Can I live a long, normal and good life after aneurysm surgery?

mhagele....we are two peas in a pod! We weren't happy with just having a SAH....we had to go and get septic/Pneumonia, Bacterial Meningitis, Hydrocephalus!! My son was 18 so I cannot even begin to imagine going through what I/we went through with four children. It had to be SO demanding at times. I'm so glad your husband and children have stayed by your side...fighting with you and for you. My son is always there when I need him. People said they were going to start a dinner chain and that never took place. Something so simple would have made life SO much easier. When you go through this mind blowing experience...you find out who is there for you when you need them and those who are there for you when it's convenient for them. Sad but true. I too find I spread myself a little too thin at times, but with having children at home...how can you not? This was hard enough on me...but on you? It's got to be 1000X harder. I too am in (what feels like) constant conversation with God. He's been there since the beginning and doesn't plan on leaving any time soon. God is truly good if we both (a lot of people on this site) went through such harrowing times and have lived to tell about it. The MAJORITY of people die who have a SAH. We are little walking, talking, smiling miracles. Stay strong...you've obviously got the right attitude.

mhagele said:

Pixiechick66 I relate to you so much, Like you I had a LARGE SAH that had to be Coiled with Multiple 4-6 Coils, I spent A month in ICU, I had Pneumonia, Bacterial Meningitis, Hydrocephalus, Vasospasm's, and many other issues, The Hydrocephalus required me to have a Permanent VP Shunt Place in my Brain with the drain going down my neck, chest to my Abdomen. When release from ICU I spent a week in a IMC Intermediate care Unit, and then went to Inpatient Rehab for 2-3 weeks. It was unbelievable hard, some days I thought NOO Way, at the same time most days I thought HOLLLLYYY Shit I really survived all that, that just doesn't happen. I Had just reached my dream of being a Registered Nurse, I was a Married Mother of 4, I felt so lost, confused, it took quite a lot of prayer reflection, and Trust Me I am still to there, However I do know this, Things that I thought were life or death before, do not even matter today. I try to live as stress free as possible, My anxiety is out of control a lot more often. I struggle with being overly tired, and not knowing when to much is to much, until it is to late. I have also learned my husband and youngest son and oldest Daughter are the only ones that will forever Be there for me. I was Hurt by SO MANY Family members, and so called friends, Everyone made promises to be there, and not fuss or fight over little things and not go extended amount of time without talking. However that all Proved to be VERY UNTRUE. I haven't heard from Most Family and ANY FRIENDS. I have Become SOOO Much closer to GOD MY Holy Father, who has been there for me continuously, without fail.

God Bless you and Stay Positive

pixiechick66 said:

Deng....please know that you CAN have a "normal" life after this difficult experience. I spent 28 days in the neuro ICU and another week at a hospital for physical therapy. The doc had to go in 3 different times...vasospasms were a real problem for me. After 6 weeks at home I became septic (UTI) and spent another week in the neuro ICU....then another week at a nursing home for a bit more PT. This all happened in 2014. Now...I might struggle during the day but to look at me you wouldn't believe I had a SAH. But...I don't struggle EVERY day. I became quite depressed after going through so much, but time with a therapist and some anti-depressants helped enormously. "Normal" is what we make it. It will be normal for you to have some bad days and also days of doubt and anxiety. Each day will build your strength both physically and emotionally. (and mentally!!) Best of luck and don't let the "what if's" take control. WE are the ones who have control over our lives...not a damn aneurysm!

I had an unruptured fusiform aneurysm clipped in July 2014 and like you, I feel no deficit from the operation. I went back to work 8 weeks after my surgery, and so far, life has been like before - that is, I feel normal. I feel so normal that I rarely even think about my clipped aneurysm. I am very grateful that things went so well.

1 Like

That's fantastic Lora! That's the goal, right? To be like "before"? Congrats on your recovery!

Lora said:

I had an unruptured fusiform aneurysm clipped in July 2014 and like you, I feel no deficit from the operation. I went back to work 8 weeks after my surgery, and so far, life has been like before - that is, I feel normal. I feel so normal that I rarely even think about my clipped aneurysm. I am very grateful that things went so well.

