Question about angiogram

hi, I was wondering how the surgeon knows that the catheter is going in the right direction? Does he/she just know from practice and experience? Or is an x-ray used? If so, what type of x-ray and how does that work? What part of the body is it directed at?

Thanks so much!

As far as I know, they use xrays in some way to guide them, not sure what type though. I wasn't really paying that much attention (was trying not to) But they dont take pictures until they inject the dye. I think the neuroradiologist was watching a screen while he was doing it, but the xray tech was also trying to distract me from what was going on as well lol.

Joy, I have been doing a lot of research on that...

There are conventional and fluoroscopic (possibly more) processes....when an angio is being done, the contrast dye (agents, material, media, medium) is used to see inside the arteries...and, also gives the MDs the ability to "block off" the other parts of the brain...for specific imaging of the arteries.

The fluoroscopy appears (from research and my limited interpretation) is what is called DSA (digital subtraction angiography)...separating (identifying) it from conventional imaging...

Comments from others here, may at least give you some initial words to ask your doctors...

Thanks. Do you assume the radiation dose used to guide the catheter up the artery is low? Lower than what is used to take pictures? Does this mean part of the abdomen and chest is radiated a certain amount with all angios? I was never told that. I assumed they guided the catheter blindly until reaching the area of investigation.

I've never really questioned it joy. By the time I got out of hospital from my rupture, I'd had angiograms, cts, mri, coiling, as well as several cerebral angioplasties in a very short period of time so I would have had a higher than average exposure. I guess the doctors have to weigh up the benefits vs the risks when they do these. If having these follow up angios stops me from having another rupture in the future, I think the risk is worth it so I dont really think about it. I probably will refuse dental xrays for a while unless I feel I really need them but I dont think you can avoid xray exposure in some instances, and as the neuroradiologist said to me, I can always refuse to have it done so we do have a choice and also have to weigh up the advantage vs the risks for us personally.

Thank you. I totally understand. I didn't ask any questions either. I was scared to look at anything going on. I definitely agree that the benefits outweigh any risks especially with ruptures. Yeah I probably won't be getting any dental x-rays either although those have always been considered extremely low dose. WHen you have a brain hemorrhage though, dental stuff starts to seem much less important :)

I do hope someone can answer whether or not the abdomen/chest areas receive any radiation when the catheter is advanced up to the brain. I looked it up a non-graphic video online and it doesn't really look like there's any x-ray equipment aimed at the injection area. Just want to make sure somehow. Thanks!

Hi Joy
I recently had a cerebral angiogram and asked the doctor about the X-rays used during the procedure. The catheter is navigated under X-rays into the aorta and from there into the arteries which supply blood to the brain. It essential that X-rays are used to prevent the arterial wall from being damaged during the insertion of the catheter. In my case, the insertion was surprisingly quick, only a few seconds. The power of the X-ray is the same as any X-ray of the body. Hope this helps and good luck.

Joy... I have been busy researching a lot on both the radiation and the contrast materials..

And, of course, it is so essential that I explain I have no expertise...One of the major organizations./associations/facilities (right word?)...and, end their indepth pages with a "disclaimer"...tooo ...for "their attempt to define"... If nothing else, it is interesting in our attempt to comprehend their attempt to define...

Joy said:

Thanks. Do you assume the radiation dose used to guide the catheter up the artery is low? Lower than what is used to take pictures? Does this mean part of the abdomen and chest is radiated a certain amount with all angios? I was never told that. I assumed they guided the catheter blindly until reaching the area of investigation.

Sharong.,.,.our procedures sound so similar;

My records do not show angioplasties...tho I know of another whose records do...

sharong said:

I've never really questioned it joy. By the time I got out of hospital from my rupture, I'd had angiograms, cts, mri, coiling, as well as several cerebral angioplasties in a very short period of time so I would have had a higher than average exposure. I guess the doctors have to weigh up the benefits vs the risks when they do these. If having these follow up angios stops me from having another rupture in the future, I think the risk is worth it so I dont really think about it. I probably will refuse dental xrays for a while unless I feel I really need them but I dont think you can avoid xray exposure in some instances, and as the neuroradiologist said to me, I can always refuse to have it done so we do have a choice and also have to weigh up the advantage vs the risks for us personally.

Joy...

I have been into research on radiation... an article in 2009...(and likely pre and post this date)

The " patient consent: rad risks associated w/interventional procedures should be discussed with patients as part of the pre-procedure consent process, particularly when the expected dose of radiation may be high."...

Any/all of you may have copies of your consent form...or secure from your office/facility...

I am yet in my "potential rise in mental state"...e.g, maybe past a sentence w/o needing a dictionary..

patio I had severe vasospasm and from what Ive been told it kept shutting down arteries to my brain and restricting the blood flow. Every time it happened I would take a dive and become non responsive (they were waking me up every hour to check on my mental status) and they have a little doppler machine that lets them check on the blood flow rate or something in the neck arteries. every time it happened they would have to wisk me off for another angioplasty to open the artery back up with a balloon so that was all to do with the vasospasm, but I think it's very similar to an angiogram but with a small balloon they inflate. Unfortunately in my case it kept happening over and over. I have no memory of any of it but my husband told me he had to keep signing consent forms for it, and when he asked "what would happen if you dont do it", the doctors told him I would die so he didnt have much choice, just kept signing the forms and hoping the doctors would keep me alive.

It was a bit overwhelming when I read my discharge papers from the hospital because they did all this stuff that I didnt even know about.

patioplans said:

Sharong.,.,.our procedures sound so similar;

My records do not show angioplasties...tho I know of another whose records do...

Thank you! So is there an x-ray machine hovering over the groin, abdomen and heart in order to see where the catheter is going? Is it safe to assume a fairly low dose x-ray was used during this navigation process? I was just surprised to learn this so long after mine and want to make sure the exposure to those areas was not as high as CT scan exposure. I really appreciate the answer. it has been hard to find.

Rich7469 said:

Hi Joy
I recently had a cerebral angiogram and asked the doctor about the X-rays used during the procedure. The catheter is navigated under X-rays into the aorta and from there into the arteries which supply blood to the brain. It essential that X-rays are used to prevent the arterial wall from being damaged during the insertion of the catheter. In my case, the insertion was surprisingly quick, only a few seconds. The power of the X-ray is the same as any X-ray of the body. Hope this helps and good luck.

Joy, for the equipment...you may want to search words like: C-arm...and, the stash of images will come up to view the equipment with C-arms...

Joy said:

Thank you! So is there an x-ray machine hovering over the groin, abdomen and heart in order to see where the catheter is going? Is it safe to assume a fairly low dose x-ray was used during this navigation process? I was just surprised to learn this so long after mine and want to make sure the exposure to those areas was not as high as CT scan exposure. I really appreciate the answer. it has been hard to find.

Rich7469 said:

Hi Joy