1 year follow up

Going to see my neurosurgeon today it’s been a year after my rupture . Had a coiling done at that time and then in May I had a craniotomy for my second Annie. I Would like to know what kind of questions I need to ask him and if I need to request any CT. Scans or a MRI ect . Thanks for all your answers Rose

Hi. Good luck. I had an angiogram for my first check…through the femoral artery. Was nothing compared to the procedure. My follow ups have been MRI/MRA’s since then… All okay for 10 years. I think they get plenty of info with the MRI/MRA. Just an hour of crazy pounding noise. Let us know how it goes.

Hi Rosanna, When I went for my one year appointment (25 years ago) I was still having terrible headaches and was worried - I'd had a craniotomy and clipping for a ruptured aneurysm. The surgeon I spoke to ordered a CT scan just to be on the safe side but said he didn't expect to find "much". My mom was worried this meant there might be something but it was just a figure of speech, he didn't expect anything to show up and it didn't. I never had another problem. So I would say ask everything when you're there, write it all down so you don't forget, tell about your worries, get answers and it will ease your mind. Afterwards I always bore in mind the words of this surgeon after the CT results: "There is nothing there that shouldn't be". Put my mind at ease completely. Good luck!

I experienced a rupture 5 years ago, and then returned 4 months later for a craniotomy to clip the two remaining. Since every case is different, especially in the last five years many protocols have changed base don new findings about post rupture after effects, etc. Your surgeon will have a plan in place base don your age, history, location and size of aneurysms,, and a myriad of other criteria. You need to ask, first, what is the plan for continued monitoring? Also, ask what you should do if/when you have any "strange" and new symptoms. In addition, now that a year has passed and you are aneurysms free, what can do do/not do to resume your life? Are there behaviors that you should not do, etc. I was pretty much turned loose after a year and several CTs and an angio, just told not to overdo anything. Work with your surgeon, and don't pay a lot of mind to what happened to others as your case will be handled by the doctors most familiar with what happened to YOU. Good luck, and congratulations for this first year.

I'm curious as to how much is left to your choice. In our experience, the doctors told us what needed to be done, and we have not had any good reason to distrust them. My wife will be having another checkup in a few months, and they are planning another angiogram.

Ask about anything that is a question in your mind. Ask for clarifications if you need some. You might ask what kind of test provides the best feedback on your current condition. That would be critical if further treatment should be recommended--you want to be sure that the recommended treatment is what you need. Sometimes asking questions is doing your medical providers a favor; they don't know what is on your mind, and they often love to share their understanding. If they care about you (as they should), they will be glad to answer and discuss.

Let us know how this turns out. We hope for you that it will be a good learning experience as well as a helpful checkup.

I just had my first year follow-up angiogram. I had coiling. I feel great. My mother pointed out that I don't have headaches anymore. I had not noticed. Any how, the angiogram went great. The coils are tight. I will have one more angiogram next year at this time. If all is well, then I will do MRIs after for seven years. Well, I am guessing seven because he told me last year that I would his patient for ten years. So I figure three years of angiograms and the procedure, and then MRIs. I had one annie that was not touched because it is above the eye and not in the brain cavity so we have to watch that one too.

So to prepare, I would just ask the doc what his future plan is for treatment. I would also ask if there are any symptoms or issues would require that you should contact him/her. Otherwise, just follow the his/her treatment plan. Good luck at your appointment and Happy New Year!

Misnick

I’ve had no follow-ups for my craniotomy-clipping in 1999. In 2008 I had an endovascular graft to repair an aortic aneurysm, and this is checked every year with either a CT scan or an ultrasound. I wouldn’t ask for anything, let them decide for you. The doctors are the experts.

David Andrus

David Andrus said:

I've had no follow-ups for my craniotomy-clipping in 1999. In 2008 I had an endovascular graft to repair an aortic aneurysm, and this is checked every year with either a CT scan or an ultrasound. I wouldn't ask for anything, let them decide for you. The doctors are the experts.

David Andrus

I've had 2 angiograms so far. The first a year after my coiling, the second a year after that. No problems what-so-ever. All I asked was did they see anything I should be concerned about? They'll tell you anyway.

Hi, no disrespect intended but I completely disagree with the comment, “don’t ask questions, just trust your doctors.” If I’d followed that advice I wouldn’t be alive today. Anyhow!

On my first year anniversary after surgery with an amazing neuro who obliterated my aneurysm, he gave me an angiogram to look around and check things. He said it was the “gold standard” of diagnostics, and everything showed up fine.

Moving forward I will have some type of scan every year or so, and then every 5 years.

Please always ask questions. Doctors are just people and you don’t need to worship them or have blind faith. A good doctor expects you to, and doesn’t mind. My original surgeon, the one who botched my surgery and couldn’t get it clipped right? He was the one who didn’t want questions. Best of luck :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your answers and input. But when I got there no sooner than I get in the room he was called down to the ER for A Emergency so I saw his nurse and I will be going back was not mad or upset because a year ago that was me in that ER. Thanks again everyone Happy New year and Bless us all.

