Causes of brain aneurysm?

Last year, at 59 years old, after a protracted and severely stressful work situation, a Klonopin addiction, and then going off the Klonopin “cold turkey,” I end up in the ER with THE worst headache imaginable, tinnitus, light sensitivity, and vertigo.A neurologist diagnosed me with a migraine and said that the aneurysm, which was found on a CT scan, was probably an incidental finding. Is it possible the stress, drug addiction, and drug withdrawal could have caused the aneurysm?

Having the left the job and stayed away from benzos, is it likely the aneurysm will not progress given that I have changed my lifestyle?

Per some basic research:

Drug abuse, especially cocaine, can cause the artery walls to inflame and weaken. Abuse of klonopin seems to have more to do with brain chemistry than physical issues such as damaging vessels.

This leads me to believe the anuerysm really was incidental to the addiction. Reduction in stress will always help every issues you’re having but it’s not a cure for aneurysms.

azurelle

1 Like

Thank you! Do you happen to know if the sedation they give to help in the MRI is in pill form or intravenous?

It is pill form in Canada, but my family doctor did not order it so I had the MRIs without it.

I didn’t receive any sedation for the MRI.

At the hospital,in NC, they gave my partner an IV with “champagne” in it as there wasn’t an open machine there. Not sure what was in it but everything went well.