Can I live a long, normal and good life after aneurysm surgery?

You will still live normal life because you wanted to. You have to communicate with your doctor’s regarding follow up appointments and procedures. Be an advocate for your self. We still carry the risk of having another aneurysms that’s why following up with our doctors and appointments is a must. I don’t know if they do coiling in Philippines but that another way to repair/prevent rupture of BA without opening your skull.

My aneurysm ruptured in 1974 at age 23. After clipping, I had some vision problems for about 3 months. My life was very normal afterwards. I was able to do everything I wished to do, worked, vacationed, had two children and now have 3 grandchildren. I am now 65. I just had a full physical. I had a scare recently with high blood pressure. Doctor says I can still have a long life ahead of me. Yes there is life after BA. I hope you will do as well. Try to remain positive. Best wishes.

I want to like you. I am praying that this will be a lifetime event. What was you mindset after the clipping operation. I want to emulate yours to carry me through.

ambrrosy said:

My aneurysm ruptured in 1974 at age 23. After clipping, I had some vision problems for about 3 months. My life was very normal afterwards. I was able to do everything I wished to do, worked, vacationed, had two children and now have 3 grandchildren. I am now 65. I just had a full physical. I had a scare recently with high blood pressure. Doctor says I can still have a long life ahead of me. Yes there is life after BA. I hope you will do as well. Try to remain positive. Best wishes.

I did not feel sorry for myself. I probably did not know how serious a BA could be. The day I came home from the hospital, my husband took me to a party with some friends. I was bald then and that was the only thing that bothered me. I wore a patch over my eye for months and that was just something to make jokes about. After my hair grew back, there was nothing more to think about. Take life as it comes and make the most of it. When I grew older, I had many more operations - hysterectomy, gall bladder removed, abdominal aortic aneurysm repaired, hernia repair. I take it all in stride. Live life as you like and never worry about what might happen in the future. Good luck to you.
Deng Espiritu said:

I want to like you. I am praying that this will be a lifetime event. What was you mindset after the clipping operation. I want to emulate yours to carry me through.

ambrrosy said:

I experienced a ruptured brain aneurysm 2 years ago. When I first came home I was so afraid to live. But when I got tired of being afraid to live I began to live. In other words for me your fears are normal. Since that time I have enjoyed every moment because I see how it could have been and remember that I am truly blessed to first be alive and then recovered with no difficulties. So, this to will pass just remember you want to enjoy the new life you have been given instead of being afraid. My prayers will be with you.

I am 4 years post clipping and I too was a little scared to get back into normal daily routines of life. Not anymore. I do cross fit now 2-3 times a week among other things.

Ducie,

I appreciate your comments, and emphasis that there's going to be some change. Yes, we can live a normal life, but it's a new normal for many of us survivors. And it does get better with time. I'm 1 year and a half post clipping of 5 aneurysms. I still struggle with insomnia, sensivity to noise, and stimuli to the brain, but it's become part of life. Thankfully, some won't even have significant issues, or issues at all. We are all different. Some of us survivors struggle in some ways, but we also have a deeper appreciation for the little things in life, don't we. Blessings,

Ducie said:

Hi. Happy to hear you're doing well. I'm curious. You didn't give much detail surrounding the clipping. Was there a rupture,? Do you have an AVM or aneurysm?
Typically clipping is the most permanent form of treating am aneurysm. Coils need to be followed up with, probably for the rest of your life.
I think everyone walks away with some sort of CHANGE whether it be emotional or physical (or both)
A friend of mind had two brain surgeries after ruptures at the age of 11. He's fine- he's now 45. Since I was diagnosed with my two unruptured aneurysms I tell him how blessed he is that he's got no deficits. He honestly didn't think anything of it until I said it. Youth = resilience
I had a Stent placement may 2008 and a Coil embolization august 2008 with another attempted embolization January of 2009 but it was unnecessary because the remainder of the aneurysm clotted on its own.
Whether there's a rupture or not, once they go into your brain theres always going to be some sort of change. Depending on personal sensitivity. Apparently I'm hypertensive and feel every little change. I also developed chronic headaches & migraines which may have lessened through the years. I suffer from depression and in 2009 I'm pretry sure I had post traumatic stress. Since my mom died suddenly in 1991 at the age of 51 due to an AVM rupture, I'm pretty sure that made the whole experience more emotional for me personally.
I wish you continued good health. Including everyone that posted here. It's the first time I'm checking in and posting with my phone so I hope I'm not missing anything.
Take care & be well