I agree with some responses and some not but if your doctor didn’t schedule some kind of test prior to the appointment then they probably will once you see them. My first test was an MRA with and without contrast. Some folks had an angiogram. I didn’t have that until about 6 months after I think. Anyway I’m scheduled for an MRA this coming Saturday and then seeing doctor a week later. This will be my 1 year check up and will go from there. Ask whatever questions you have on your recovery etc. until you feel good with the responses. Can’t say enough that we all recover at our own rate so don’t feel you have to have what others have had. Each doctor has their own protocol they follow. I got caught up in what others have had and it stressed me out thinking my doctor wasn’t doing the right thing. If you don’t feel good about anything consider getting a second opinion but just ask if you need any tests, MRI/MRA, angiogram etc, how often and go with your instincts too. So I guess I’m saying, use our responses as a place to start for questions and if you forget to ask something just call them later. That’s how I’ve done all my visits. I have such a terrible memory my husband comes with me and he pipes up if I forget too. Good luck with your visit and let us know how it goes!

The response you are referring to said let the dr choose the test rather than you telling them what test you want. They didnt suggest that you don’t ask questions. I trust that my dr is suggesting the appropriate test and if I didn’t agree I would say so but really, the man is a neurosurgeon. He isn’t a God but he sure as hell knows more about what to do than I do. Anyway I know you had a bad experience but thankfully you are here and a survivor!
Jennifer said:

Hi, no disrespect intended but I completely disagree with the comment, “don’t ask questions, just trust your doctors.” If I’d followed that advice I wouldn’t be alive today. Anyhow!

On my first year anniversary after surgery with an amazing neuro who obliterated my aneurysm, he gave me an angiogram to look around and check things. He said it was the “gold standard” of diagnostics, and everything showed up fine.

Moving forward I will have some type of scan every year or so, and then every 5 years.

Please always ask questions. Doctors are just people and you don’t need to worship them or have blind faith. A good doctor expects you to, and doesn’t mind. My original surgeon, the one who botched my surgery and couldn’t get it clipped right? He was the one who didn’t want questions. Best of luck :slight_smile:

Yes, ask questions!! My annie ruptured on the operating table, surgeon had to work very fast to get it clipped. I now have some brain damage due to the fast work but he did save my life! The surgeon did not inform me of the damage after the surgry, maybe it was too soon to tell. I had to see my neurologist in my hometown and he asked when did I have the trauma to my head that caused brain damage?? My husband and I were shocked. He saw it on one of my reports and did not realize it was from my surgery. We later had to follow up with the surgeon and got more answers then. Ask if there was any damage done during surgery! I now have severe balance issues which were explained to me by my physical therapist that it was common in people with brain damage. The barometric pressure really affects my daily activities. Thankful to be alive!!

The great thing for me when I went for my 1-year-out follow-up, Rosanna, was that the only question that needed to be asked was concerning my desire to be weaned of my anticonvulsants; supposedly, anticonvulsants prolonged use can lead to organ damage.

As far as the coiling goes, I don't know; I don't think coiling, as a procedure, existed in 1987. However, I would just be blunt with the surgeon. I think I remember having taken CT Scans and/or MRI's with me. The follow-up, for me, was great. Oh yeah, if its possible, I would get written confirmation that, if you had any clips that were used, the clips were made of Titanium or some other non-metallic metal.

Johns Hopkins University Hospital, years after my craniotomy, refused to perform an MRI on me, due to the fact that it wasn't "known" whether my clips, installed at University Hospital, in London, Ontario were non-magnetic, or not. Do yourself a favor and get a doctor to verify that your clips are non-metallic. Get this information in writing.

I agree that it is important to have records of the material used in your brain. Another hospital that I needed an MRI on my back refused to do it until they had the name of the devices used in my brain. One of them was newer and they had never heard of it so they wrote to the company who manufactured it. I didn't blame them - I was glad that they were careful.

Sherri

Matt Ramsey said:

The great thing for me when I went for my 1-year-out follow-up, Rosanna, was that the only question that needed to be asked was concerning my desire to be weaned of my anticonvulsants; supposedly, anticonvulsants prolonged use can lead to organ damage.

As far as the coiling goes, I don't know; I don't think coiling, as a procedure, existed in 1987. However, I would just be blunt with the surgeon. I think I remember having taken CT Scans and/or MRI's with me. The follow-up, for me, was great. Oh yeah, if its possible, I would get written confirmation that, if you had any clips that were used, the clips were made of Titanium or some other non-metallic metal.

Johns Hopkins University Hospital, years after my craniotomy, refused to perform an MRI on me, due to the fact that it wasn't "known" whether my clips, installed at University Hospital, in London, Ontario were non-magnetic, or not. Do yourself a favor and get a doctor to verify that your clips are non-metallic. Get this information in writing.

Thanks for letting us know. Please do let us know how your visit is after you finally see him - I agree, it's hard to be mad at your doctor when you know they are probably trying to save someone's life.