Doctor recommendations for coiling in NYC area

Hi

I was recently diagnosed with a 8mm unruptured aneurysm, (no symptoms) 3 doctors recommended I have it coiled. Does anyone have any info about who might be the best to perform the procedure. I live in New York City. Thanks for your help

Joanne

Dr. Y. Pierre Gobin @ NY Presbyterian Hospital–Weill Cornell Medical College.
212-■■■■■■■■

Dr. Gobin performed the coiling procedure on my two brain aneurysms on 5/24/2010. I’ve been doing well…I am back at work…headaches and tiredness are my only issues right now. He is excellent…google him, but don’t wait too long to make a decision.

Thanks for your help. I heard about him. I actually decided to use his associate Dr. Riina. My procedure is scheduled for 7/6. It sounds like you are doing well in such a short period of time. Wishing you healing & good health.

Joanne

Hi
Joanne as u know i’m trying to get an apt with your dr. I’m going to give yours a call as well Tracy…Jo I hope your feeling good and have the best out come…xoxo and Tracy you sound great I hope you feel good …

Ro

Hi Roseanne,
I want to wish you good luck, everything will be fine. I had my coiling done by Dr. Philip Meyers, Columbia/NY Presbyterian, he was great, personable and easy to reach with questions, etc., before and after. I have two aneursyms and had the larger one 7mm( basilar berry type aneurysm but with a wide neck) coiled on 12.09. I also posted under Vertigo group, my vertigo found the aneursym, six months later I am finally vertigo free, I am on migraine medicine, Amitryptiline - I was getting silent migraines (no headache just aura) before and after surgery, head tingling and ocular migraines - zigzagging that distorts your vision. I had my six month MRA and everything is good, we will monitor the other smaller one behind right eye. I noticed you had several posts on the other group, the one test the Dr. needed to do before surgery to get more information on the aneurysm was a Cerebal Angiogram, this gives the Dr. more detail on shape, location, type, etc., just a suggestion if you havent had it done already it maybe something to mention to your Doctor. Best Wishes

roseanne petrozzino said:

Hi
Joanne as u know i’m trying to get an apt with your dr. I’m going to give yours a call as well Tracy…Jo I hope your feeling good and have the best out come…xoxo and Tracy you sound great I hope you feel good …

Ro

Hi Briege,
I have a 5mm behing the left eye. I also seen Dr. Meyers. He is a great person but did not recommend which way to go. He said it depends if I can live with monitoring it. Did he happen to mention or did you ask him or no anything about the ONYX procedure? He did recommend an angio to see what method i would be a candidate for as far as coiling or craniotomy. It was less than 3 weeks ago and I haven’t decided what to do yet. I am wondering if you know if the angio is done now and I do not have the surgery until the 6 months are up if it will have to be repeated? I would imagine it would to get a better picture which is why I haven’t done the angio yet because I don’t know if I am going to do the surgery. Thanks and I am glad you are doing well. Mary

Hi Mary, I believe Dr. Meyers is wonderful, very personable and easy to reach with questions. Dr. Meyers leaves it to the patient to decide but to be honest I felt like I had a ticking time bomb in my head and I couldn’t live with the stress of it so I decided the day after speakng with Dr. Meyers. I had an Angiogram two weeks after my MRA showed only of the aneursysms, the Angiogram actually picked up another one that was not visible on the MRA. The angio helped Dr. Meyers get a better picture, size, location, etc. of the aneursyms and that will decide which way to operate, mine was suitable for coiling. As far as I know, Dr. Meyers only does the coiling surgery not the craniotomy. I am not familiar with the ONYX procedure. I believe another angiogram was done as part of surgery, I had a catherer inserted in both legs one for the stent and one for the coil. The only problem I had with the Angiogram is that you have to lie flat on your back for at least six hours afterwards, which will leave you with a sore back so a little advice is take extra strength Tylenol. Everybody is different but the Angiogram will give you more information. Hope that helps. If you have more questions, Dr. Meyers makes himself available and I am sure he will meet with you again or at least talk to you on the phone. Nurse Silverberg is very helpful as well. Good luck with everything. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi Briege, Thanks for reply. How small or large was the 2nd annie that was not seen on the original MRA? Did they treat that one also. I will call him with all of my questions. Have a great day and continued good health. Mary

Hi Mary, the second one they found is 2 mm and behind the right eye, it is being monitored, I had a 6mt follow up MRA and there was no change in size so the next follow up will be in a year. If you want you can certainly mention my name to Dr. Meyers when you speak to him. I would suggest you get the angiogram done just for peace of mind. Keep me posted Mary.

yes it is had one…