time something like this has happened.

1 Like

Imagine that it is like that all the time. My wife has short term memory.From an aneurysm almost 3 years ago. She Cannot remember things that happened 5 minutes ago. Hopefully this isn't the case. Every case is differant.

Oh yes, It happens more than I would like. The other day I was chatting up the waitress at my favorite coffee shop and I was waiting to pay. She told me I already did. I looked at a friend of mine and she said "Yes you did." I still don't remember it. Felt like a complete fool.

I'm struggling with the short-term memory loss, as well. And, the struggle is even more difficult when I remember how I USED to remember everything! Also, I find that some days are worse than others - depending on the amount of sleep I've gotten, if I've eaten well, etc. Would love to hear of suggestions, ways to cope with this, from others who have experienced these difficulties.

All you can do is accept it. My wife can't remember what she even use to be like. She was and is still a good person. Her old, long time memeries are there. She will get mixed up and get the old mixed with the new. Use to really screw me up, but I am use to it. She could ask me the same question 20 times in an hour. Just be patient with yourself. And don't let anyone. Mess with you on that. It is hard. But you can do it.

Yes, frequently. I also find my perception of time isn't like it used to be. Something I did yesterday may be remembered but I have no estimate of how long ago it was. Yesterday seems like last month/year etc.

Unfortunately, this is the case. Short term memory. I survived 2 ruptured and 1 clamped 12 yrs ago, 13 come June. I just turned 50. I refused to give in, but needless to say, the brain won. I just had a spat with hubby on Valentine's day. He said, "I told you what the weather is going to be like tomorrow." I said you did? Yeah, like 10 times! I said, well doesn't that make me feel special! The following day, I told him, You must really need to learn to have patience with me, this is only getting worse, so live with it!

First came panic attacks, three years ago. Then anxiety, depression, fear of driving or being driven. Lost my job in Aug. 2012. Funny this was, that morning, I threw my keys in my pocket book and said, I hate this F--ing drive. 30 miles each way. Only to get back in my car 20 mins later to drive it again...

Just be happy we and I mean WE are all here to live and be as happy as we can... AMEN TO THAT!!

Terrible memory problems and terrible vertigo!

I don't think anyone will ever understand how hard the recovery from an assault to your brain is!

BUT...I am alive and ONLY because of where I was, at my dentist's office, when I had the rupture. He thank God was smart enough to know I was in trouble. 28 days in a coma 6 weeks in a nursing home now home, I try to put a smile on my face every day cause I am alive. No one really gets how difficult this is but that is OK I am alive for a reason and that is what I keep my mind open to in every way every day!

Be strong!

Hello Shay,
I had a craniomoty to clip and then the obliteration of the anuerysm in July 2013. For me to remember I work on one task at a time and am in the moment before I even allow myself to think of another task. Once completed I will move onto something else. I keep a daily list of what I need to do and when it needs to be done. I cross it off when I am finished. I cannot multi task at all and become overwhelmed if I attempt it. When cleaning my condo I go room to room, finishing one room before I move on.this works for me. I have no idea as to what amount of time it will take me to drive to the store, so I use my gps. I get from point a to point b - just differently than I used to.

Yes, and to think I was complaining about the amount I was forgetting due to pre-menopause just a few short months ago, that was peanuts by comparison. Timeline of memories is also a big problem for me.

Sometimes it can be overwhelming, the acceptance of the “change”. Going from a successful business career to feeling so…useless, inadequate, little things like going to the store,having to be told the same things dozens of times, forgetting even the most basic things. Seeing the patience of my loved ones being pushed to the limits;however, we survived. We are here against all odds. I know that there is a heaven, I saw it. My purpose here has changed, but in some ways it it so much more important than before. It is to touch everyone with kindness, to treasure each sunrise or sunset in a way I couldn’t of imagined before the aneurysm. To make memories with my loved ones, to love life. Yes,we are “different”, and I wouldn’t change it. We are chosen survivors. Don’t worry or waste a day, as we know, life is precious.

I love this. Can I put this in my FB Timeline? People need to read this.