6 months now from my annie/clipping. Had to learn to walk again. Today I did a 12 mile strenuous hike with over 2000 feet of elevation gain. Last weekend rode my bike 101 miles from Vancouver Wa to Astoria. Planning to ride next weekend from Portland to Gearheart Beach. I am 66 years old. Still have some pain but loving every day I have. By doctors and nurse accounts I should be dead. But alive and loving every blessed day.

1 Like

Deng,

All any of us can do is to take one day at a time. Listen to your body and just do the best you can. Consult your doctors with your concerns and know that this group is keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

It’s been 11 years since I have the surgery to clip an aneurysm, I recuperated without any physical side effects, the only thing that I felt and took several years to regain was my self confidence, I became insecure and scared.to be in the spotlight. Now I do t have that anymore but I know how real it was. Hang in there because it all gets better with time. Best luck to you!!

Deng,

My wife is 21 years out from clipping surgery and she is doing well aside of her migraines due to the metal implants from the surgery but as she notes, this is the Cross she must bear.

Eddie

What a great group of survivors. I had my aneurysm 3 1/2 years ago. If you are not feeling any deficit, you are one of the miraculous few Deng. Things don't usually get worse with time, they get better. So if you feel great, count your blessings and live your best life ever!! Get monitored as your doctor recommended and eat healthy, rest and try not to stress. If your family history is low, it lowers your chances of a recurrence. If it is higher, just follow up and do your best to live happily ever after knowing you are one of the blessed few. :))

yes you've done it!! there re many long timers!! i read we almost revert back to the odds of the general public which is very low, i think about 1- 2 percent, think positive, pray often tc

Thank you!

Linda Gilroy said:

My annie was clipped in March of 1998 at 40 years of age. 17.5 years later and I am doing great! The first 5–6 years are the hardest as it is very easy to get over tired without realizing it until after the damage is done. I am still the queen of naps, and post-it notes. I luckily had few deficits but I work around them. Still can’t smell. Things that were ‘important’ before the surgery just weren’t so afterwards. I reset my priorities in life. I am gainfully employed as an office manager/bookkeeper. Expect ups and downs, tiredness and feelings of being stuck on a plateau but it will get better! Good luck to you and all others on this journey we have been ‘chosen’ for!!!

Thank you!

Hi Deng, Find attached the most comprehensive study done on un-ruptured aneurysms as well as showing you the risks with these vile things.

I hope this assists you to better understand the risks associated with them.

I have 5, 2 have been coiled and the other 3 remain untouched, that is my choice!

We are all different and there is no size fits all, different people will have different symptoms, take me for instance, I have no symptoms, pain or otherwise, but one needs to learn to live with them and that is what I have done.

As to living normally, of coarse you can, I do gym daily, you just must not lift weights that cause pressure to build up, but light manageable weights are fine, as is jogging, cycling etc, keep your blood pressure in check, otherwise live as you lived before and avoid any kind of stress.

I continue with my couple of glasses of red wine daily!

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact the site and ask questions, we are all here to help.

Best Regards

Martinc

51-nejm199812103392401.pdf (183 KB)

Deng....please know that you CAN have a "normal" life after this difficult experience. I spent 28 days in the neuro ICU and another week at a hospital for physical therapy. The doc had to go in 3 different times...vasospasms were a real problem for me. After 6 weeks at home I became septic (UTI) and spent another week in the neuro ICU....then another week at a nursing home for a bit more PT. This all happened in 2014. Now...I might struggle during the day but to look at me you wouldn't believe I had a SAH. But...I don't struggle EVERY day. I became quite depressed after going through so much, but time with a therapist and some anti-depressants helped enormously. "Normal" is what we make it. It will be normal for you to have some bad days and also days of doubt and anxiety. Each day will build your strength both physically and emotionally. (and mentally!!) Best of luck and don't let the "what if's" take control. WE are the ones who have control over our lives...not a damn aneurysm!

