Driving problems

I've read a few older stories of people having problems with their driving and it makes me feel like I'm not alone but I seem to be having trouble explaining this to my family.

I suffered from anxiety attacks about 25 yrs ago, they went away but since my clipping last year I had one while driving and am now terrified of driving someplace new and far away.

I'm fine driving around in my neighborhood, unless I'm really, really tired but if I drive someplace new I have trouble concentrating. Sometimes I feel like I am just going to drive out of my lane for no reason or just run into the car in front of me for no reason in particular. It sounds weird and I can't explain this to anyone, they look at me like I'm crazy.

I have a funeral to go to tomorrow and it's in an area that I'm not familiar with and about an hour away. I would have to drive myself as no one is close enough to give me a ride and I'm scared to drive that far. Plus I'm afraid that if I panic there's no one to come get me....which is what happened with my first panic attack. My family is very unsympathetic and think I'm making excuses which is so not the case.

I was always so proud of how well I did after my surgery, this is the only time I'm feeling frustrated :(

I am reading this with tears in my eyes Valerie...You know I have the same problem...without going into this long story, I will tell you a bit...Around 10 years ago I had an anxiety attack while driving and I was a person who "me drove everywhere, I loved to drive"...anyways, when this happened 10 years ago...it was awful...I was driving and truly thought I was having a heart attack and told at ER it was a "panic attack"...it took me about 3 years to get back to driving...but only local...and then got more and more daring and it seemed I was almost back to the way I was with driving...well then in 2010...I was driving and out of the blue the entire thing happened again...and that was the worse, because my Bp when sky high and my pulse was up so high...but I threw it off to being a panic attack and I was so disappointed this had happened...well about 1 week later ... I had the worse headache of my life...and that is when everything started and my aneurysm was found...Hubby and I now link all of my driving problems to the Brain aneurysm...maybe it started the 10 years prior...whatever ... now I am totally not able to drive...I get in the car and I go a few blocks and pull over and sit and shake...I am not telling you this to be scared...but you aren't alone...I am such a supportive husband over my predicament and good friends that help out, however, I too have a family that doesn't really get it ...

If you don't feel comfortable...don't go to the funeral Valerie...either find someone who could take you...or send something to let the person's know you care...If I figure a way to overcome all of this, I will definitely pass it on to you...~ Thanks for sharing this...made me feel so less alone...~ Colleen

Hello Valerie

I understand. I have cognitive problems which include problems with multitasking and keeping my attention on things as well as tiring if I concentrate for long. It makes driving difficult. If I look at something else e.g. scenery, a parked car, a pedestrian etc, as I drive I now find I am likely to move out of my lane. I've stopped listening to the radio or music as if I lose concentration I lose direction or get too close to something in front. It is a little scary, but I've had no incidents. I avoid long drives on my own, though am much better on motorways than in cities or windy country roads. Thankfully I don't get panic attacks. I suggest you take extra time so you can stop and rest if the concentration gets too hard. Draw a map, write instructions or use a satnav to help get you there. Maybe avoid chatting to people for long afterwards so you don't get tired out and have a rest somewhere quiet before starting the drive home. If you can persuade someone to accompany you that would be good. When going on long journeys alone I now often try to take the train, though I realize that might be harder for you in the USA.

I hope and pray your trip goes well.

Judith

Thank you all for your responses! I was able to meet a family member at a closer location and drive with them. I was so glad that I was able to make it to the funeral.

I think the hardest thing for me after surgery is having people think that just because you don't SEE that there's anything wrong with me, that doesn't mean that I'm done healing. No one knows what you're going thru mentally except other survivors. I am just so glad for this support group, it has meant so much for me to have this support.

Love and best wishes to all of you!!