No two situations are the same. I had my basilar artery clipped for a giant aneurysm at age 20. That was 33 years ago and I am still here. I have some deficits (eg epilepsy), but managed to complete a PhD and am now a university lecturer.

The technology has improved a lot since 1982, so there is every chance you will still be around in 2050!

I lurk on this space because my husband had a giant ruptured cerebral aneurysm in early 2014 and clipping. His recovery has been complicated by sleep apnea (remember the angle at which you rested so the cranial drains would work?), meningitis, UTI, some other unknown infection, and later DVT and PE. I see so many similarities in your stories.

I am writing to say that I see the fight in all of you that I see in my husband. You are all superheroes in my mind. You are awesome. Keep up the fight!

You gave me hope that I can still my son and daughter grow up. God bless you.

Jonathan Vincent said:

No two situations are the same. I had my basilar artery clipped for a giant aneurysm at age 20. That was 33 years ago and I am still here. I have some deficits (eg epilepsy), but managed to complete a PhD and am now a university lecturer.

The technology has improved a lot since 1982, so there is every chance you will still be around in 2050!

:)) One thing you might want to look into Deng. Occasionally aneurysms can be congenital. At some point, you might want to ask your children's doctor to order a scan for them to make sure they don't have one. I don't say this to worry you....it's just something to check to give you extra security. They checked my son after mine. Usually they do it via MRI/MRA. Good luck watching your kids grow up! :)) Life is good.

I really don't know about aneurysm till I had one. I don't know about the reliability of clipping and whether I am still high risk for another. Please share your mindset after your operation so that I can emulate it.

Lora said:

Pixiechick66, my aneurysm was never detected until it ruptured 3 years after the car accident. My mom and I were in the car, I was in front passenger seat and he hit the back on my side. Both of us had bad whiplash but mine was particularly severe and I had 6 months of intensive physiotherapy and traction which did NOT help at all and I think may have contributed to my aneurysm rupture. I am absolutely fine now except for some migraine type headaches a few times a year. I am very thankful to be OK and just want to help comfort others going through the same thing. Time REALLY is a great healer. Avena sativa is very effective and safe, its just herbs. I hate taking tablets! I also use herbal teas for my headaches where possible.

I'm not happy you ruptured but I am happy you are doing well. I'm with you...the less pills the better, but I also have Crohn's Disease...so pills are part of my everyday life. You have a terrific positive attitude and that can make even the worst of times seem a little better. Sounds like you had a bad 3 or 4 year run, but are now doing OK. Stay well, stay healthy!

Joy Kearney said:

Pixiechick66, my aneurysm was never detected until it ruptured 3 years after the car accident. My mom and I were in the car, I was in front passenger seat and he hit the back on my side. Both of us had bad whiplash but mine was particularly severe and I had 6 months of intensive physiotherapy and traction which did NOT help at all and I think may have contributed to my aneurysm rupture. I am absolutely fine now except for some migraine type headaches a few times a year. I am very thankful to be OK and just want to help comfort others going through the same thing. Time REALLY is a great healer. Avena sativa is very effective and safe, its just herbs. I hate taking tablets! I also use herbal teas for my headaches where possible.

Hi Lynne! The person who has the SAH is NOT the only person who goes through a life changing event. Family does also and the closer you are, the more it impacts you. I knew for years that I had sleep apnea, but did nothing to remedy it. Once I was in the ICU for a month...they told me not to wait any longer. I did a sleep test about 3 months after my SAH and was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. Result?? I am sleeping beautifully now. It has aided in my everyday life and I hope your husband is or will use a "sleep machine". It did wonders for me. Keep on fighting for him...I know you will!

Lynne said:

I lurk on this space because my husband had a giant ruptured cerebral aneurysm in early 2014 and clipping. His recovery has been complicated by sleep apnea (remember the angle at which you rested so the cranial drains would work?), meningitis, UTI, some other unknown infection, and later DVT and PE. I see so many similarities in your stories.

