Bloodwork question

I was on both and I needed bloodwork every few weeks. I believe 6 months is to long to not be monitored. I would call your surgeon’s office.

I read online that they check for therapeutic levels of Plavix once and it isn’t necessary to monitor. I don’t think it is like blood thinners. The doctor told me my levels were therapeutic. It is an anti platelet not an anticoagulant. Maybe that is the difference.

I meant to say I am on it for three months not six.

@joycelee
The main difference between Warfarin, Coumadin and Plavix is that they work on different parts of the coagulation system. Blood thinners makes the blood slower to make clots and anti platelet medication affects the ability for the platelets to form clots. For blood thinners there is an antidote, a drug that can reverse the effect whereas there is no such drug for the anti platelet medication. For example if you eat food that are high in vitamin K, such as some vegetables, it will affect the blood levels and change the dose of Coumadin or Warfarin people need to take. That’s why it has to be monitored often. On the other hand vitamin K doesn’t affect Plavix. Only a handful of other medications can interfere with the absorption. As I mentioned earlier, it is a genetic thing how we respond to Plavix and when we are within the therapeutic range it doesn’t change much. The information about Plavix was what I learned from the pharmacist at the neurosurgeon’s office.

1 Like

Yes, you explained this very well. Thank you! I think since my doctor said my levels were “fine”
was because genetically I have responded well to the drug and was in therapeutic range and no it wouldn’t change if I stuck to the same diet and medicines he knew I was on.

It does make me wonder why other people on Plavix/aspirin here on this site are monitored frequently.

Thanks again for posting such helpful information!

1 Like

Plavix is a blood thinner and should be checked Monthly, plus if you’re also on Aspirin 81mgs. There are different types of blood thinners, but plavix is definitely a blood thinner. I worked in a pharmacy for yrs.

My aneurysm was coiled via a stent a couple of months ago and the interventional neuroradiologist placed me on Clopidogrel (Plavix) and baby aspirin post op. I do not have to undergo any monthly testing and am scheduled for a MRA six months after the endovascular procedure.

That sounds about right! Good luck!

1 Like