Connie said:

Sometimes it can be overwhelming, the acceptance of the "change". Going from a successful business career to feeling so...useless, inadequate, little things like going to the store,having to be told the same things dozens of times, forgetting even the most basic things. Seeing the patience of my loved ones being pushed to the limits;however, we survived. We are here against all odds. I know that there is a heaven, I saw it. My purpose here has changed, but in some ways it it so much more important than before. It is to touch everyone with kindness, to treasure each sunrise or sunset in a way I couldn't of imagined before the aneurysm. To make memories with my loved ones, to love life. Yes,we are "different", and I wouldn't change it. We are chosen survivors. Don't worry or waste a day, as we know, life is precious.

All the time. Five minutes ago I asked my husband, "What did I do today? Did I go out anywhere?" Sometimes he makes me think back through from when I got up, and then I quite often get it eventually. Or I'll say, "What did we have for dinner tonight?" even if it was me who cooked it.

Yup, sounds like me too. It seems to have gotten better over time. Really short term memory is still a problem. Yes, there are things that i dont remember from before the aneurysm, but maby i was not to remember them anyway. A sense of humor helps too. :wink:

Definitely I have trouble with short term memory, and as Tonya notes it is more difficult perhaps "to accept" when we used to pride ourselves on our memory. Friends, acquaintances and public folks are constantly telling me how I said something before, or did something before. I try to use notes and keep organized so it will improve, but fatigue, any stress, any worries seem to make it worse. I spend so much of my time checking to make sure I did something, or trying to find items I put away in a place I will remember. A lot of times I forget words, expressive aphasia I think they call it, it's just on the tip of my tongue, I can describe it, but the particular word I want just vanishes. I've been reassured by medical folks that it is a very different problem from dementia since it is a result of brain injury. Not sure how they can know, and I often wonder if dementia is more likely with short term memory difficulties. Thanks for sharing your reactions to these dilemmas during our recovery. I wonder if it will get better, it is slow progress, that is for sure. Thanks!

1 Like

Oh my goodness I cant believe this! Seems someone is always posting something here that happens to me that I have kept silent about, thinking its just me. YES…i can not multi task and my memory has alot of holes. I have a terrible time with figuring out what season, month or day it is sometimes and that makes me feel so lost. It dosnt always happen but when it does it feels awful.
I also get lost sometimes when driving to a store or just across town. Gps is a must and if its a jumbled day with a migraine or tired i just stay home. This doesnt happen all the time but
when it does happen I become very depressed and end up crying.

Its going on 17 years since my bleed and my short term is pretty much nonexistent . I can remember stuff from 30 to 35 years ago even things I did 15 years ago but it needs to be converted to my long term and then its fine .

I am a machinist and when I learn a new machine I have to take good notes and after I have ran it for a week or so its fine I don’t need the notes anymore . it needs to go to my long term memory . repetition does it for me . my family and friends get annoyed with it but oh well I have accepted my flaws after this has happened . no worries just write stuff down and make the best of the situation . it might get better it might not . its just the cards we were dealt .

I’m sorry this is happening to you. I experience the same thing daily. Sometimes I notice and my wife points it out sometimes. I had a sub arachnoid hemorrhage 3 years ago and have memory issues since. The doctors have tested everything and said my memory is normal but only you can tell the before and after. Sometimes I find it comical when I make my lunch two or three times not remembering I already put it on the table and sometimes just frustrating as all get out. I can’t multitask at all. There was a video on here about “flooding” and it describes most of the symptoms perfectly. Keep fighting the good fight. I have tried my best to think of the good and thankful I’m alive.
Jim

Sometimes I do. I try to write pretty much everything now. Almost like keeping a journal. One of the things I love so much about our smart phones.

Like today, I completely forgot I had an eye doctor apt, there the type that don't call to remind you of an appt or to confirm. So I deviced a way to remind me next time, alarm the day before to my calendar.

I had 4 brain surgeries with one rupture. Last one March 2011. I was doing very well with many friends, socialized, gym daily and worked for the finance dept. Now when someone tells me I am mean, happy, angry, lonely, interested in the same sex etc. I begin to believe it. I think daily showing I am not these things. I've moved on my own for a year, but continue thinking. I think of ways or things to say showing I am not these things. I was going CRAZY living at home with my 79 year old mom. My brother and 2 sisters also were driving me CRAZY. I thought I was free from them, yet I feel the same living alone. I started going to the gym and out to eat twice a month with ladies all retired. I'm am 55 also retired. Don't talk much because I mess up what I'm saying or go to another subject. Does this happen to others? I see a counselor and we laugh a lot on things I say or did. That was my old self.