Dr. Philip Meyers - NY Presbyterian / Columbia University

Hello all. I just found this site and I am so glad. I identify so much with so many of you. My question today is . . does anyone have experience with Dr. Philip Meyers at NY Presbyterian? I have an appointment with him on April 16th. I'm struggling with a decision to either have a pipeline embolization or monitoring. I'm hoping Dr. Meyers can help. I had an emergency coiling done when an aneurysm ruptured in Disneyworld, of all places. The doctors there at the Orlando hospital saved my life and I am grateful every day. The neurosurgeon and IR there observed the other unruptured aneurysm and said it was very small with a wide neck and could be treated very conservatively by monitoring. However, the neurosurgeon I transferred to here when I returned to New Jersey after a long stay in the hospital, performed an angiogram, said although it is small and hasn't changed since the first angiogram in November, there is a 5% chance of rupture and recommends the pipeline. I am getting the second opinion from Dr. Meyers to help me decide. Very anxious time. Thanks for any help you can give.

Best,
Margaret

Margaret, I had rupture and then developed another aneurysm behind the first, it was coiled. I know this can be a very anxious time. Remember to breathe and know that you are doing everything you can to be well informed. I’m here in NC so can’t help you on Dr. Meyers. Hopefully the gang will chime in:)

Hello Margaret
I had surgery performed by a team from Columbia Presbyterian here in New Jersey. Columbia Presbyterian is affiliated with Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, NJ. Drs. Gaeton Moise, Dorothea Altschul and from New York, Dr E. Sander Connelly, who is also on the Brain Annuerysm Foundations medical advisory board. These surgeons are amongst the best in the world. They are all board certified and up to date with all new procedures. Just take your questions on a pad and bring a relative or friend - also with a pad. I am blessed to have had them. Please check Columbia Presbyterian Neurosurgeons on the web. Wishing you nothing but the best!!!
Penny
Penny

Margaret - I live in Mahwah, NJ too

Margaret,

You will love love love him !

He was my surgeon almost 7 years ago. I had a SAH and he performed a coiling procedure on me.

I owe him my life today.

Don't make me cry :)

You are in very good hands with Dr. Meyers.

Mary

Hi Margaret....

After being diagnosed with a 12mm aneurysm, I was recommended to see Dr. Meyers. As we all know, everyones experiences are different but he was my first contact at Columbia Pres. explained everything thoroughly to me, gave me ALL my options, performed an angiogram on me 1 week after our meeting then recommended the surgeon, Dr. Solomon, who ultimately performed my craniotomy/clipping. Dr. Meyers also performed another angiogram on me while I was in having my clipping. He even came out after while I was still being 'closed up' and saw my husband to tell him all was great and I should be done in about an hour. Not sure if that is normal but put my husband at ease while waiting.

I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Meyers and his expertise. I truly believe I made it through my ordeal smoothly because Dr. Meyers was the face of Col. Pres for me.

March 19th was 1 year since my clipping. My aneurysm was quite large so it all went fast for me. I was diagnosed on 3/3/2014, met Dr. Meyers on 3/7, angiogram on 3/14, craniotomy on 3/19.

I hope this helps.

P.S. The only downfall to visiting the hospital is parking :).. Luckily I live in the city and was able to take the subway most times but during pre-stuff the parking lot is hectic...

Any other questions you can email me, would be glad to answer any!!

GOOD LUCK

Sheryl

Hi Margaret, I never met Dr. Meyers, but I had a craniotomy with clipping for a ruptured aneurysm performed by Dr. Solomon at what was then Columbia Presbyterian. They are tops in their field. You are in good hands and in good company. My surgery was 28 years ago this July, I owe my life to the team of doctors and other health professionals at NYA Presbyterian.
Best of luck. Kerry’s

Margaret, Sander Connolly was my neurosurgeon, he is my Hero, I chose him because of his expertise in handling only aneurysm's. Now, three years later, even though I have relocated to Tampa, I still go back to NY every year for my annual with Sander Connolly. Anyway, during my treatment I have had two angiograms and each time Dr. Connolly had Dr. Meyers do the angio. Each time Dr. Meyers talked me through the entire procedure and let me know exactly what was happening and what he was seeing. Afterwards someone has to keep pressure on the puncture site for about 20-30 minutes, I expected a nurse to do this. It was Dr. Meyers who stayed with me and kept pressure on the site the entire time and talked to me afterwards. Dr. Meyers was great (I think the whole Neuro team at Columbia Presbyterian are fantastic). Needless to say you are in good hands (yes, I am a bit partial towards them :)) Good luck! Carol

Thank you so much Moltroub. Yes, I am doing everything I can to be well informed. Now, if I can only remember to breathe!!

