Follow up scan

So I have my follow up
CTA on Tuesday and I’m nervous. This past year has been blessed and the recovery period has been a process. It’s funny how I got through that but these last three weeks anticipating my scan has been overwhelming…does anyone have experience they can share with their follow up scan? My aneurysm was clipped 8/7/17

My story: My aneurysm burst and was coiled in 2016. 3 months later I had a follow up CTA. I was barely back from the CTA in the recovery room when my radiologist came in to tell me it is just his initial review - but I will need to get surgery for a clipping ASAP. He literally scheduled an appointment to meet with the surgeon for the next day. It did scare me quite a bit because after my coiling I was assured that I would be fine and they would just monitor the aneurysm… maybe have surgery some time in the future. Upon review of my angiogram my doctor said something like “Wow I’ve actually never seen an aneurysm re establish itself that fast.” Terrifying! I had my surgery two weeks later and everything went very well. One year later I had another follow up CTA for the clipping, and was relieved when my radiologist came out of the procedure and said everything looks great! My only follow up at that point was with my surgeon so he could review it with me as well.

The CTA itself: Very easy! After signing in at the hospital, a good amount of time is spent in the prep area getting undressed, IV’s prepped, and going over all the usual hospital crap. Being in the room for the actual procedure doesn’t last too long… maybe 30 minutes. I was given fentanyl through my IV which helped me relax so it could have been longer than that. They inserted the catheter for my CTA in my hip/leg area, which did not hurt. After the procedure my doctor required I stay in recovery for at least 2 hours. If I remember correctly, this is because the insertion site for the CTA needs to close properly before you start moving about. I had this done twice and the first time had no pain afterwards even though they said I can expect some. The second time my doctor was instructing another on how to close up after removing the catheter and I did end up feeling some pain in the area for a week or two after. You are told to take it easy because of the opening that was made for the catheter, but that’s it!

I know what you mean about feeling nervous and overwhelmed with stuff like this even though you have gone through sometime as major as brain surgery! I think the truth is that it never really gets much easier. Nobody wants to have to go to all these follow up appointments. I guess I just try to focus on the fact that these appointments let me know where I stand which eliminates a lot of other anxieties I tend to build up.

I can totally relate. How did it go by the way? Any tips for the recovery period? Does it really require you to not do anything for a week?

I have my follow up Angiogram in 3 days and definitely have been dealing with a ton of anxiety leading up to it. It is funny indeed that we went through something as intense as brain surgery, and these follow ups make us anxious even months beforehand. I’m hoping it will be no big deal.

By the grace of God it went well! No new aneurysms and the clip is in place. I had a CTA not the CTA angiogram I had last year so it was an easy process…the angiogram does require a recovery period when I look back to remember. It is funny that you go through so much and it’s the little things that are so scary at times. I will keep you in my prayers for a healthy test! Let me know how it goes.

1 Like

Thank God for the good new btw…I’m happy for you. I had a busted aneurysm(Subdrual haematoma and Acute Mycotic Aneurysm)…Had the 1st surgery September 11 2018 to clear the blood which filled my head and also a second surgery was done 17 September 2018. I felt better after the second surgery and was put on two high intravenous antibiotics twice a day for 6weeks. After the 6week I had a follow up scan MRA and the results said the MRA findings consists of multiple intra-ceberal Mycotic aneurysm and suggested further evaluation for evidence of future ruptures.

My Neurosurgeon placed me on a lot of medication including seizure drug and pain medication and also placed me on twice in a month doctor’s visit.

I have mild to acute headaches most times…some days are a blessing while some days feels very awful.

My next doctor’s appointment is on Monday. Fingers crossed everything is okay

Prayers for you and your follow up scan. I know that feeling but God is Great and will help you through!

I’m praying really hard for my friend he has been scheduled every since being released from the hospital 3 months ago for his coiled ruptured aneurysm to be stuffed with more coil on Tuesday with all this Caronavirus stuff going on it makes me extra worried I’m praying hard and the heartache of the whole ordeal is coming back. Im trying so hard not to worry because I’m a witness of Gods Grace and mercy but it’s difficult. I haven’t read anything about a planned coil stuffing of aneurysm after 3 months I don’t like bugging him with every little detail involved with his aneurysm…, So Im asking you guys

Can’t you have a regular MRI?