Great points made, pixiechick66! Each of us will have their own 'normal', but it has everything to do with your mental attitude and calming your fears. I frequently used a herbal remedy called Avena sativa for the feelings of anxiety and it helped a lot and is totally natural (available as drops from health stores). Since I have had 26 years to come to terms with it all I can definitely say time has helped enormously and I really don't have the fear any more. I just live my life to the full and I don't worry about aneurysms. Mine was probably at least partially caused by a car accident in which I sustained a massive whiplash injury. It was the only aneurysm present, and there is no family history of aneurysms. These are all factors but it still is all to do with mind power I believe, so try to relax and not to worry. Great to read of so many survivors here who are doing so well!

Pixiechick66 I relate to you so much, Like you I had a LARGE SAH that had to be Coiled with Multiple 4-6 Coils, I spent A month in ICU, I had Pneumonia, Bacterial Meningitis, Hydrocephalus, Vasospasm's, and many other issues, The Hydrocephalus required me to have a Permanent VP Shunt Place in my Brain with the drain going down my neck, chest to my Abdomen. When release from ICU I spent a week in a IMC Intermediate care Unit, and then went to Inpatient Rehab for 2-3 weeks. It was unbelievable hard, some days I thought NOO Way, at the same time most days I thought I really survived all that, that just doesn't happen. I Had just reached my dream of being a Registered Nurse, I was a Married Mother of 4, I felt so lost, confused, it took quite a lot of prayer reflection, and Trust Me I am still to there, However I do know this, Things that I thought were life or death before, do not even matter today. I try to live as stress free as possible, My anxiety is out of control a lot more often. I struggle with being overly tired, and not knowing when to much is to much, until it is to late. I have also learned my husband and youngest son and oldest Daughter are the only ones that will forever Be there for me. I was Hurt by SO MANY Family members, and so called friends, Everyone made promises to be there, and not fuss or fight over little things and not go extended amount of time without talking. However that all Proved to be VERY UNTRUE. I haven't heard from Most Family and ANY FRIENDS. I have Become SOOO Much closer to GOD MY Holy Father, who has been there for me continuously, without fail.

God Bless you and Stay Positive

pixiechick66 said:

Deng....please know that you CAN have a "normal" life after this difficult experience. I spent 28 days in the neuro ICU and another week at a hospital for physical therapy. The doc had to go in 3 different times...vasospasms were a real problem for me. After 6 weeks at home I became septic (UTI) and spent another week in the neuro ICU....then another week at a nursing home for a bit more PT. This all happened in 2014. Now...I might struggle during the day but to look at me you wouldn't believe I had a SAH. But...I don't struggle EVERY day. I became quite depressed after going through so much, but time with a therapist and some anti-depressants helped enormously. "Normal" is what we make it. It will be normal for you to have some bad days and also days of doubt and anxiety. Each day will build your strength both physically and emotionally. (and mentally!!) Best of luck and don't let the "what if's" take control. WE are the ones who have control over our lives...not a damn aneurysm!

26 years??!! YOU are a success story right there. Thanks for the tip about the Avena sativa drops. I'm all for anything natural that helps. I hope the car accident was not too tragic, physically well-being wise. Did your aneurysm show up then and there or some time after the accident?

Joy Kearney said:

Great points made, pixiechick66! Each of us will have their own 'normal', but it has everything to do with your mental attitude and calming your fears. I frequently used a herbal remedy called Avena sativa for the feelings of anxiety and it helped a lot and is totally natural (available as drops from health stores). Since I have had 26 years to come to terms with it all I can definitely say time has helped enormously and I really don't have the fear any more. I just live my life to the full and I don't worry about aneurysms. Mine was probably at least partially caused by a car accident in which I sustained a massive whiplash injury. It was the only aneurysm present, and there is no family history of aneurysms. These are all factors but it still is all to do with mind power I believe, so try to relax and not to worry. Great to read of so many survivors here who are doing so well!