Brain Aneurysm Support Community

Residual Effects After BA Clip Surgery

I discovered I had a BA in 1999 but did not have the clip surgery until 2014. That is when the statistics for surgery outweighed possible rupture. Overall the surgery was successful and I feel very blessed. Physical therapy helped to walk again.

Some of the residual effects I still experience include loss of short term memory e.g. even though I know someone well I often can’t do introductions. I must keep notes and use relative habits to remember things. I am sensitive to flickering lights and shadows. I hear up for no reason, specifically when I’m happy. I no longer have the ability to sweat which causes me to overheat easily. This has contributed to a lot of weight gain. I have adjusted to most of the side effects but really need to lose weight. I have reduced my intake and do short walks with no success. Any other suggestions?

1 Like

Repetitive not relative habits.

Tear up not hear up. Silly autocorrect!

First would like to welcome you to group. I think I find most people have side affects from surgery. Sorry you have to deal with them. For me it has taken time just to except the side effects that I was having. I do find that when I started to get stressed about my problem with Speech and my ability not to smell and having pain in head when bend down to much. Just want you to feel your not alone on this journey. What do you enjoy to do to make you relax of give you peace. Or maybe try something new. I will say some prayers for you. Thank you for sharing. One day at a time. Good wishes!:wink::sunflower:

Welcome to the group! I was clipped in 1995 for a right posterior communicating artery aneurysm that ruptured. Your experiences are very familiar to me. I have short term memory issues as well, and it sounds like you have found good ways to cope with it using notes and repetition. Post-it notes can be helpful as well as saying things out loud, which seems to make it easier to remember things. About introducing people, I have problems with facial recognition, so all tall men with beards look pretty much alike. That took training myself to find a unique characteristic to identify them with. When introducing people to others, I just turn to them and let them introduce themselves. if you don’t say anything, the other person usually fills the silence. facial recognition isn’t a problem with my family, just with new people or people I don’t see often. I am sure I have annoyed acquaintances by ignoring them on the street. I had to study the facial signs of emotion, like jaw clenching with anger or eye narrowing with annoyance. I totally missed these clues after the aneurysm.
I haven’t experienced inability to sweat, but you might want to see a neuroendocrinologist, since the surgery may have affected sweat-controlling endocrine cells in the brain (the hypothalamus?). I have seizures from flashing lights and take a seizure drug for that.
Oh, and weight gain. Had that too. No real answer for that, but I recognized I was more sensitive to low blood sugar between meals so I eat smaller meals more frequently and entirely (well, almost entirely) avoid sugar. That helped with the overwhelming hunger I was experiencing. I don’t drink my calories, so water and coffee are all that I drink, since diet sodas play with my blood sugar too. They did a 24-hour blood sugar monitoring in the hospital and found I was very susceptible to lows between meals and overnight and that those lows made me hungry (and gave me seizures). I don’t have diabetes. The hypothalamus controls blood sugar swings as well.
I don’t know if I am just getting used to all the post-clipping changes, or if they have gotten better over the years. It has helped to just accept that I am forever changed and have to think of all these differences as the new normal for me. This site with fellow survivors has helped me feel less alone and to better accept the changes. Glad you found us!

Welcome SeeJJgo! A few tips on losing weight, drink water, especially first thing in the morning. My SO drinks two glasses of water before the coffee. It has reduced the atypical migraines. The other thing you might try is a diabetic or heart healthy diet. Like Kate said, watch the processed foods, McDonalds happy meals aren’t your friend. I have a lesion on or near my pituitary gland so the docs don’t worry about my weight anymore. I still try to eat healthy and smaller meals more often. We have found a couple websites that have really good healthy recipes. This is one of our favorites http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/251003/pork-broccoli-thai-noodle-salad/

Thank you for sharing. I too have just accepted the new me and feel very blessed that I’m here spending time with my family and watching my grandchildren grow up. I look forward to being part of this group.

2 Likes

Thank you for your prayers!

1 Like

Thank you for the recipe information. I just started drinking more water and trying to walk while it is cool out.

2 Likes

When we were on city water, I would put a packet of dry lemon into it. I first found the small packs at our local hospital. My parents would save them for me when they had to stay. I’ve since found them at Walmart😂

2 Likes

The extra effects we get can be challenging! I was getting my BA when I had a clip done and rereading class material with my written notes helped me retain at least through that course. :0) I have found that replacing 1 meal a day with a protein shake ( premier protein has 30g) helps with limited exercise and small snacks or meals. I just had a double knee replacement 8 months ago and can honestly say that challenge has been a journey on its own! Good luck and stay strong on our daily adventures.
Regards,
Christina

1 Like

True Lemon packets. They have other flavored ones like Strawberry, Wild Berries and some others. I buy multiple boxes and the 20oz bottles of water from Walmart and the packet to water ratio is perfect.

1 Like

Their chocolate reminds me of the chocolate milk my mom would make when I was little