Can I live a long, normal and good life after aneurysm surgery?

I am just 3 months post clipping in the Philippines. I don't know much about being a BA survivor. I just want to be inspired by your stories to give me the courage to move on with my life. I have started working and I feel no deficit from the operation.

Questions?

How can I regain my health confidence?

Is clipping surgery of a BA a one time event?

Am I still high risk to have another BA?

Hello Deng, i am glad to hear that you have few noticable defecits following surgery. As a survivor of 3 brain avm surgeries, i am hesitant to tell you that you arr out of the woods. My 3rd bleed happened after the doctors told me i was in the clear… however, you take it one day at a time and praise the Lord each day you get.

Hi Deng! I had an anny clipping in Jan 2014. So far, so good. No long term effects and I went back to work 6 wks after the surgery. The chances of you getting another aneurysm all depend on the cause in the first place. There is a strong family history of them in my family which gives me a greater chance of having another. Smoking plays a big role as well due to the nicotine so if you don’t smoke, that too would be helpful. Good luck with everything!

Hello Deng,

I had 4 aneurysms clipped 5 years ago, as well as a 2nd craniotomy to try a bypass for a missing artery, and I am a healthy productive survivor. The first year was a bit challenging, I took on a high-pressure job 8 weeks post surgery and worked long hours, which I don't recommend the first year. As the years go on, I have been in great health, only have migraine auras but really no other issues. I work 55 hours a week, have 2 young children and have a great career. I am fortunate that my body healed well and although the bypass failed, the collateral vessels in the area make up for the missing artery. I have angiograms every 2 years as follow up now, and things look very positive. Most important is to stay hydrated at all time.

Best of luck in your recovery, you can lead an amazing life post op. Wishing you the best for the future.

-Sarah

Hi, I had my clipping in November 2013. I didn’t notice any side effects until many months after surgery. I still deal with pain, it’s getting manageable more each day.
After surgery I was worried about working out. I set a goal to run a race to overcome that fear & it really worked.
My advice would be to expect good days & bad days for awhile.

Short answer: yes you can!! Longer answer: every one of our situations is a little (or a lot) different. Factors include your health beforehand, your age, if you had a bleed or not, how bad your bleed was, how skilled your surgeon, etc. Most people don’t experience additional aneurysms but some do. Best thing to do is surround yourself with family and friends and keep being monitored by the best neuros in your area. Stay active but don’t overdo things. Reach out for therapy if you have a lot of anxiety, and give yourself time to recover emotionally. There are good websites to help you understand more about aneurysm - see Johns Hopkins or Mayo Clinic sites. The BAF also has good information and “survivor stories.” Best wishes :slight_smile:

hello I had my aneurism coiled 3 years ago and have been fine I just sometimes get a headach at the point of the coiling but thank god I am fine

My annie was clipped in March of 1998 at 40 years of age. 17.5 years later and I am doing great! The first 5--6 years are the hardest as it is very easy to get over tired without realizing it until after the damage is done. I am still the queen of naps, and post-it notes. I luckily had few deficits but I work around them. Still can't smell. Things that were 'important' before the surgery just weren't so afterwards. I reset my priorities in life. I am gainfully employed as an office manager/bookkeeper. Expect ups and downs, tiredness and feelings of being stuck on a plateau but it will get better! Good luck to you and all others on this journey we have been 'chosen' for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 1 year post my clipping and doing well at 35! I have some slight peripheral vision loss which doesn’t hold me back I have a 6 year old daughter to live for !! I still have exhausted days but hard to say if that’s just life and not from the aneurysm. I have pushed myself to move forward since day one. My father passed away after an aneurysm in 2007 and I knew I was not going to let this define me… Everyday second of everyday get easier trust me

I had my rupture and clipping in 1989 and I have been fine ever since except for headaches which have gradually decreased over the years. I now have only a couple of severe headaches per year, but never had any more treatment since 1989. My advice: rest as much as you can in the first year or so, even if you feel well. The healing process is ongoing but rest always speeds it up! You'l be fine! I work full time, finished two university degrees after the BA clipping, and just continued on with my life. Good luck!

Best wishes to you, you are doing well after a few months. I am nearly three years post coiling and shunt following a rupture, so my recuperation was slow, my prognosis was bleak but I amazed everyone. I am older but was not ready to retire but I was not able to return to a fairly high tech job. I have some short term memory and aphasia that show when I grow tired, some executive deficits more pronounced when I am stressed or fatigued. Who can say if the cause is the hemorrhage or age? Insurance turned off reinbursement for therapy at the end of year one, saying improvement would not be likely. The neurosureon said that is based a lot on age. My progress has continued slowly, it was devastating to have the insurance company give such a verdict while I was still making good progress. If one is wealthy and does not have to rely on insurance then it is not a problem. Therapy after surgery and post nursing care was expensive. Perhaps if I had been able to return to work they would have been more supportive, I tried to return but needed support was not there. Best wishes to you! It seems to me that the hardest part is what is invisible to others.