Moltroub said:

Margaret, I had rupture and then developed another aneurysm behind the first, it was coiled. I know this can be a very anxious time. Remember to breathe and know that you are doing everything you can to be well informed. I'm here in NC so can't help you on Dr. Meyers. Hopefully the gang will chime in:)

Hello Penny. Thank you for your responding. I'm so glad you had a positive experience there. I know some of the Columbia team works out of Valley, but Dr. Meyers does not, I'm told, so I'm going into NY. It's not a bad trip from Mahwah, depending on the time of day, except for the parking. I believe I'm going in the right direction, so it will be worth it, God willing. I will bring my pad, and my husband with his pad. Thank you, Margaret

Penny said:

Hello Margaret
I had surgery performed by a team from Columbia Presbyterian here in New Jersey. Columbia Presbyterian is affiliated with Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, NJ. Drs. Gaeton Moise, Dorothea Altschul and from New York, Dr E. Sander Connelly, who is also on the Brain Annuerysm Foundations medical advisory board. These surgeons are amongst the best in the world. They are all board certified and up to date with all new procedures. Just take your questions on a pad and bring a relative or friend - also with a pad. I am blessed to have had them. Please check Columbia Presbyterian Neurosurgeons on the web. Wishing you nothing but the best!!!!!!
Penny
Penny

Your words are music to my ears, Mary. Thank you so much for responding.

Margaret

Mary said:

Margaret,

You will love love love him !

He was my surgeon almost 7 years ago. I had a SAH and he performed a coiling procedure on me.

I owe him my life today.

Don't make me cry :)

You are in very good hands with Dr. Meyers.

Mary

Margaret - I live in Mahwah, NJ

Thank you for responding Sheryl. I'm so glad your surgery was successful. I'm thrilled to be seeing so many positive comments about Dr. Meyers. It's a scary time for me, and your support is incredibly helpful.

Margaret

SherZoe said:

Hi Margaret....

After being diagnosed with a 12mm aneurysm, I was recommended to see Dr. Meyers. As we all know, everyones experiences are different but he was my first contact at Columbia Pres. explained everything thoroughly to me, gave me ALL my options, performed an angiogram on me 1 week after our meeting then recommended the surgeon, Dr. Solomon, who ultimately performed my craniotomy/clipping. Dr. Meyers also performed another angiogram on me while I was in having my clipping. He even came out after while I was still being 'closed up' and saw my husband to tell him all was great and I should be done in about an hour. Not sure if that is normal but put my husband at ease while waiting.

I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Meyers and his expertise. I truly believe I made it through my ordeal smoothly because Dr. Meyers was the face of Col. Pres for me.

March 19th was 1 year since my clipping. My aneurysm was quite large so it all went fast for me. I was diagnosed on 3/3/2014, met Dr. Meyers on 3/7, angiogram on 3/14, craniotomy on 3/19.

I hope this helps.

P.S. The only downfall to visiting the hospital is parking :).. Luckily I live in the city and was able to take the subway most times but during pre-stuff the parking lot is hectic...

Any other questions you can email me, would be glad to answer any!!

GOOD LUCK

Sheryl

28 years ago - wow! Now there is a testimonial, Kerry. I've also heard of Dr. Solomon. Congratulations on the success of your surgery. More and more I think I've made the right decision consulting with the Columbia team. Thank you for responding.

Margaret

Kerry A. Gassert said:

Hi Margaret, I never met Dr. Meyers, but I had a craniotomy with clipping for a ruptured aneurysm performed by Dr. Solomon at what was then Columbia Presbyterian. They are tops in their field. You are in good hands and in good company. My surgery was 28 years ago this July, I owe my life to the team of doctors and other health professionals at NYA Presbyterian.
Best of luck. Kerry's

Hello Carol. Thank you for taking the time to respond, and for letting me know your experience with Dr. Meyers. I'm particularly happy to hear you say that he talked to you through the angiogram and let you know what was going on. That is exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm glad you are doing so well, Carol. Thank you again,

Margaret

Carol said:

Margaret, Sander Connolly was my neurosurgeon, he is my Hero, I chose him because of his expertise in handling only aneurysm's. Now, three years later, even though I have relocated to Tampa, I still go back to NY every year for my annual with Sander Connolly. Anyway, during my treatment I have had two angiograms and each time Dr. Connolly had Dr. Meyers do the angio. Each time Dr. Meyers talked me through the entire procedure and let me know exactly what was happening and what he was seeing. Afterwards someone has to keep pressure on the puncture site for about 20-30 minutes, I expected a nurse to do this. It was Dr. Meyers who stayed with me and kept pressure on the site the entire time and talked to me afterwards. Dr. Meyers was great (I think the whole Neuro team at Columbia Presbyterian are fantastic). Needless to say you are in good hands (yes, I am a bit partial towards them :)) Good luck! Carol

Well, hello fellow Bergen County-ite. It's a nice place to raise your children. We raised our three daughters in Ramsey and then moved to a smaller home in Mahwah when my husband retired.

Penny said:

Margaret - I live in Mahwah, NJ

Margaret - Mahwah is a nice place to live. So unusual to learn of someone in same town who had similar surgery and will now be going to the best!!! My next scan will be in August to keep tabs on second anneurysm. Be well!!! Best to you!!
Penny