Follow-up angiograms

Hi there,

I'm wondering how often folks have had follow-up angiograms. I had one last January, six months after I had two brain coilings. Now I need another angiogram this coming January. I had thought that I'd only need MRI's. What have others had as follow up? Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Judi

Hi Judi...seems everyone is different...I had angiogram 6 months and 18 months and now the wanted again last June( I didn't go for that angiogram because we were in the middle of a move)...the new surgeon is requiring an MRA...~ Colleen

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for responding to my message. I know that an angiogram probably gives the best "picture" of how things are going, but I don't look forward to the procedure. Mostly, I try to have a daily practice of gratitude and acceptance, a simple though not easy way to live! Wishing you well in your new locale and with the MRA.

Judi

Hi Judi. I had one a year after my clipping surgery and my surgeon said I needed to come back in 3 years.

Thanks for following up, Gigi! I hope all is well post-surgery.

Judi

The anticipation of the angiogram is worse then the actual procedure...they do feel it is the "gold standard"...but I am at the point I have had 5 and that has been enough radiation for now...Keep us posted .. ~ Colleen

I just had my first angiogram 9 months out. Fortunately, they said my coiling looked great and I should follow up in one year for an MRI. I was a little stressed about the angio. They said I would need to be awake so they could take pictures while I was instructed to hold my breath. I don't remember a thing about the surgery. I remember them wheeling me into the OR and then I woke up in the recovery room.

Shay, thanks for letting me know about your situation. I'd prefer to have MRI as I had a follow-up angiogram at 6 months out. Oh, well. Thanking my lucky stars for each day. Judi

Hello, From what I was told by my Surgeon they are as follows: every 6 months, then once a year, after that once every two years. But this depends on the patient and his/her recovery. If you should have problems, call your doctor. I am 2 1/2 years out from PED implant and in Jan.2015 will be going for my yearly check up. Everything depends on the doctor and patient. I have had Mri's, Mra"s, Ct's with 3d imaging and normal ct's. I have had them all. It depends on what your Doctor needs to know. I hope that this will give you an idea on what to expect. Also have had Angio's as well. Marjorie

I had one follow-up angiogram immediately after surgery. I woke up as they were doing it, and they said “oh, have you had one of these before?” I said yes, and promptly went back to sleep. I’ve had no other angiograms or MRIs. My surgeon said not to have anymore MRIs, since the purity of the aneurysm clips was in doubt. The only tests I’ve had are CT scans.

David Andrus

I dislike the angiogram because it is invasive and expensive. I can't swim and do any active pursuits for a week or two afterwards. I am 2 1/2 years out and was told I would need one yearly. I'm 61 which is possibly why.

I've made many changes to my work and lifestyle, so the risk is not the same. My sister had one in her 30's and she has had no issues in 30 years.

If this one is clear, then I am done with yearly Angiograms. The irradiation can't be healthy. Wish there was a less costly and invasive check up.

Hi!!
My doctor has told me that it depends on the location of the aneurysm and the quality of pictures. They get more details from the angiogram. I hate angiograms as they make me extremely ill for two days. After more than 15 angios we finally figured out that it was the Fentanyl and then my back would go into spasms while trying to lay flat for 6 hrs. Now it is only muscle relaxers for me prior to the procedure. This has been a 7 year journey for me. My doctor has told me the next one is a MRI in 2 years. Keeping my fingers crossed on that!!! You know it is bad when the nurses recognize you as the “hurler” when you go in for the procedure. Best of luck!!!

Marjorie, I appreciate your time in replying to my query. Most of all, I appreciate your thoughtfulness and care. I wish you well. Judi

Hi David,

Thank you for your feedback. From the responses, it is clear to me that it is dependent on situation and doctor. I appreciate your input and wish you all the best.

We are all brave souls!

Judi

Hi Susan, I appreciate the time you took to respond to my query. I'm 62 and so perhaps age is a factor. I don't like angiograms for the same reasons as you, and also because I was uncomfortable for a week afterward. Plus, I don't want all that radiation. Alas, it is what it is. I'm very thankful to be alive and doing well, one day at a time. Judi

Hi Chris (aka "hurler"!),

It seems that I have plenty of company in terms of not liking the angiograms. You've surely had more than your fair share! My journey has only been for a year and a half and I'm hoping for many years to come. For now, appreciating each day. Thank you for responding to my question. All the responses help me feel not so all alone.

Judi

Hi, I had my annie three years ago... Three day afters I had an angiogram and my artery was ruptured..and needed a stent.. Now I get a CT Scan ordered by surgeon every year...So far so good.. Now I just had and he said I'm good for another one in three years... I will continue to get a CT Scan every year as advised by my primary... What to keep on top of things... You can also have an MRI. Depends on your surgeon...

Good luck.

Christine

I am a patient at Johns Hopkins. I had an angiogram for unruptured basilar aneurism with two stents at 6 months, 1 year, and 18 months. Then an MRA (MRI with dye) at 2 years. Now told to come back in 3 years. Hope this is helpful. Good luck

Dear Judy,

Thank you for your response. I have to admit that I’ve often wondered about this very thing. Your question to the family has helped clarify the issue for me, and to tell me how very lucky I am. I guess all those prayers helped. I will keep you in my prayers. />

David Andrus

I had 1 after 6 months and then 2 more each year (so a total of 3 after my coiling). My original surgeon said that after that I would probably be OK with MRA after 5 years and then maybe nothing after that. Unfortunately he relocated and the new doctor assigned to me wanted another angiogram after an MRI (because he said the quality was not good).... I was very hesitant and my sister (an RN) suggested that I contact my original surgeon. He way very helpful and looked at my MRA and said it was very clear and everything looked fine to him. He contacted the new doctor and he backed off of the angiogram.

Now I have yet another doctor whom I have yet to meet.... my next MRA is scheduled in October. it will be interesting as to what he has to say :-)