Hi. Happy to hear you’re doing well. I’m curious. You didn’t give much detail surrounding the clipping. Was there a rupture,? Do you have an AVM or aneurysm?
Typically clipping is the most permanent form of treating am aneurysm. Coils need to be followed up with, probably for the rest of your life.
I think everyone walks away with some sort of CHANGE whether it be emotional or physical (or both)
A friend of mind had two brain surgeries after ruptures at the age of 11. He’s fine- he’s now 45. Since I was diagnosed with my two unruptured aneurysms I tell him how blessed he is that he’s got no deficits. He honestly didn’t think anything of it until I said it. Youth = resilience
I had a Stent placement may 2008 and a Coil embolization august 2008 with another attempted embolization January of 2009 but it was unnecessary because the remainder of the aneurysm clotted on its own.
Whether there’s a rupture or not, once they go into your brain theres always going to be some sort of change. Depending on personal sensitivity. Apparently I’m hypertensive and feel every little change. I also developed chronic headaches & migraines which may have lessened through the years. I suffer from depression and in 2009 I’m pretry sure I had post traumatic stress. Since my mom died suddenly in 1991 at the age of 51 due to an AVM rupture, I’m pretty sure that made the whole experience more emotional for me personally.
I wish you continued good health. Including everyone that posted here. It’s the first time I’m checking in and posting with my phone so I hope I’m not missing anything.
Take care & be well

I was really worried about this. REALLY worried. I was scared of everything after surgery. I believe the secret is time, with a little bit of faith in yourself. Take some chances and try not to sit at home. I was very nervous about leaving the country and flying, but I did it. Nervous to have a sip of wine, but I did it!(in moderation). And now I’m happy to report that I’m 5 months pregnant and on a journey I didn’t think would be possible a year ago. You’ll get there:) just have faith.

You probably have no more chance of getting another BA than anyone else. I’ve just had my fifteenth anniversary after having a giant aneurysm clipped, and my life is pretty normal. Just carry on living the best you can.

David Andrus, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Once you have one there is a chance for another one. Your dr should monitor you for 5 years. What i am was told. It is a blessing to live thru this. Your life is valuable. Just live a day at a time

I had ruptured aneurysm coiled last year and still have physical and memory issues. If you walk away frfrom this with no after effects then you are incredibly lucky. I have never felt like my old self at all since it happened to me and I’m not sure I ever will but I have to move on and make the best of it

Tony McGuffie, UK

Welcome to our group! Step one in regaining your health confidence is looking for support, which you are doing by reaching out in this forum! Good job!! It will also take time and some amount of constantly reminding yourself you are ok, or listening to your body and brain and understanding it, if something is wrong. We are all still high risk, but the good news is, if you stay persistent with your doctors, you can get regularly screened for additional aneurysms (every 5 years or so). And that does make you lower risk for having a catastrophic problem. Hang in there!

I am so happy to be alive. If it wasn’t for my husband NOT going to work on Feb 27.2015, I would not be. I stopped breathing and he did CPR and I started breathing again. I was in ICU for 3 weeks and went home after another week. I could barely get out of bed by myself, and had a large portion of skull left off , to wait for the swelling in my brain to go down. It did and I got the rest of my skull put back on, and another week in the hospital. It is Sept. now , I feel good, just a little short term memory deficit. I try not to dwell on the past, and just live life one day at a time. I’ll admit it was hard at first, but as time goes by it gets easier. If I can do it, you can do it too. I was the kind of person that always worried about my health. I mean before the aneurysm. The only thing I can figure out is that the good Lord has given me strength, and I pray a lot.

Of course you can!!! Baby steps worked for me - I set small, manageable goals for every day. Day one was walking to the bathroom. Whew. The goals grew from there - kitchen, stairs etc. I think general health, family history ( I have none) and smoking play a role.

My name is Cris and I had brain aneurysm rupture 5 yrs ago. Mine was repaired by coiling. Just like you, I returned to my full time job after 3 months of rupture. I endured a month of work but I had to take off again because I just can’t. Although I did not suffer any physical deficits other than numbness on my right lower leg, I felt very depressed. The feeling of “not my old self”, “I can’t do things right”, “no one understand what I’m going through” were more debilitating to me. I got through all that phase because I asked for help. The 1st year after surgery is the hardest. And you are on the right track of recovery because you wanted support, congratulations! Anyway, I came back to work after a month but as a part time. Then gradually, I increased my hours until I became full time again. Do not hesitate to get help. Your family, friends,co-workers, & doctors. Tell them what you’re going through and how you think they could help. I know you’re surrounded with people who love you very much. Recovery is slow,gradual process. After 5 years-I’m still recovering.I feel like my “old self” again but I get tired easily. Hey! that’s why there’s a word called nap. I catch up with my sleep whenever I can. After work, I park my car on the park and nap for few minutes. I’m Filipino too, so if you want to chat through email let me know. Hang in there!