2nd Aneurysm

Hi Guys, hoping someone can answer my question. I had an aneurysm that ruptured when I was 16 (yr 2005). I've been having a lot of headaches lately, and I know that was 1 of the symptoms of the aneurysm before it ruptured. Could I get another aneurysm in my lifetime?

I'm glad you asked, Maryke. Here is some information from the BAF website:

"10 – 15% of patients diagnosed with a brain aneurysm will harbor more than one aneurysm."

Of course, we don't know in your case what is happening, and there could be many other reasons for your headaches, but it is a good time to check in with your doctor, I think.

Technically yes, you can always develop new ones, as far as I know. But headaches are not necessarily linked to the aneurysm, anyway you should definitely go see a doctor if you suspect anything!

Maryke...

What follow-up angiograms/other imaging was done at what intervals?

When were you told there was no further need for follow-ups?

I know a number of those with more than one aneurysm...so if it has been awhile since your last check-up, do ask your doctor?

What has your PCP/GP advised you of your headaches?

Prayers for your next step and your letting us know your results...

Pat

I TOO HAD A RUPTURED ANEURYSM IN 1999. EVERY 5 YEARS I HAVE AN XRAY DONE TO BE SURE NOTHING ELSE IS GOING ON. TALK WITH YOUR DOCTOR. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Hi Maryke. I, like many others who have answered here, are wondering if you were clipped or coiled, which does make a difference. With coiling, it's typical to have MRA's yearly (at least for the first few years in the US) as follow up. With clipping, it varies - most of the sites tell you there is no followup needed, but I think that is on a case to case basis.

I do agree that you need to call your doctor's office and arrange an appointment, which I hope can happen soon. My annie did not rupture, but when I have headaches now (which is thankfully rarely), it does cause me to worry. Keep us informed - Sherri

In one of my followup doctor appointments I was told by a Nuero Surgeon that there is a 20% chance with after having on another could occur (Statistictly) of another in the next 10 years. If you are having headaches see your doctor. Praying for you, Dano