Any advice?

I have joined this site as a friend of mine had a ruptured aneurysm a few years ago now (3 years i think) she had no previous warning signs, she had a stent and was in a coma for a short time and it wasn't clear wether she would pull through, anyway she did and she's been doing fantastic. The only signsthat she'd had her aneurysm was that she started to stutter quite badly when she became tired. Which over the past few years has been getting less. Yesterday she went for a routine scan to be told she had fluid on her brain, the hospital wanted to keep her in but she took herself home (she hates hospitals) They said they will re-scan her next week to see if the fluid has gone down. At the moment she has a horrendous headache and is constantly stuttering. She says she is fine but i'm really worried about her. She's in her 50's and the only people she has told is her husband and myself (i'm only 25 and have no idea about this sort of thing) I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on how I can help and support her as I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte,

You're truly a good friend for being here and gathering information that will (or can) help your friend--she is stubborn as a rock it sounds like. The headache is no doubt caused by the hydrocephalas and yes it might go away on its own but then again it may not. You're right to think that she needs hospitalization and hopefully her husband can recognize the same thing and get her to go in or call 911....How very frustrating for you to watch this unfold!

The old saying of 'you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink' applies here...she knows she ought to have this taken care of i'm sure, considering what she's already endured....I'd think the horrendous headache would be enough to get her to agree to go to the hospital....at any rate, keep us posted Charlotte.. peace, Janet

Hi Charlotte! I think you are already doing it, just support her anyway you can, I suggest you get help if possible, you and the husband may need help, my shunt was placed during my sah emergency and I was in a coma for 6 days , so far so good with the shunt, I needed no adjustments or revisions, also I would encourage her to join here - its been the best therapy by far. Writing here forming sentences seems to help the stuttering, has she seen a speech therapist? that would be ideal. What type of scan did she have? keep us updated if possible, thank you for sharing -this is how we learn~~

Unfortunately you can't make her go back to the hospital...You should let her know if there is anything you can do to help her out...you are there for her...just you coming here and asking question, shows you are so supportive...Gotcha in my prayers, along with your friend...keep us posted...~ Colleen

She was told by her doctor/physician (I’m in the uk) to just rest and that she would be ok at home as long as she took it easy which she is. I’m not sure wether she’s had an appointment through for another scan yet but I’m going to see her today so I will be sure to ask her. I just wasn’t sure if it was normal for fluid on the brain to just he left and see what happens as everything I’ve read on ‘dr google’ says they do an operation. I know you should really stay away from google at times like this but i couldn’t help but have a look and I’m glad I did because that’s how I found you guys and I’d like to thank you so much for your lovely, kind hearted replies. She seems to be getting better, I spoke to her on the phone last night and her headache has eased off and she’s stuttering less which is fantastic. She is an amazing friend to me and I actually call her mummy2 and I’m just glad that I can return the favour and be there for her like she has been for me for many years.

Charlotte...you are an extremely thoughtful and caring friend...

Does she have family or some responsible individual you can contact? (right word...a legal ..power of attorney...or whoever to contact if any accident/death? ) If not, can you talk w/her about being her advocate at doctored visits?

I am almost surprised they released her under a questionable status of hydrocephalus...that is one of concern for me...I have (post minimally invasive treatment) what has been termed "hydrocephalus exvacuo"... the only place I could get a specific response on that term "exvacuo" was that means tho I have ventricular damage, my flow of CSF (cerebral spinal fluid...the clear stuff that interacts w/blood flow and cleansing our brain/body systems...too detailed for me here) maintained "normal flow"...thus, far, I have not had to have a shunt implanted...

I do have concerns for CSF flow and shunt implants of others...because of my connection with others...those who survived...and, those who did not...for whatever the real reasons...

Again...you are truly special for your concerns for your friend...you may want to search "hydrocephalous" There are a number of good articles on hydrocephalous and its pressure on the brain...and, which may be affecting your friend...and, then, your ability (and time) to connect w/her doc...w/her...

Prayers...and, once more...you are very special...

Pat