5 months until my hospital follow-up

Does anyone else think that 5 months is a long time to wait before I have my first follow up appointment? I’m 9 weeks post-op & am starting to feel a bit more like ‘me’. There are many things I’d like to start doing again, but am afraid to until the consultant says its ok. However having to wait 5 months is really quite depressing :frowning: x

Claire, did you have open surgery/clip or the minimaly invasive coiling? F/up times vary...

Presumably, the hospital where you were at, provided a Patient Guide for the usual/general; and, if any variance in your scheduling, likely the doctor would have explained the reason. If a Guide was not provided to you, you may attempt to pursue on the hospital's website. If the Guide varies from your schedule, then call your doctor and ask why.

Best wishes,

Pat

Hi Claire,

Yeah, I can understand your questioning the 5 months..I'd imagine no less than a month or two, but every case is different And ofcourse depending on the surgery you had (Clipping, coils.stent, PED? )..I've undergone two clippings, 1 in 1998 and another in 2010, and in both cases the doctors had put me on 3 months of disability..yet when I was coiled in 2006 the doctors put me on a years disability...(with no followups!) both clippings though, I had followups at 10 days after (to remove the stitches/staples) then in both clippings 2 months afterward. If you're feeling better and stronger, then I see no reason not to call up the doctor and ask if either you can see him sooner instead of later , and bring with you a list of questions you may have regarding your recovery. Also maybe pin him down on things like exactly when will you have another angio/MRA (if you've been coiled/PED'd), as a lot of people get them at 6 month intervals, than a year, two years and so on. After my 1st clipping I didn't have to go back for anymore MRI's/CT/angio's. but after my clipping of 2010 I did have a CT (at about 6 weeks post clipping)...but that was it. Best of luckand don't over do it now that you're feeling well ! Janet

Hi Janet, thanks for your reply. I had the coiling procedure done (7th Jan) but thats all i know. When i was discharged one of the nurses said that i'd probably have another angio when i came back, however there is no mention of this on the follow-up letter ive received. I'm just really confused & feel that the after care is awful :o( I spoke to the consultants secretary who was going to speak to him with regards to bringing my appointment forward & get back to me, but that was almost 3 weeks ago, so i'm presuming they dont intend seeing me any sooner. There are loads of things i'd like to ask, but looks like i'll be waiting til August for any answers :o( Wont be over-doing things just yet as I'm so in the dark, i'm afraid too!

Could i just ask Janet, were your other aueruysms found during your first angio/MRA? I'm so afraid that there could be others lurking, but I dont know whether the scans looked at my whole head or just where my first one was! As you can probably tell i wasnt told much, I couldnt even tell you where my first aneurysm was other than somewhere in the back of my head! Kind regards, Claire -x-

Hi Pat, thanks for your reply. I had the coiling procedure done on 7th Jan & wasnt given any sort of guide when i was discharged, only verbally told to take things easy! Didnt think to look on the hospitals website, but have just had a look but unfortunatly there's nothing on there :o(

I spoke to the consultants secretary who was going to speak with him with regards to bringing my appoinmennt forward & she was going to get back to me, however, that was nearly 3 weeks ago so i'm presuming it isnt going to happen :o(

Anyway, thanks for replying, kind regards Claire -x-

Hey Claire,

to answer your question regarding my angio's, well the only time I had them done was after it was well known that I had (another) issue (aneurysm) , and I never had any followup angio's after my coiling procedure although I found out later that the protocal is to have followup angio's after the coiling is done, in order to ascertain that the coils are doing their job and not compacting, etc. and I beleive that when they do an angio, the entire head is scanned, not just the region where your annie is located. Hope this helps, Peace, Janet

Thanks for your reply Jo. I’m amazed at the after care you received & are still getting. I’m unable to speak direct to the consultant or surgeon & an email address for them is non existant. Like you i dont want to be a pest but Perhaps I’ll give their secretary another call. I do hope your headaches are nothing major, keep us informed. Love Claire -x-

Claire...try some of the other big hospitals...and pursue what they have under patient / visitors...

The one given to my family stated for ruptured aneurysms, there would be a basic film x-ray before discharge; then another in a month; then the follow-ups in three months, six months, and 12 and 18 (or 24..)... think it was less for those with non-ruptured...

How long were you in the hospital?

Warm regards

Pat

Thanks Janet, appreciate your reply. My local. Dr seems that any others wouldhave been found at the same time, but as she isnt a neurologist, she has said to ask at my follow up to be 100% sure.
Read your story & wow!!! your a walking miracle! :o) x

Hi Pat, really cant believe the level of aftercare that was provided for you. I was expecting some sort of xray upon discharge, just to check everything was as it should be with regards to the coils, but didn't :o( I was in probably the best hospital around here with regards to Neurosurgery & was there for 8 days. Just want to know that everything is healing as is should be. I took me nearly 7 weeks to sneeze i was afriad too.

I'll ring the secretary again next week. Thanks again Pat, Take Care, Claire -x-

Hi Claire...ohhhh, none of it was provided...it was just in the patient guide...yet available

Too long a story...I have asked numerous, recent, questions to our ask the doc...on how much, how frequent we should have angios/other radiography and other pieces/parts of the procedure(s)...

Do you have any restrictions on your diet, i.e. low-acid...any others?

Please definitely call your doc...

Pat

Hi pat, yes will definitely contact the dr & no, no dietary restrictions were mentioned either :frowning: will keep u updated xxx

Jo, we have not corresponded in ages...remember you are an attorney which would be in your records... which suggests your treatment would likely, and presumably have been handled much more openly and detailed than many many of us would ever receive, let alone imagine...

Pat