I am writing to say that I see the fight in all of you that I see in my husband. You are all superheroes in my mind. You are awesome. Keep up the fight!

It's really scary, isn't it? My son was home when I had my SAH in February of 2014 at around 2AM. To know that if he was not there....I wouldn't be here? That's frightening!

In April 2014 I became septic (UTI), had a 103 fever and was unresponsive. My son came into my room before school that morning and he hadn't done so since I ruptured. I wear a pain patch for Crohn's Disease which lasts for 3 days....I had changed it the day before. The docs figured that with the high fever that the patch "dumped" all 3 days into my system at one time. Scary! It's almost too freaky for words!

I am glad you are well and healing. It wasn't our time yet. Thank God for our families!

Rebecca Combs said:

I am so happy to be alive. If it wasn't for my husband NOT going to work on Feb 27.2015, I would not be. I stopped breathing and he did CPR and I started breathing again. I was in ICU for 3 weeks and went home after another week. I could barely get out of bed by myself, and had a large portion of skull left off , to wait for the swelling in my brain to go down. It did and I got the rest of my skull put back on, and another week in the hospital. It is Sept. now , I feel good, just a little short term memory deficit. I try not to dwell on the past, and just live life one day at a time. I'll admit it was hard at first, but as time goes by it gets easier. If I can do it, you can do it too. I was the kind of person that always worried about my health. I mean before the aneurysm. The only thing I can figure out is that the good Lord has given me strength, and I pray a lot.

Pixiechick, I'm so happy also that you made it, thank God for your son! Yes, its time they came up with something natural for Crohn's disease and a lot of other conditions. Yes, I am very positive, I'm lucky and I keep telling myself that every day and that also helps the positive attitude! One of the things that made me fight hard to stay alive was finishing my studies. It took me about 4 years to get the strength to go back o doing my Master's but I did it! I am addicted to studying and researching so that has kept me busy (and healthy) all these years! I can hardly remember how bad I felt in those early years! Time really is a healer. Hope you will feel better and better! Keep the faith!

Joy....it's great to hear that you found other passions in life. I'm at a point where too many changes are happening too closely together, I guess. I found out I had to move, after living in an apartment for 10 years. They terminated my lease so they could make updates and charge an additional $200 per month. My son was going to move in with his girlfriend so I got a one bedroom apartment....but they broke up right before moving day. My son is living with his father which is NOT the best situation. After being with each other for 20 years, my son no longer lives with me. I'm in a new apartment when I'd rather be at my old place. I used to watch kids after school but I don't have any this year. I was without a car for 3 months. Then of course there's the SAH and Crohn's Disease. (I've had 13 surgeries just for my Crohn's with multiple other hospitalizations) But...reading and learning was always a passion of mine, too. Reading is still VERY difficult for me. I've done some graphic novels and that has gone well. I'm listening to books on playaway from my library, but the passion has not returned. That is what I find frustrating....this "flat" feeling. With so much time on my hands it's time to start doing something constructive. It's inspiring to hear that you went after and obtained your masters! Congrats. I just need to keep a positive attitude and persevere. Sorry to get so personal and "dump" on you...but your story has inspired me and helped me to realize that this won't be forever. Take it one day at a time and before I know it...I'll find that passion inside! Thanks for "listening".

Joy Kearney said:

Pixiechick, I'm so happy also that you made it, thank God for your son! Yes, its time they came up with something natural for Crohn's disease and a lot of other conditions. Yes, I am very positive, I'm lucky and I keep telling myself that every day and that also helps the positive attitude! One of the things that made me fight hard to stay alive was finishing my studies. It took me about 4 years to get the strength to go back o doing my Master's but I did it! I am addicted to studying and researching so that has kept me busy (and healthy) all these years! I can hardly remember how bad I felt in those early years! Time really is a healer. Hope you will feel better and better! Keep the faith!

Deng, I'm wondering how you are doing these days. I'm sure the other people here would like to know too.

Hope you are well!

Seenie from Moderator Support