Family history of aneurysms... is an MRA without contrast sufficient to rule one out?

Hello BAF ,

I have been able to see pulsing vessels in my eyes for five years, ever since I was diagnosed with high blood pressure at the age of 14. Heart disease runs in my father's side of the family (in fact, he suffered a stroke at 46), and aneurysms run on mother's side (two of her cousins, and two of her sisters have been diagnosed with brain aneurysms). I am fearful that I too have an undiagnosed aneurysm which, in my case, is causing visual symptoms.

More recently I've been feeling dizzy after walking up stairs, or exerting myself in general. The pulsing in my eyes also worsens with exertion, which I find very distressing. I sometimes suffer pressure headaches as well (above my palate and under the top of my head). Furthermore, I just found out about the family history of aneurysms on my mother's side and I am now fearful.

I had an MRA without contrast earlier this year, which was negative. My question is whether or not I should be reassured. The pulsing is a very scary symptom, although I've been told it's not traditionally associated with aneurysms. I have been very aware of my health ever since my father had a stroke (I was living with him alone) and shortly thereafter when I was diagnosed with hypertension. That said, I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to things like this.

I'm not sure if I should be on these forums as I've never been diagnosed; I hope you'll excuse my ignorance. You seem like a great group of supportive people.

Thanks,
-Dylan

In my case...I had to CT in ER...and my Brain aneurysm's were never seen...when finally I had MRA with contrast and CT with contrast they were found and seen...not sure I answered your question...but your family history and symptoms entails you to some good testing...~ Colleen

I will tell you what my surgeon tells me ...If I get a bad headache get to the hospital...better safe .... and just know you can worry yourself sick... life is to short to worry about things for no reason ...that alone cans be bad to your health..... there are to many wonderful things around each of us to enjoy ..you cant do that if you are always making yourself sick thinking to much

My aneurysm was seen on MRA but not MRI, so there is quite a difference. But you say MRA without contrast…I thought it was the A part of MRA that means it does use contrast…? Anyway, Victoria is right that worry can make you sick. It’s caused me a lot of dizziness…that is not uncommon. But, I do think that with the family history you should expect the best test they can give you. Good luck!

Hi Dylan,

My first aneurysm was NOT detected at all by an CT, however an MRA with contrast showed my rather large aneurysm in all its glory. Angiogram with contrast is "thee test", all in all. Peace, Janet