Cerebral angio

Does anyone know the specific difference between a CT angio and a cerebral angio? I know the procedures are different, but both include dye... so why is the cerebral angio so necessary?? Thanks!

Sunrise,

At CT Angiography is a CT Scan of your head with a contrast dye and the Cerebral Angiogram is where they go into the artery through the groin to access the arteries in the brain to get better images of the arteries with a camera and contrast dye directed to certain areas and get better images of aneurysm and better measurements.

Carol

hi Carol,

but both use dye...so they're both looking at the same thing?? still confused.

also, how do you know if you are having a leak versus a rupture??

finally, many people say they've had headaches post coiling...is that common??

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It seems to be very common no matter what the treatment is to have headaches. They are both looking at the same thing, but the cerebral angiogram is able to see so much more and definitely more accurately without things being hidden. It is something that every neurosurgeon will want done before making decisions on which treatment options will be best.

okay, thanks.

Oh - and as for leak versus rupture - I don't really have the answers for that - I was very fortunate and didn't have either of those. But they can tell from MRI or MRA and I am not sure if angiogram shows that.

thanks, you've been great!!

i just posted another question... what would you do? 9 years ago they found a 2mm annie and monitored. it's now a 4 mm annie.... it took 9 years to grow 2 mm! i have 2 choices: cerebral angio w/possible coiling or continue to monitor. since it's small, i'd like to continue to monitor!!!! many people sound like they get headaches, etc. after these procedures! Currently, i have few symptoms but occasionally will get some numbing, blurred vision... or since i've only noticed these symptoms since it grew... I'M GOING NUTS!

thansk again!!

Cerebral angio is the gold standard for diagnosis..however with advanced CT angio the need for actual angiogram( which is more invasive than CTA) has decreased.

Growing aneurysm with some symptoms should be treated is my understanding....per my neurosurgeon 4-5 mm aneurysms are most likely to rupture.

thanks.

i just didn't notice symptoms until they told me it grew! I now think I'm analyzing everything!!

Sunrise...

You may want to view Qs on "ask the doc"...from 02/19/13 forward...begins w/radiation data from the Merck Manual...dye is included in the following questions...

There is an upcoming webinar 05/09/13...on radiation in the f/up angios... I do not know if it includes the procedure...

You may want to view this webinar...to add any Qs you have for your neurosurgeon /neurointerventionalist...

There is a Group for Pipeline...in case your docs have, or have not, addressed that possibility...a newer device.

And, you can browse the various terms...

The angios, as I understand it, has the dye injection(s) (2 or 4?) in the diagnostic procedure; and, the injections for apx each coil implanted...Another question for your doctors?

You may also want to ask about the femoral artery closure device they may use...

There are many of us w/longer term open surgery/clip (still used today) to the minimally invasive coiling... and, the newer Pipeline (PED)...All that statement provides is that all three have been used for us here.

Prayers any of this may help you set up questions for your doctors...to guide you in your decision... what is right for you, for your comfort level.

Pat

Ashhan...is that for diagnostic or for the procedural (therapeutic) treatment?

Thanks,

Pat

Thanks Pat.
Two different doctors mentioned both procedures… coil and pipeline. Pipeline is used for larger annies though… so I’d probably do coil…
Thanks again for the info.

I read and you got some great information here...often I google things and look under Mayo clinic...they will give you answers to many questions in layman's terms...Wishing you a nice day ~ Colleen

Cerebral angiogram is diagnostic ...coiling involves a similar procedure...going through a vein in the groin...

Thx!!!

Ashhan...thank you for this...

When the contrast dye is used in the diagnostic angio (one that has not ruptured) ...is the dye administration the same as in CTA / MRA and, not in the groin?

May be another question for me for the upcoming Webinar 05/09...

and, because it makes me think of the groin artery closure devices, too...

Thanks, again,

Pat

thanks for this info...I was under the impression Pipeline was geared at being used early on...to avoid the monitoring system for growth...but could also be used on larger aneurysms vs coiling..

that’s interesting… maybe that is the case. I will ask that question next time. If it avoids any follow-up, it could be a good idea!!
At this point, statistically, I figure there is a 1% risk of rupture because of size… there is a 5% risk of surgery. For now, I’m hanging on and just doing the CTA with the hope that it stay a 4mm!!
Thanks again!!!

BTW 1% risk is cummulative.....5% in 5 years ...sort of...

Sunrise,

All treatments...open surg/clip, coils with or w/o stents, and the new Pipelines have follow-ups...to be sure everything has healed right, stayed in place right, etc etc ...

My comment was on the monitoring...like you have had...for the decision...all pre-treatment...the follow-ups are post-treatment...

There is a Group "Pipeline"...to connect with for personal experiences, opinions, results...it is a fairly new process... the FDA # of Pipeline is P100018.

You can pull up info on the regular stents by # H020002 which brings up all FDA annual approvals and there is a category list of products w/each year...

Sunrise, I am not attempting to direct your personal decision...just adding more questions for you to potentially ask your doctors...You have your first personal decision for which questions you may, or may not, want to ask your doctors...

Prayers for your right decisions, for your best comfort level in your decisions...

Pat