Can't decide on procedure? Terrified!

We could go back and forth on which procedure to have done. There are pros and cons on both. I had my unruptured annie clipped May 11th 2010. I was in on tues and home on fri. I remember waking up as I was in icu thinking my head should hurt. But it didn't. Now mind you I probably had alot of meds in me at the time. I was not a canidate for coiling. So there was no choice for me which was just fine. I did research on both and think that that is what I would have chose anyway. The fact that they have to go in and put more coils in every so often because they get packed down does not thrill me. Once you are clipped thats is it for the annie. At least in that spot. Having your head opened up is very scary but these docs do it all the time. Mine has been doing it since 1988. I trusted him plus I went online and looked him up and then found some other people on here who had had the same doctor. I knew I would be ok. As far as the MS goes, are they sure? I was having some difficulties not from the surgery but just some odd things like stumbling, forgetfulness etc. I went to the neurologist and told me they would keep an eye on it if it got worse. She was also thinking it may be MS. Good luck in your decision. We will be here for you. Ultimatly it is your decision. It is a really scary one to have to make.

WOW !! Im so surprised on the coils not lasting thing. I had coil and stent and my neuro said it is good for life. I hope it is. Does the stent make it more reliable ?

The MS was a seperate diagnosis with a seperate scan. The doc says that I it have based on my brain scans, but he is taking blood and a spinal test to confirm. On a MRI it shows up as white discolored contrasts. I have several but one large spot on the right side. It is very obvious on the scan. I am realy sick to my stomach over all this. My circumstances are such that all this is really taking its toll. The economy has takin a big hit on my business. We are struggiling and me in bed for weeks or months and now the possiblility of not being hired because of MS is almost too much to deal with.....sorry about the whinning.

I hear you. I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis then two brain aneurysms. If I could go back I would have never, never coiled. I would have gone straight to craniotomy. I think the most important thing for you to do is ask the risks in your situation, where your aneurysm is located, with both procedures. My coiling was unsuccessful. My aneurysm compressed and I needed to be clipped. Please try to find a good doctor for your MS. There are many treatments out there today. The key is to find the one that works best for you.

My doctor was very clear about the risks/benefits and strongly recommended coiling. Crainiotimy obviously carries higher risk, though still very safe. For him, it had to do w/ percentage chance of aneurysm rupturing over time, with percentage risk between the two procedures. It was a pretty simple decision and his guidance was of supreme importance. It's true that a surgeon will recommend surgery - as a non-surgeon who I consulted said to me once when a surgeon recommended removing a breast lump, A SURGEONS TOOL IS THE KNIFE so of couse that's their solution. It may be the right choice for you, but it's not surprising that the surgeon recommended the craniotomy. One of the reasons I felt so great about my doctor is that unlike most, he does both craniotomys as well as endovascular coilings - so he could really speak farily about the odds of success for both. I'm not worried about my coiling. It's likely that more people who have troubles w/ their coilings are the ones who post - and could be an unfair representation of the procedure having complications down the road. My surgeon assured me that chances of needing to go back in are really low, and I just have to trust that. Nothing is perfect, there won't be a perfect answer. I'm not trying to coerce you into coiling, believe me, there's a part of me that is so envious of those who were clipped and are more psychologically done with this that I perhaps am, having been coiled. But I'm glad w/ my choice and at some point I think you just have to decide where you can best put your faith and trust. I do believe that you will be fine either way! Your'e smart, educated, good doctors ----- it will be okay!

xo Jen

That is amazing. You are in Los Angeles, CA and I am in Havertown, PA and both our doctors do both procedures. My doctor also does both endovascular coilings and craniotomies as opposed to some facilities where the neurosurgeon does the craniotomy and radiologist does the coiling.

I think that each situation is different and there are many factors involved so my advice would be to ask the doctor the risks with each procedure in nonameplease's case. I would also ask the doc if you were me what would you do? When I have a decision to make regarding a procedure, I look to others for guidance but in the end the choice is mine. Jennifer I get out the paper and pen and make a list of pros and cons. I do agree that coiling is less invasive. Maybe that is the way to look at it, try the coiling and if for some reason it doesn't work have the craniotomy. I don't know. I only know what happened to me. I am sorry if I am confusing you more nonameplease. I hope that whatever you choose, it is the right decision for you. I hope that all goes well and you have a speedy recovery. Wishing you the best.

Hi donna-

Didn't it feel reassuring to have a doctor who performed both procedures? I went in thinking that if the coiling didn't work, he could always do the craniotomy. Nonameplease - does either of your doctors do both procedures?

A few more things to think about is where your annie is at, too. My doctor said if your annie is in a fork of an artery a coiling is not good because the blood is kind of rushed through and will flood the area-but if the annie is not in a fork this is best (considering the size, shape, and opening). Find out as much info on the location, size, shape, and place of your annie-and discuss this info with your doctor.

No, they are partners and one does coiling and the other does the craniotmy

Yes that is my concern it is located very cloase to the other 3 arteries, but not in the actual fork...but damn close for me....also the neck looks very wide but he says that is not acurate in the scan ......

I am very scared and I do not consider myself scared of many things. This is the worst thing for me my uncle died of an annie and I watched him suffer. It was horrible. I was young when it happened. Everyone has their thing....bound in a wheelchair, blind etc. Mine is any thing but an ANUERYSM! So I am really freaked out. I am convinced of the worst.....I really just dont want this to be true...

