4 month post-craniotomy update

Hi all -- As promised, my 4-month update post craniotomy for an unruptured aneurysm on my left MCA.

Things are nearly back to normal. My jaw pain is mostly gone, and I can open my mouth almost as much as I used to be able to. Feeling has returned (mostly) to my scalp. I've got my energy back, I feel great, and I don't think much about the surgery.

Two things that might be of interest for those preparing for craniotomies:

1) Nearly 3-months to the date of my surgery, my hair started falling out -- 5 or 6 strands every time I run my hands through my hair. I went to the dermatologist and he immediately predicted the date of my surgery when I told him -- apparently I have something called Telogen Effluvium, which is hair shedding that commonly begins 3 months after major surgery and lasts for 3-4 months. He put me on a multivitamin that has a kick of folic acid and B12 and told me not to worry unless I was still shedding in the new year. I found this great article on it in case you're interested. https://forum.womenshairlossproject.com/threads/telogen-effluvium-recovery.4958/

2) I'm still feeling a little more sensitive to light than I was before the surgery. My annie was discovered because I have ocular migraines (unrelated, sadly, to the aneurysm and stilly happening post-surgery), so light sensitivity isn't uncommon for me, but I think I'm either more susceptible to light now...or perhaps just more paranoid about it. But it's a minor thing.

I really do feel pretty close to 100% now, though. I hope this can serve as a comfort to those of you who are considering surgery, waiting for it, or just beginning your recovery!

1 Like