Not at all, I appreciate ur comments. The doc says if coiling fails craniotomy and clipping would be very difficult. If coiling fails I am stuck with it and they can just do the best they can with it.

Yes Jennifer it is reassuring when your doctor can perform both procedures.

That is something to consider Nonameplease. I can't imagine that you would not be a candidate for clipping if the coiling fails. I would have to think that maybe another doctor who clips unsuccessful coilings might be the answer here unless it is because of the location. I am not sure.

Let me ease you mind. I was convinced of the worst. I could not even imagine that things were going to go well for me. I was convinced that I was going to die. I said goodbye to my children. I didn't even consider that I would live and be in bad shape because in my mind I was leaving this world. You see Nonameplease I have been through a lot and I never seem to end up in the 90% but always in the 10%. You know the less likely things would happen to me. So to think that this time I was going to be in the 85% instead of the 15% was not even a consideration in my mind. Well I did end up in the 85% and not where I thought I would be. Things are not perfect. There are some problems but things could have been much worse. So please try to think more positive. Try to see the glass as half full and not as half empty. I wish you all the best.

OMG I am so very sorry to hear that..Almost makes me feel like I should shut up and not complain..

God be with you at this devistating time in your life...

Thoughts and Prayers

Kimberley

I was lucky because I didn't know of information out there that I could research before my surgery. So honestly I knew that I had an aneurysm and that something had to be done. I had the option of coiling but I chose the crainiotomy because I knew that I wouldn't have to worry about that annie any more. I had no problems during surgery. I even have sight in my right eye which astonished the doctors. Corrective lenses have taken care of double vision problems. Recovery was slow. Had some balance issues. Helped my husband roof our machine shed two months after surgery. Having faith in God and letting Him be in control helped. I really had no fears because I knew something had to be done and that whatever happened God would help me through. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hello-

I had my 3mm anuersym clipped just over 3 weeks ago. I am recovering very well! Mostly I just get tired out easily, so doing a lot of relaxing. I was so scared about having a craniotomy. My surgeon recommended a craniotomy because of my age (37), that I am in good health otherwise, and the shape and location of my anuersym. He had me meet with the doctor who does the coiling procedure as well. He wanted me informed about each, and to make a decision from there. I was told I could do either surgery as well.

When I met with the coiling doctor, he agreed that I would be a good candidate for the clip, and that there is a possibility that I may need to have more coils put in in the future because of the shape. He said that about 15% of people who have the coil surgery will need surgery again in the future. He said there are two kinds of people-

Some choose the coils because there is NO way they want there head opened up! And others go with the craniotomy to get it over with so they never have to deal with it again. That was me!

After my angiogram, that doctor spoke to my husband and recommended the clip surgery as well. For the same reasons as above.

I figure my recovery may be a little longer, but I felt that the risk of possibly having to go through surgery again seemed the same as living with the anuersym. I didn't want to worry about it ever again! There are risks with both procedures. With my craniotomy, my surgeon said I had a 1-3 % risk that anything risky would happen. That was comforting for me. I am thankful my surgery went well and I am on the recovery side. The stress before the surgery was very hard and emotional. I questioned whether I was doing the right thing a few times. Both doctors agreed that doing nothing was not a good option. So what ever you choose is going to take care of the aneursym, and thats a good thing!:) This site was so helpful for me when I found out. I wish you the best of luck with what ever you decide. I look forward to your updates.

Take care and God bless!

Becky

Thank you so much for your comments it sounds very much like my situation. However, I have never felt more scared and terrified of anything in my life. I am truly just beyond scared and my circumstances are such, as I previously posted, it will ruin us financially to be off work and away from my business for so long, and my loving caring wife would have such a burden, we have teenagers. She is so strong but I know this is very hard for her, but she wont let me see it. You are so brave. I would gladly go to war and fight any enemy, but this is scary as hell! you are inspiring.

I do understand how you are feeling, completely! For the 1st time in my life I felt I faced mortality. I have teenagers as well. The thought of leaving my family was so painful. The anxiety and waiting was so hard some days. I moved from disbelief that I had an aneursym, to facing the reality of having this major scary surgery. I can't tell you all the emotions I felt. Well, I don't need to, you are feeling them! I will say, once you get through the surgery, so much of the emotions and burden are released. At least for me. I was so happy to be done with it and ok. I was in the hospital 4 nights. I slept so much, it flew right by. I am taking 4- 5 weeks off work, then going part time for 1-2 weeks. I know that it is so hard to take time off work, but your life is more valuable! It is helpful your kids are older, and can care for themselves. You will be back on your feet before you know it!:)

One thing that was good for me is I stopped doing research on the internet because it was too much. It was often too scary and I would walk away from the computer crying and thinking the worst. I always seemed to find bad stories. My doctor was so helpful with that. He was straight forward and so right about what to expect. He was so calm and comforting. These doctors are so amazing and smart!

As my doctor said, We are going to go in and take care of this so you can live a long life with your 3 children and husband! I did my best to stay positive and think positive! That helped, although I would find I needed extra support from my husband, family, and friends to keep things in perspective often. I prayed and had many praying for me that was comforting as well. A couple encouraging bible verses for me were Philippians 4:6 and John 14:27.

Take care, Becky

i would go with coiling, hopefully it will ess invasive and your recovery time will be shorter than having your noggin cracked open...sorry to be blunt but we are all here without ant of the sugar coating,,thats why i like this support site because it is all honesty and your pretty much given the truth and nuthin but the truth,,love ya and sending many prayers your way..Gods got your back,,so no worries